Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Motor re-build around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 04 EJ207 6mt WRX, 08 Spec B
Motor re-build around the corner

So just wanted to get some suggestions on either a motor swap or re-build. What would be more cost efficient and more stout, a complete EJ207 STI motor with a blouch 18g and methanol water injection with a target horsepower of 380-400hp with supporting mods of course or re-build the existing EJ20 in my 2004 wrx, sleeved, aftermarket con rods and pistons, crower stage 2 cams, with same turbo set up as above and meth/water as well. This will be used as just something fun to drive, have the power available when i need it, everyday daily driver, could see some light track duty, you guys know the drill. So hit me with some advice, thanks..
Old 03-30-2008, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by jam007
So just wanted to get some suggestions on either a motor swap or re-build. What would be more cost efficient and more stout, a complete EJ207 STI motor with a blouch 18g and methanol water injection with a target horsepower of 380-400hp with supporting mods of course or re-build the existing EJ20 in my 2004 wrx, sleeved, aftermarket con rods and pistons, crower stage 2 cams, with same turbo set up as above and meth/water as well. This will be used as just something fun to drive, have the power available when i need it, everyday daily driver, could see some light track duty, you guys know the drill. So hit me with some advice, thanks..
Meth = not daily driver. O4 WRX + 400hp = transmission replacement. 18g + 2.0l = no power until 4400 RPM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 PM

So tune two seperate maps for the meth, HI-LO boost setting. Trans dont be a complete idiot while shifting, and was going to use the meth to help spool 18g....
Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by meilers
18g + 2.0l = no power until 4400 RPM.
A buddy of mine has an 18g on a 2.0l and hes at full boost at about 3400(no meth). i think your talking about something quite a bit bigger.

Your going to need a new tranny with that much power, unless you don't want to be able to use the parts you spent all the money on.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

was going to use the meth to help spool 18g....
I've got no intention of being insulting here, but do you know what methanol injection is and what it does? It has NOTHING to do with how quickly a turbo spools, only the amount of boost you can put through it without premature detonation. How fast a turbo spools has to do with how much exhaust pressure reaches the turbo vanes how fast, and the diameter of the turbine inlet.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:35 AM

Help me again if im wrong, meth/water injection helps cool intake temps, which makes air more dense, the more dense the more you can compress, which makes a faster motor correct? So turbo works off exhaust impulse of the motor, if the motor his rotating and reciprocating faster with the meth/water the turbo will spool faster...correct?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
VIP Member

Help me again if im wrong, meth/water injection helps cool intake temps, which makes air more dense, the more dense the more you can compress, which makes a faster motor correct? So turbo works off exhaust impulse of the motor, if the motor his rotating and reciprocating faster with the meth/water the turbo will spool faster...correct?
Sure, that's part of it. However, turbo spool-up happens *before* full boost, and all the injection systems I have seen do not trigger until you've actually reached full boost (or within 1 or 2 psi of that). The meth injection isn't going off until you've reached the safety limit of your boost PSI, and then letting you go beyond that safety limit by simulating higher-octane fuel (suppression of combustion) and a slightly denser intake charge. The effects of meth injection can also be created by just getting a bigger, more efficient intercooler, spraying CO2 on the intercooler or using 93 or 100-octane fuel.

Turbo spool-up is a function of the internal size of the hot-side compression chamber, the drag of the spindle (ball bearing, etc.) and the volume of exhaust coming down the turbine inlet. You will get more exhaust with more RPMs and a leaner fuel mixture, but that's pretty much a function of the engine and how many cfm's of exhaust it generates. Once the hot-side chamber is pressurized, only then can it begin to compress the cold side (which is in vacuum until boost). A bigger turbo can support more CFMs of flow and has greater potential for peak boost, but also takes more time to pressurize the hot side. "Porting" the hot side inlet sometimes increases spool, but most turbos are pretty well designed from the factory and I haven't seen drastic improvements with ported turbos.

