Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

I just blew my turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Unhappy I just blew my turbo!

Hello everyone,
Tonight was a rough night for me. I left school tonight and started hearing a weird rattling sound coming from my engine bay everytime I tried to boost. It sounded like maybe a bolt fell off on my exhaust somewhere and was leaking. I pulled into my parking garage and left my car running and heard the sound coming from the turbo area. I checked all the bolts from the DP to the turbo and everything was on there. I then drove it around and noticed that the rattling was strong when I would start to spool up. If I cruised it faintly noticable over my Helix turboback. I also noticed the lack of power spooling up.....so I'm guessing that my turbo is blown. I have only about 57,000 miles on it. I'm wondering why it went so quickly?

I noticed that my car would burn off oil very quickly and would have to add about a qt a month. Why was my car burning this much oil when there were no signs of oil leaks at the drain plug or anywhere else in the engine??

This couldn't have come at a worse time. I'm about to move out and find a new place and money is tight nowadays.

I have a few questions that you guys might be able to answer for me to help me through my dilemma.

1.Is it okay to drive my car with a blown turbo like that? I'm wondering if something will get sucked back into my engine, messing it up more.

2. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement turbo for cheap?

3. Is it pretty hard to replace a blown turbo?

Thank you guys for your help. Hopefully I have a better day tomorrow.

-Dan
Old 08-03-2007, 12:26 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
There are cheap stock turbos floating around here. Just look in the classifieds they usually got for about a $100.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
It might be the downpipe loose. I had a similar problem, it would rattle when start of boost but if you keep it at a constant speed or drive on the freeway you won't hear it. Check the downpipe, pretty sure that's your problem. Take off the heatshield and just retorque, worth a try before you actually buy a new turbo. I also have a helix downpipe.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Car Info: 04 WRB WRX
i have a stocker if you need one
Old 08-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB 4EAT VF34 Kit w/AP
Go to subaru. Your turbo is still under warranty. When my turbo went out I went to the dealer and the first thing he asked was how many miles I had. I was at about 98k and he said thats to bad because the turbo is a goverment something emissions something (cant remember all the big words he used) but anyway, they have a 80k warranty. This is per the service manager Marc at Subaru of Santa Cruz.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:12 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I got my turbo replaced under warranty at subaru of santa cruz. You're still under warranty.

It is not uncommon to have one go around 60-70,000.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Troll

Car Info: EVO 8 RS
Originally Posted by Indirecked
Hello everyone,
Tonight was a rough night for me. I left school tonight and started hearing a weird rattling sound coming from my engine bay everytime I tried to boost. It sounded like maybe a bolt fell off on my exhaust somewhere and was leaking. I pulled into my parking garage and left my car running and heard the sound coming from the turbo area. I checked all the bolts from the DP to the turbo and everything was on there. I then drove it around and noticed that the rattling was strong when I would start to spool up. If I cruised it faintly noticable over my Helix turboback. I also noticed the lack of power spooling up.....so I'm guessing that my turbo is blown. I have only about 57,000 miles on it. I'm wondering why it went so quickly?

I noticed that my car would burn off oil very quickly and would have to add about a qt a month. Why was my car burning this much oil when there were no signs of oil leaks at the drain plug or anywhere else in the engine??

This couldn't have come at a worse time. I'm about to move out and find a new place and money is tight nowadays.

I have a few questions that you guys might be able to answer for me to help me through my dilemma.

1.Is it okay to drive my car with a blown turbo like that? I'm wondering if something will get sucked back into my engine, messing it up more.

2. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement turbo for cheap?

3. Is it pretty hard to replace a blown turbo?

Thank you guys for your help. Hopefully I have a better day tomorrow.

-Dan
Turbos don't rattle! Heatshields rattle, loose exhaust parts rattle....

How much boost are you making (if you know?).

Turbo cars go through oil faster than non turbo oils. Oil tends to blow out the seals a little bit at a time on a turbo (blow by).

take off your air inlet/air intake CAREFULLY so you don't rip it so you can see the compressor wheel on the turbo inlet. Grab the shaft nut in the center of the wheel and see if you can move the turbo shaft up and down or in and out at all. Small amounts of play are normal. big amounts are bad.

I doubt that your turbo is blown-blown turbos make a mettalic grinding (not whining) noise that is loud. They don't rattle......AFAIK
Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 AM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza WRX
Did you ever find out if the turbo was really blown because i think i have the same problems too.
and does anyone know if it is okay to drive it without the turbo?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Luckily for me it wasn't blown. A sensor had popped out and it sounded really nasty and wasn't feeling any boost. I tend to think that the worst is happening, but turns out it just popped out. I don't know how bad it is to run without a turbo, but it can't be good especially if you cars computer is looking for that extra turbo induction. It will probably run really retarded. Let me know how it goes! Good luck!

-Dan
Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza WRX
reply to dan

so what exactly popped out that you were referring to?