Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Make a WRX faster than an STi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally Posted by 03WRX!!!
Hi i am looking at either buying an 04 or 05 WRX or buy an 04 Sti. I have driven the WRX and i am going to test the Sti this weekend but i was wondering how i could make the WRX faster thant the Sti for lees than the price of buying the STi. What mods would you guys go with? this is going to be my daily driver so is there anything else i should do if i get the WRX? what would you guys do in my situation? Thanks!!!

You can make it faster pretty easy. Still won't be as good.

04' wrx = 22000(roughly)
TBE + uppipe = 1000(roughly, could be more)
Engine management = 500 to 1000 (depending on what you want)
Aftermarket turbo = 500-1000 (rougly, i've seen used VF34's for $475)
Injectors(sti pinks) = 400
bigger feul pump = 100

Good tuning will be the key. Cobb off the shelf is good but utec will get more power if tuned properly. I'd say for 26000 you could be faster in a straight line than an STi. You still won't handle as wel and you won't stop as well, and you won't be as strong(STi 6 speed is a really good tranny, 5mt is not as good). This has been hashed over here many times and there is no way to get a WRX to equal the value and performance of an STi. If you can afford the STi you should go with that. I could not afford the STi off the bat. So i am going with the slower approach. By the time i'm done with my wrx it will be better than an STi but i'll probably have 40000 plus into the car(including price). I would look for a used 04' Sti. You could maybe get one for about 27000. I have seen tham on sale here for about that. Some even had some mods and a stereo. Good luck either car will make you happy, it just depends on what you want.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I would just JDM STi motor and install it into the WRX. V7 or V8. Spec C or regular.

Stock STi puts out about 220-230hp on Dynamic Dyno.
WRX w/ JDM STi EJ20 puts out about 250-260 on dunamic dyno w/ turbo back exhaust.

Plus JDM STi motor is far more stronger than EJ25 STi, revs higher, has more aggressive cams and better fuel economy.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:35 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
I actually prefer a modded WRX over an STi, simply because you are making power out of a 2.0 vs a 2.5 and in my personal opinion it looks better
Old 07-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
JDM STi heads are somewhat different from the USD heads.

First of all, they are AVCS. It means they have a whole bunch of stuff on them that non-AVCS heads dont have.

The valves are bigger. Both intake and exhaust. The intake valves are hollow and exhaust valves are hollow and sodium filled. Very nice.

The ports are much larger on JDM AVCS heads.

JDM AVCS heads will allow you to rev higher due to shim-under-bucket design.

---

I have seen heads sold for $1100-$1400 for the JDM AVCS ones. I actually have a set for sale too. You can easily convert your WRX to have JDM AVCS heads and get AVCS to work IF you get JDM ECU.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:53 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by 03WRX!!!
If i get the vishnu stage 1 what else would i need to put on the car? But as a daily dirve goes what should i do? i am going to be driving it a lot because i am in school. so which one would you rather have... a modded wrx satge 1 vishnu or a sti with turbo exhaust?
In order to get the same power level of the STi (nevermind the torque, because you won't match that) in it's stock form, you would have to run a very agressive Vishnu Stage 1. Stage 2 would get you more power, but an STi with a turboback exhaust and engine management would be at that same level (with gobs & gobs more torque).

What you really need to look at are ALL of the differences between the STi and WRX, not just power. Personally, I think the 6MT alone is worth the price difference. But you also have a bigger displacement motor (more potential down the road), limited slip, DCCD, Brembo brakes, suspension, tires & wheels, etc.

If you can afford either car (and can live with the goofy wing), I would recommend the STi. It is a great value when you consider what you would have to spend on a WRX to get similar performance (not just power). But if you can only afford, or only want to spend the $ on a WRX, then you can get similar performance. It will cost you more, but you can do it as $ allows.

Example (assuming buying comparable STi parts, and ignoring exterior/interior items):
WRX stock: $23,000
Tires: $700
Wheels: $1,600
Stoptech or similar Big Brake Kit: $1,700
Suspension upgrades to match: $1,000
Uppipe: $250
Turboback Exhaust (Vishnu): $1,300
Engine Management: $750
6MT w/ DCCD and R180: $6,500

=$36,800

If you can install the parts yourself, you're money ahead, otherwise add another $3,000 or so.

So now you have a bada$$ WRX comparable to the STi for only $40K. Except that it isn't an STi and it will no longer be covered under warranty due to all of the modifications. On the bright side, your insurance will be cheaper, so long as you don't tell them about all of the modifications.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:57 AM

Of course my argument above is based on a dollar analysis only. There are other reasons to go one way or the other and you should take everything into account before making a purchase of this magnitude. As someone who owned a highly modified WRX wagon, and now owns an STi, I hope my experiences can help.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:00 AM

FYI: I merged this with the other thread you started that had the same question.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:43 AM

Egan: Which do you prefer? The wagon you had or the STi you now own?
Old 07-16-2004, 07:50 AM

I still have much love for the wagon (and very little love for the 5MT ).

Even though the wagon was running about 340-350 crank hp, I prefer the STi. The torque is amazing and a few bolt-on components and engine management will get me back up to the wagon's hp numbers. I aboslutely love the 6MT, especially the gear ratios. It shifts like butter and I don';t have the feeling of being in between gears like I did with the wagon. My wagon was runnig 18psi of boost, but due to the torque of the STi I feel the surge more even with only 14.5 psi. Partial throttle repsonse in the STi is great even in stock form.

I do miss the coilovers from my WRX though. Way too much body roll on the track, but with the stock setup my wagon was worse (I just don't rememebr it as much ).
Old 07-16-2004, 11:36 AM

Nice.. Ive been so tempted to go STi... but Ive already put some good work into WRX I hate to leave it. 6mt is calling my name!
Old 07-16-2004, 02:38 PM

I put a lot fo work into my WRX too, but after my tranny failed, I realized only the 6MT would be good as a long term solution. For me, it worked out that I could sell all of my aftermarket parts, trade-in the wagon, and get the STi for less $ than the 6MT would have cost to put in the wagon. That cost analysis is what made the decision for me.

Quick Reply: Make a WRX faster than an STi?