Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Misfire after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Misfire after timing belt change

I took my car in to get a timing belt changed. While they were in there, they re-sealed the oil pump because it was leaking, and replaced the crank seal and water pump. They also replaced the crank sprocket.

I get it back and about 2 blocks away I get misfire codes for cylinder 1 and 3. I didn't hear any misfire, but I brought it back so they could check it out. Since nothing seemed to be wrong, they cleared it and I went on my way to see if it would come back on. It did the next day, but this time only cylinder 1, again with no obvious misfire feeling. They pulled the plug from Cylinder 1 and it looked clean. We hooked it up to an OBDII logger and drove around a while and no misfires were reported, it seemed to be pretty normal. So I took it home again (last night), and I drove it for a while and the light came back on this morning.

The light doesn't come on under high boost or anything like that. The last time, I was going about 25mph in 2nd gear, and I wasn't accelerating at all. It seems to take a few drives to get it to come on, but when it does come on, it'll do so the first 5 min. of driving.

I bought my car about 3 weeks ago and it was running fine then. It came completely catless, and no CELs. I'm guessing the previous previous owner had some sort of tune on it, but not sure (going up to EQ to get it tuned next weekend).

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem after the above maintenance happened, and if so what was your solution.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM

Car Info: sti
Umm... Try swapping out the the cylinder 1 coil pack to one of the other cylinders like maybe number 4 and see if the misfire goes to that cylinder(number 4).

Regards,

Ron
Old 10-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by STINGR3
Umm... Try swapping out the the cylinder 1 coil pack to one of the other cylinders like maybe number 4 and see if the misfire goes to that cylinder(number 4).

Regards,

Ron
Thanks for the reply. The coil packs don't seem to be the problem. I've had them check that along with the plugs (sorry, I forgot to mention it). I'm mostly looking for info on anything that could have happened with the timing belt change that would cause this, because the coils and plugs were good before that, but now I'm having problems immediately after this maintenance.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by xdeathwishx
Thanks for the reply. The coil packs don't seem to be the problem. I've had them check that along with the plugs (sorry, I forgot to mention it). I'm mostly looking for info on anything that could have happened with the timing belt change that would cause this, because the coils and plugs were good before that, but now I'm having problems immediately after this maintenance.
Honestly it's hard to say, but swapping out coil packs would be the first thing I would do as a process of elimination. Cylinder misfire codes are one of those things that are hard to track down on our subarus. Your best bet is to take it back to the shop that worked on it and go on from there since the problem was not there to begin with.

Ron
Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Honestly it's hard to say, but swapping out coil packs would be the first thing I would do as a process of elimination. Cylinder misfire codes are one of those things that are hard to track down on our subarus. Your best bet is to take it back to the shop that worked on it and go on from there since the problem was not there to begin with.

Ron
Thanks. Yeah, they have the car still, so I guess I'll see what they say. I'm just worried they won't be able to figure it out because they aren't really a tuning shop and don't know much about flashed ECUs, etc. I'll post up here when I hear back.

-Sean
Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I'm mostly looking for info on anything that could have happened with the timing belt change that would cause this
1. Static timing marks could be set incorrectly.

2. Bent valve(s).

3. Engine harness damaged.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
2. Bent valve(s).
Ouch.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
1. Static timing marks could be set incorrectly.

2. Bent valve(s).

3. Engine harness damaged.
Are bent valves really noticeable? Like, would I be able to sit in my car and say "something is seriously wrong here" because of this, or can it be pretty subtle?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Thanks. Yeah, they have the car still, so I guess I'll see what they say. I'm just worried they won't be able to figure it out because they aren't really a tuning shop and don't know much about flashed ECUs, etc. I'll post up here when I hear back.

-Sean
I think your best bet is to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ron
Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 AM

I think your best bet is to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ron
Noted. They're pretty good guys and never let me down before, so we'll see how it plays out.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Noted. They're pretty good guys and never let me down before, so we'll see how it plays out.
Yea like what Paul said those are the possibilities, just didn't wanna go there. But I hope all is good.

Regards,

Ron
Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 PM

Just got it back. It wasn't my imagination, the car was shaking more than usual. Now it's smooth. It was off a tooth.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM

Just got it back. It wasn't my imagination, the car was shaking more than usual. Now it's smooth. It was off a tooth.
I'm not going to say anything. But yes if it's off a tooth it will do that. Glad you got that taken care of.

Ron