Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

May have damaged exhaust after bottoming out (was: help...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:57 AM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
help...

So I got my axcess port like a week ago and when I reflashed my ECU to stage 1 my turbo started to make some wierd loud noises. So last wensday my car got, Cobb Dp, Cobb Upipe, Apexi N1 and a stage 2 dyno tune. Everything was going fine my car adapted and it was alot faster. The problem is that, my exhuast hangs very low, I mean low. Ive nicked it a couple times but today I was on a drive and I bottomed out and hit it pretty hard. I parked my car and like a hour later my car was making some very different noises. Gratned it was making noises when it was on stage 1. But now something is up. I think I may have hit my exhuast so hard that I messed up a flange, swiss cheesed my exhuast , or knocked my turbo somehow. So im going to get it checked out on moday, hopfully its not going to blow.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I wasn't sure what your question was and your post title was pretty vague, too.

Did you take a look underneath your car to see what the problem might be? Why does your exhaust hang so low in the first place? Are you missing some exhaust hangers? A good exhaust shop may be able to bend your existing exhaust closer to the chassis, if the exhaust is still salvageable. Otherwise, get a new exhaust that doesn't hang so low because you are bound to bottom out again.

Maybe you need to modify your suspension if it is too soft for the type of driving you do.

0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Yeah I did, I can only see where I knicked it right on the edge of the muffler, everywere else is fine. The reason the exhuast sits so low is cause (this is my 2 cents) the subaru performance shop I go to they are not exhuaste people, they just get the kit and bolt it in. They do very little welding. Yes all my hangers are there. Yeah I havent adjusted my suspesnion yet but im going to. Yeah I have a appt for tuesday to get my exhuast fixed at a exhuat shop but I think im going to get my car checked out first monday. And if it is the exhuast and I have to buy a new one, Im not going to I can finally sell my car and go EURO!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:22 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by JJNorCalWRX
Yeah I did, I can only see where I knicked it right on the edge of the muffler, everywere else is fine. The reason the exhuast sits so low is cause (this is my 2 cents) the subaru performance shop I go to they are not exhuaste people, they just get the kit and bolt it in. They do very little welding. Yes all my hangers are there. Yeah I havent adjusted my suspesnion yet but im going to. Yeah I have a appt for tuesday to get my exhuast fixed at a exhuat shop but I think im going to get my car checked out first monday. And if it is the exhuast and I have to buy a new one, Im not going to I can finally sell my car and go EURO!
If you went to FLI I'm sure they would take a look at your car with no charge considering you just gave them a lot of money. Those guys are great!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM

I had a custom exhaust made, and the guy that did it used custom hangers and brackets to secure it. If the shop you went to won't fix it, I suggest taking it to a reputable muffler shop and have them just install a different bracket that kind of "tucks" your exhaust closer to body of the car.
________
R3

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 07:25 AM.