Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

im new need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by skeeler
i am probably going to get the helix catless UP and the DP with the cat. then to finish it off i might have to get the borla hush catback the only thing i am worrying about is fitment issues. will mixing and matching cause fitment problems? i am probably going to install at work with a tech but if there is fitent issues i will probably go to a shop to get it done what do you guys think? also should i get the y-pipe i read about that and i know its for the intercooler but what does it do?
The UP can be a PITA to install, I wouldnt say difficult but it does involve a lot of work... as far as mixing and matching, you will be fine as the HELIX dp is designed to line up to the stock cat-back... And the Borla is designed to line up to the stock DP... HOWEVER, the Borla Hush tapers down to a 2.5 inch so it wont go directly to the HELIX, so you will need to purchase a 3 inch flange adaptor, which most vendors sell along with the Borla Hush kit... if they dont mention it, ask about it, b/c that does not come with the kit...

The Y-Pipe is what I was referring to in the first post... Included in the Perrin intercooler hoses is a Silicon Y-pipe which is the one that makes the biggest difference... So yeah, good mod, if you reread my first post, there are great recommendations there...

Any questions, PM or post...

Vimik
Old 07-09-2005, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
y-pipe

does the y-pipe add any hp or torque? or does it just help
Old 07-09-2005, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by skeeler
does the y-pipe add any hp or torque? or does it just help
If you look at the stock design, its cheap plastic, and it has lots of areas of retriction... in the future it can crack, or have issues, while creating LOTS of turbulence as it is... It gets the job done, yeah... but a Silicon piece flows a lot smoother

HP/TQ will be increased but not by an amount of "holy sheet, my heart is pressed against my spine"... As youre going from a restrictive unit that is due to crack to a faster flowing unit that will last as long as you own the car

The most common improvement is that you will hear your turbo spool SLIGHTLY louder, and you will be spooling about 500 rpm earlier, which is of course a great thing... who wants to wait for boost? esp if youre addicted to it?

Its no major mod, but if you do plan on adding exhaust etc, ecu tune, etc, this is a WONDERFUL place to start, as youre basically adding more efficiency to your machine and having the piece of mind that you wont ever have to worry about your Y-pipe ever again... Definitely recommended as a first mod in my mind... I try to look at modding from a different perspective... First look through your ride and see if there are parts that could have been built BETTER if the factory wasnt looking to cut costs? Start with those, create a solid/reliable platform before modding, or in the future you might find yourself adding stuff, and having to replace other parts that ended up malfunctioning due to the stress you induced on the engine with your new parts... Get this done... you wont regret it.
:-D

Vimik

Last edited by Boost Addict; 07-09-2005 at 08:43 PM.