Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

More HP but less Torque

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 04:54 AM
VIP Member

Flywheels and torque converters

Joenewbie:

The automatic does not have a flywheel. It uses a torqueconverter in the place of the clutch/flywheel assembly.

The mod of choice for the automatic is to go to a high stall torque converter.

You will lose a little gas milage, and at sedate driving speeds the car will take a little more throttle to accelerate.

But when you really get on it at low rpm, the higher stall speed of the torque converter will allow the engine to rev up into its power band much quicker, and give a much better acceleration on the low end.

Larry
Old 12-22-2002, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 04 GGA+
Lots of good advice above. My "maximum driveability/reliability" formula has been to set my goals at approx 300 hp (crank) for sake of driveline and engine internals. I also want as much low/midrange torque as possible. I wanted the quickest spooling turbo possible for my goals- thus my decision to keep the TD04. I've also came to the conclusion that the oe intercooler is up to the task. I replaced the uppipe w/ a catless STI one (jetcoated) as this seemed to offer the best odds against leaking (four months strong now). The uppipe also allows for a quicker spool and reduces egts. I went w/ ScoobySport turboback (minus the 3rd oe cat, per SCCA) because of the torque curve it offered (also allowed mixing/matching w/ oe pieces). I've installed Samco intercooler hoses, both for their performance gains as well as there reliability. I've got a Samco turbo inlet on the way- again some performance gains, increased reliability. I've left the intake stock except a ITG panel filter and "hacking" the silencer (removing the resonator section). My last and final step is going to be a ECUTEK reflash, again good performance gains (~ 30 hp/ft lbs) w/ the reliability/driveability of the oe ecu.

I've combined this w/ a well sorted suspension (STI v7 springs/struts/tops/sways/bushings/mounts), good tires/wheels (Toyo T1S's/Volk TE 37's) and uprated brakes (DBA club spec rotors/Ferodo pads/Goodridge lines/Motul fluid- working on a ducting system). I have a very driveable/reliable (and quick) car that I can autox/rallyx and track w/ confidence.

My two bits.

big sky