Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

My 2004 WRX is really shaking big time, Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:12 AM

Car Info: 2004 Rally Blue WRX Sedan
My 2004 WRX is really shaking big time, Need some help!

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out and give me some ideas on what to do or who I should take my car for help. Recently my car has been making this shaking noise (sounds like a loose metal rattle). It is coming from the front, right side of the car. I decided to lift the car up and take a look at it and sure enough, the noise is coming from the area of my uppipe. (which is an after market up pipe) I double checked all the heat shield and made sure they were tight. I even took the heat shield off and checked the bolts on the up pipe but unfortunately I dont have the right tools to take it off or anything. I asked around and even called the old shop that installed this uppipe (I think it was MPJ) and they think its a loose O2 Sensor. Oh one other thing my car does too, the shaking sounds like its getting louder at idle and now the car engine sort of studders now but not enough for the engine to stop.

I have already taken this to a local mechanic and Subaru and so far, they have no idea or they are going to charge me up the $$$ to fix it. I called MPJ and they are nice to take a look at it but not till next week. In the mean time, I thought I ask around and see if there is anything I could do. I know you guys know way more than I do with Subies.

Thanks in advanced. I am in big need for help since I dont have the $$$ to fix it at Subaru.

I am also in the Berkeley area so any local folks around here, I appreciate the help.

Peace

Randy
Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Any other mods?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:10 PM

Car Info: WRC replica
You mentioned the noise is getting louder at idle right? Normally it is not the heatshield thing cuz it won't get louder and louder. Did you put the EGT sensor back into the aftermarket uppipe? If so, something might broke and got into your turbo now or it might be the blade got sherred!! I hope not tho. Good luck!!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:49 PM

Car Info: wrx
May be you have to change your motor mounts. My friends car was really shaking and vibrating at idle, then he changed his motor mounts and it runs like a new car. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:05 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
or it could be that he has aftermarket motor mounts. that will cause shaking.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
If you get a chance to drop by the shop come by and see us, should be something easy to determine.

Mike