Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Need advice for EJ20 replacement/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
Need advice for EJ20 replacement/rebuild

Soooo, turns out I really over exaggerated on the oil issue. The residue I was seeing was from a couple leaky gaskets near the Oil pan, that issue is going to be resolved on Monday

I guess I never really posted my end goal, which was to create a reliable 300 whp daily. After looking through the numbers of everything I'm going to need to do that, it really isn't looking good

That being said I'm probably going to be selling the car to purchase an STi rather than do the engine swap/hybrid rebuild, thanks again for everyone's advice!

Last edited by 03'EyeBug; 03-21-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 2002 Blaze Yellow WRX
Just went through the same analysis after the dealer blew my engine and I decided on a hybrid build.

1. The EJ20 is too small and doesn't scale well. Besides, my block is cracked, so it's not an option for me.
2. The JDM v7/v8 swap is a great solution, but I didn't want to deal with changing ECU's, custom wiring, and finding parts if something breaks.
3. The cost of the hybrid is about $1,000 more total (short-block, machined heads, oil pump, gaskets, etc.), but adds 25% more displacement, a stronger bottom end, and better reliability, plus can handle more performance goodies.
4. If you love your bugeye, do what you need to keep it.

Tough to say how the tranny will hold up, but I haven't heard of any hybrid owners complain about failures. With a 110K mi, it's due to break anyway....
Old 03-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
I vote for the hybrid setup with a reliable 300WHP on the 5 speed.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I would recommend the hybrid setup as well, just make sure its all done properly!

I would also very highly recommend against just using a stock EJ257 shortblock. The stock pistons are weak as everyone knows, and this is especially true in the newer factory blocks. Since you will have everything apart anyway, it would be a better idea to at least get some forged pistons in the block at this point. What I usually recommend to customers is to find a used STI shortblock with a blown piston for sale. These usually go for about $300-$400 in the classifieds. Then you can use that as a core to build a nice, strong shortblock that will last you a long time and take all the abuse you can throw at it.

Give us a call if you have any questions. We've been doing a lot of hybrid builds lately.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks ed, ive been nothing but satisfied with all the work you guys have done to my car, ill probably be calling you again here shortly.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 AM

And thanks to everyone else for the insight, i think im going to stick with the hybrid build with forged internals rather than drop in a whole motor
Old 03-19-2010, 02:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by 03'EyeBug
And thanks to everyone else for the insight, i think im going to stick with the hybrid build with forged internals rather than drop in a whole motor
Good choice . Give us a call or stop by sometime and we can go over some options.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Asinine
J

Tough to say how the tranny will hold up, but I haven't heard of any hybrid owners complain about failures. With a 110K mi, it's due to break anyway....
I have rebuilt many 5spd transmissions that failed shortly after a hybrid swap.
My data says that 40% fail within the 1st yr.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Which is why I think a stroked EJ205 is better for most people facing this decision who are not planning on an upgraded tranny at the same time. Either that or de-tuning midrange boost on a hybrid. Something like MBC at 12psi with a rising boost curve towards redline, when you can make power with less torque. A stroker gets the same kind of torque band without the special tuning-fu... and you can rev it out to 8k to get equivalent airflow to an ej255 / 257 that doesn't have a balanced bottom end (which is most hybrids since they either keep the whole OEM shortblock or they just do pistons without splitting the block & balancing rods / crank).

Last edited by Concillian; 03-19-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

I see what you're saying, but I honestly doubt that limiting the torque output is going to greatly reduce the risk of tranny failure. I believ that mostly has to do with the driver and how they tend to shift. There are also the unlucky ones that brake their trannies with stage 2 power levels.

BTW, we never recommend using a factory shortblock, and wr never build drop-in piston motors. All of our EQ shortblocks have balanced pistons and rods and polished and balanced cranks.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
while i agree the problem with the tranny breaking is the steering wheel gasket. its not completely the persons fault. they have more power and want to use it lol so its like a catch 22
Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 AM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
I was wondering, What should I do to get my 02 WRX to run 250-275whp reliably? It's gonna be my DD for a while until I get a beater. I just got my WRX about a week and a half ago so i'm still new to it.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 Blaze Yellow WRX
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I would recommend the hybrid setup as well, just make sure its all done properly!

I would also very highly recommend against just using a stock EJ257 shortblock. The stock pistons are weak as everyone knows, and this is especially true in the newer factory blocks. Since you will have everything apart anyway, it would be a better idea to at least get some forged pistons in the block at this point. What I usually recommend to customers is to find a used STI shortblock with a blown piston for sale. These usually go for about $300-$400 in the classifieds. Then you can use that as a core to build a nice, strong shortblock that will last you a long time and take all the abuse you can throw at it.

Give us a call if you have any questions. We've been doing a lot of hybrid builds lately.

Thanks
-- Ed
How weak is weak? I'm building a DD that will put out 275awhp at most.

-jeff
Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Guillermo
I was wondering, What should I do to get my 02 WRX to run 250-275whp reliably? It's gonna be my DD for a while until I get a beater. I just got my WRX about a week and a half ago so i'm still new to it.
250 WHP is really tame, a factory 02 engine can handle that with zero problems. I'm tuned to 220 (on the stock turbo) and my coolant temps, oil temp and fuel consumption are LOWER than the factory tune. As long as you have no (and I mean NO) detonation, the factory motor can handle 250 whp without flinching. Just don't cut corners on supporting mods (injectors, fuel pump, turbo, coolant lines, intercooler).
Old 04-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX MBP, 2008 LGT spec. B
hey op let me know how the build goes, im pretty much in the exact same dilemma you are =/

Quick Reply: Need advice for EJ20 replacement/rebuild