I've driven a friend's 2.0l WRX with an 18g, as well as the same car a few months later with a PE18 -- NUTS power, but definitely more lag than a VF34 and weak as a kitten below 3000 rpm. Literally, stock Accords and Civics and Camrys were constantly leaving me at the stoplight unless I gunned it to get it moving. Also, he had a stock clutch and the R/A gearset, and you could feel the transfer case flex on launch and on the 2/3 shift, the entire car would lurch. I think 300whp is doable with the 2.0l and the 5MT, but you would really have to baby it, keep the stock clutch (don't get an aftermarket carbon fiber) and don't do 4500-rpm drops or launches. I've only got a measly 210 whp in my 02 WRX, and I already feel like the transmission is on borrowed time. Shifting from 1 to 2 at high rpms/full boost is a struggle, and 4 is also hard to find at full boost/torque, as if the entire transfer case was distorting.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 AM

thank you for the extra knowledge of this system, it clears up alot of things. So pretty much stay conservative on the transmission, alright one more thing ive read some pretty good things about these Big 16g's any experience with these?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Meth = not daily driver. O4 WRX + 400hp = transmission replacement. 18g + 2.0l = no power until 4400 RPM.
Please explain.
I have a few customers...as well as my own vehicle...that are daily driven using water/alcohol injection.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Hey Paul if going with a JDM EJ207 with AVCS how or what engine management can I use as it sits right now I have the COBB AP V2 with a PDX tune can I get a Protune and still use this, even thought it will be a japanese ECU? I want the AVCS to work.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Please explain.
I have a few customers...as well as my own vehicle...that are daily driven using water/alcohol injection.
The definition of "daily driver" definitely differs with the driver; someone who owns a tuner shop probably has a lot more tolerance for the quirks and oddities of a tuned car than someone who's just getting started. Having a second tank of liquid that you have to keep a vigilant eye on, mixing methanol to water in the right proportions and finding methanol in the first place (unless you just want to get lazy and throw windshield fluid in there) are the sorts of things most people aren't willing to deal with, which is why almost no factory cars have ever come with meth/water injection.

The two meth-injected cars I've driven/ridden in were atypical (one was a twin-turbo Grand National, boss!); they had so much power they had no business at all being on the street. Meth was used as that final solution to detonation that allowed them to go from decent to idiotic levels of power, but with it shut off they still made great numbers (and went through tires twice a year).
Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 PM

The definition of "daily driver" definitely differs with the driver; someone who owns a tuner shop probably has a lot more tolerance for the quirks and oddities of a tuned car than someone who's just getting started. Having a second tank of liquid that you have to keep a vigilant eye on, mixing methanol to water in the right proportions and finding methanol in the first place (unless you just want to get lazy and throw windshield fluid in there) are the sorts of things most people aren't willing to deal with, which is why almost no factory cars have ever come with meth/water injection.
Someone who was just getting started would not be buying such a big setup. They would be starting out with exhaust and bolt on stuff. I believe most new methanol setups are tuned by engine load (correct me if im wrong paul), and also have a built in tank gauge. What ive seen on the new aquamist setup if a line gets clogged or the tank gets down to a certian lvl the car will default to wastegate pressure. A 50/50 mix isn't very hard to do.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 AM

Well this isnt totally my first rodeo, ive had other vehicles. I already have all your basic mods, im just not willing to put more money into a motor getting to be up there in the miles. I asked for opinions on motor swaps as well as advice obviously meth/water has become such a issue, so thanks for everyones input. I have already found the direction i am going to go in....thanks

Last edited by jam007; 04-02-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Have you thought about buying an STi? Now, I'm not bashing the wrx! I used to own a wrx and they are great cars....but with your power goals of 380-400hp the STi has the transmission and brakes to support that power level and would be a better platform to start with.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Yea, bro but this one will be payed off and in 2004 when the STI's started to arrive I didnt have that kind of cash, plus the insurance was outragious for me. But i know what you mean.

Quick Reply: Motor re-build around the corner