Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

The Neverending Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:28 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX E85 VF34
The Neverending Problem

Hey all,
I'm getting ready to take my car to a shop as I just can't figure this out:
Original setup: Stock 2.0 Turbo Motor with tune and full turboback. Nothing else Ran perfect for three straight years.
New setup thruoghout last year: 80K on motor
Stock 2.0 block, Following had about 15K on them when I bought them all used from same person: APS FMIC, Samco Inlet Hose, Hallman MBC, IHI VF34 turbo, Walbro Fuel Pumo, STI pinks, Cobb VF34 base tune.
Car will idle perfectly sometimes and then as if a goblin gets in it starts idling horribly and eventually dies at the drop of a hat. When driving car will run fine then suddenly die. Goofiest of all No CEL's thrown!
Fixes I have attempted: Put bottle of fuel system cleaner through it(Injectors maybe?) Changed oil, New tank of gas put through it, Gone through hudreds of time to try to find possible hoses leaking, Car not burning oil, no smoke coming from oil filler cap when opened and car running.

What I can't get over is how car will run perfect one second and then suddenly switch over and rough idel and die. Appreciate any help!
-Brian
P.S. I also have an APS intake but the car behaves Exactly the same with or without it
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
hmm.. try DbTuned man.. he will figure out ur issue fo sho!