Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

JDM V7 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 01:48 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
i label every 2 inches, that way is it gets damaged somewhere inbetween, then you have no problem figuring out where the problem is.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:50 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
Originally posted by Silver WRX420
ok...so i took my car to the dealer...motor and ecu is in, i took over pretty much all the information i could to them and they called me today saying that they couldnt figure it out...i have talked toa couple people...i am using the stock USMD harness w/ JDM motor and JDM ECU...is there a different pin connector altogether or can i still use the same harness and just splice the wires in to the existing connector? anyone who can help me on this asap the help is appreciated...i have to go to the dealer tomorrow at 8am to give them whatever more info i can find
Send International B a pm, from what I've been reading here it seems that he knows what you need.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:45 PM

Doing a swap is 99% plug and play. The only wiring that needs to be done is for the AVCS.

I did my swap completely on my own (with the labor of some friends) and it went pretty smoothly.

Theres only 8 wires that operate the AVCS system. Positive/negatives to the 2 solenoids, and +/- to both cam sensors.

Things will go easier if you have an STi car harness with the plug that carries the AVSC wiring.

The motor will run without the AVCS, so if you cant get that functional at first, dont worry about it.

If you just plug everything in, the US chassis harness, the STi engine harness and the STi ECU, it will run fine.

def
Old 11-06-2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh
Doing a swap is 99% plug and play. The only wiring that needs to be done is for the AVCS.

I did my swap completely on my own (with the labor of some friends) and it went pretty smoothly.

Theres only 8 wires that operate the AVCS system. Positive/negatives to the 2 solenoids, and +/- to both cam sensors.

Things will go easier if you have an STi car harness with the plug that carries the AVSC wiring.

The motor will run without the AVCS, so if you cant get that functional at first, dont worry about it.

If you just plug everything in, the US chassis harness, the STi engine harness and the STi ECU, it will run fine.

def
would that be the harness thats connected to the intake manifold? Also do you have pics of your install or of your car period. How long did it take to drop the motor and are you using the usdm tranny or the jdm piece?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:06 PM

the engine harness is what connects to the intake manifold.

the plug that I am talking about that would help with the install is on the car chassis harness which connects to the ECU.

This will help:
http://www.wrxworld.com/wrmain.htm

It took me about 4-5 days to get everthing together. I am running a 5 spd box with STi RA gears.

My motor consists of:

Version 7 STi shortblock
Version 7 STi heads
Version 8 Spec C valvetrain/cams
Version 8 Spec C intake manifold
Version 8 Spec C twinscroll exhaust manifold/uppipe/turbo (VF36)

I made 320 whp @ 7000k, and at the rpm I was only pushing 15-16 psi. Max boost hit @ 3500 rpms (with an exhaust leak) with 17.5-18.0 psi.

Heres some pics I have up:

Tranny Install (chassis car harness hanging in background)
http://www.hpmoto.com/tranny%20in.JPG

Me extracting the ECU plug from the chassis car harness:
http://www.hpmoto.com/EntiresSTIcarharness.JPG

What my car looks like (before swap/frontmount):
http://members.nasioc.com/UserPics/3676/DCP_0609.jpg

def

Last edited by dug-e-fresh; 11-06-2003 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:09 PM

what kind of engine management are you using, just the STi ECU or augmented by something else?

def
Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 PM

you can add the pins to that plug that you need and run them out to the engine bay and wire them directly to their sensor/solenoid.

def
Old 11-06-2003, 09:11 PM

Basically youll need to run 8 wires off the B84 ECU plug to the engine bay. It really isn't too bad to do yourself, as long as you make good connections.

Pins youll need to insert in the B84 plug (the smallest one on the ECU)

2[W] AVCS R+ Sensor
3[G] AVCS R- Sensor
6[RB] AVCS R+ Solenoid
9[R] AVCS L+ Sensor
12[GW] AVCS R- Solenoid
14[SB] AVCS Shield
15[B] AVCS L- Sensor
16[GB] AVCS L- Solenoid
17[RW] AVCS L+ Solenoid

The "AVCS Shield" is basically a ground.

def

Last edited by dug-e-fresh; 11-06-2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh
the engine harness is what connects to the intake manifold.

the plug that I am talking about that would help with the install is on the car chassis harness which connects to the ECU.

This will help:
http://www.wrxworld.com/wrmain.htm

It took me about 4-5 days to get everthing together. I am running a 5 spd box with STi RA gears.

My motor consists of:

Version 7 STi shortblock
Version 7 STi heads
Version 8 Spec C valvetrain/cams
Version 8 Spec C intake manifold
Version 8 Spec C twinscroll exhaust manifold/uppipe/turbo (VF36)

I made 320 whp @ 7000k, and at the rpm I was only pushing 15-16 psi. Max boost hit @ 3500 rpms (with an exhaust leak) with 17.5-18.0 psi.

Heres some pics I have up:

Tranny Install (chassis car harness hanging in background)
http://www.hpmoto.com/tranny%20in.JPG

Me extracting the ECU plug from the chassis car harness:
http://www.hpmoto.com/EntiresSTIcarharness.JPG

What my car looks like (before swap/frontmount):
http://members.nasioc.com/UserPics/3676/DCP_0609.jpg

def
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:27 AM

the only ecu connections will be those that run to the solenoids and the sensors. Those 8, and nothing else. The ECU gets feedback from other sensors and based on that makes changes to the duty cycle of the solenoids to acheive the desired cam advance... the sensors monitor this as well as provide feedback.

the sensors I beleive are located on the back of the heads on the intake cam only (ie- top cam).

take a look and let me know if you find them.

def
Old 01-01-2004, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon black
Originally posted by Silver WRX420
i am still running stock tranny with the exception of an exedy clutch and flywheel...im keeping that in until it blows..once project at a time...this one was expensive enough...im going to go to the dealer tomorrow and let them know what they have to do...so out of the 8 wires that are getting hooked up i just want to make sure i know where they are all going one to each positive and negative to each solenoid and the positive and negative to each cam sensor...now where are the cam sensors...i know where the solenoid is...i still have the washer fluid bottle out for easier access...now after the pins are added to that connector do i have to run anything back to the ecu?
is your car running now.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
Originally posted by raazin
is your car running now.
How about yours mate?

Mike

Quick Reply: JDM V7 Swap