Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

i need exhaust help: borla & tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:23 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Exclamation i need exhaust help: borla & tanabe

i was originally gonna get a blitz nur spec catback but then i decided it was way too loud for me and i didn't really wanna be dealing with cops pulling me over all the time.

so i've been researching alot lately about exhausts and i've come across a few that seem pretty cool. my friend has a borla hush and i like the deep tones it puts out but it's still too quiet. i want something loud enough to turn a few heads but not draw the attention to myself that the nur spec would.

i was thinking about the following exhausts: borla x1 single-tip, tanabe hyper medallion, bosal twin-tip, and the prodrive axelback. i know many people have all of these exhausts so i would really appreciate some advice and opinions.

thanks guys
Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
from what ive heared the bosal is one of the louder exhausts even though its a twin tip...the hks carbon ti isnt that loud but sounds very deep and low and looks very nice. i have the greddy evo2 and love it. once its broken in its not too quiet, sounds great and will def. turn a few heads.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Are you planning on running just a catback exhaust ?

Or are you gonna do a full up/down and catback exhaust ?

The thing about the hush, is that the flange that meets up with the downpipe/midpipe is a 2.5 that goes to 3". This can be easily repaired with a flange and a little bit of 3 inch piping.

My setup is:
- Gruppe-S Ceramic coated headers
- STi JDM Catless Up-Pipe
- Helix Catted Downpipe
- Borla Hush Catback exhaust (With 3 inch adapter plate and the 1 resonator removed)

And it turns heads, and gets looks, just not from cops. It definatly has some rumble to it. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them about the borla.

Austin
Old 08-04-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo86
i was thinking about the following exhausts: borla x1 single-tip, tanabe hyper medallion, bosal twin-tip, and the prodrive axelback. i know many people have all of these exhausts so i would really appreciate some advice and opinions.

thanks guys

prodrive is quiet.

Try an Apexi GT spec or an HKS Hi power
Old 08-04-2005, 10:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
If you are worried about cops....the great thing about the Borla Hush is the stock look (02-03 WRX)

Got pulled over the other day for excessive speed.....

The cop didn't say anything, considering I've got a wagon and the exhaust looks OEM (to those who don't know) and like the other Hush owner said...it can be made louder. As much as I would love a HKS hiper.....not going to draw the attention....not yet anyways. Maybe once I have my Florida plates.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:08 PM

keep in mind that i live in california and our cars have to pass smog.

if i remove the cats to make the borla hush louder won't that keep me from passing smog? with the hush is it any louder or does it just bring out the rumble of the boxer engine?

thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 11:21 PM
VIP Member

Talking

I also live in california, actually we almost live in the same city. If you have ever been to Alberto's Cantina on Main Street, that is my pop's resturaunt.

But all the same, I know about california emissions, it boils down to:

-Up-pipe is OK to remove because it is a "pre-cat" that works as a catyletic while the others are heating up

Downpipe and midpipe (2 different catyletic convertors) Can be easily removed and re-installed to pass smog.

If you are environmentally aware, you can have both performance and environmental friendly-ness with a catted downpipe, such as a helix and ASP and they say that they can pass smog.

Cheers,
Austin
Old 08-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Talking

hahaha, i have been to ablerto's, it's one of my favorite restaraunts!

will the up-pipe and down-pipe make the borla hush louder? how much so?

Last edited by Turbo86; 08-05-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:43 PM
VIP Member

up-pipe and down pipe make the hush collectively not that much louder but it brings out that boxer rumble and you can feel the rumble in your chest, in comparison to others it is still 'quieter' but when you blow someone's doors off it sounds loud !

Austin
Old 08-07-2005, 06:46 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
If you're still considering the Tananbe exhaust, but want a quiet one, I'd take it off your list. My friend has got it mated to an Invidia dp and it's really loud, IMO.

Austin, does your dad own the Alberto's that just opened in Blackhawk Plaza, also?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM

"- Borla Hush Catback exhaust (With 3 inch adapter plate and the 1 resonator removed)"

Austin what resonator did you remove from the Borla Hush and how did u do it? Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 11:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
Austin, does your dad own the Alberto's that just opened in Blackhawk Plaza, also?
Yeah he sure does, I was working there for about a year and a half, I am suprised no one recognized the car out front

Lizard king: There is a resonator in the middle pipe before the muffler on the "Hush", if you take your car to an exhaust shop, or if you are brave enough, get a skill saw, cut the resonator out and weld in a straight pipe, the exhaust shops will do it for about 35 bucks.

Cheers,
Austin
Old 08-12-2005, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
If you want to try something different you can always look at Stromung exhaust, they have 2 single tip and a dual tip design. If you wanted to get a full exhaust you can install the up-pipe and down-pipe, and when the time comes to smog just swap the down-pipe for stock but leave the up-pipe, Most wont even see it in there.