Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

K&N cone filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
K&N cone filter?

Last year I removed the intake silencer because I wanted to hear the turbo more. Well it sounds ok but I want a little more sound. I have read about how intakes mess with our cars so I was thinking of just replacing the stock box with just a K&N cone filter. Do you think this would be ok? I know most of you are going to say to just get an up and down pipe. I already have an upipe that is waiting to go in. I just want more sound for cheap right now. Thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 08:37 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by jdmpwrdr
Last year I removed the intake silencer because I wanted to hear the turbo more. Well it sounds ok but I want a little more sound. I have read about how intakes mess with our cars so I was thinking of just replacing the stock box with just a K&N cone filter. Do you think this would be ok? I know most of you are going to say to just get an up and down pipe. I already have an upipe that is waiting to go in. I just want more sound for cheap right now. Thanks
For good sound and i mean great turbo whistle get the downpipe and exhaust. I took the intake silencer off a friends and while the whoosh is cool its not the same as that turbo whistle. If you want the whoosh then go ahead with intake, if you want to hear the whistle save up for exhaust.

Honestly whatever you do get some ecu tuning done Adding parts gains you a lil power but there is much untapped potential by tweaking the stock ecu's maps. This also has the effect of amplifying the power gains of new and improved parts, like up and down pipes for example.

And as far as a tuning company to go from choose one that suits you, ecutek, cobb accessport are two popular ones i know of off hand.

just my .02 on sound
Hope that helps.