Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Huh? What? Exhaust Leads to Hearing Loss...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Huh? What? Exhaust Leads to Hearing Loss...?

Okay, when i turned 16 i purchased my very first car, a 1994 two door honda accord. I ended up putting the most reeeeeediculous exhaust on there and drove it for 2 years with constant drone and noise. Now... I can't seem to hear very well. I think my hearing is shot. Do you guys think that an exhaust could have such a long term drastic effect on your hearing. I wanna buy an exhaust for my 03, but don't want anything to loud. Was looking at Helix Up and DP + catback...all helix. Anyone know how it sounds??? Speak up....
Old 02-20-2004, 12:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
I don't see why constant loud droning wouldn't damage your hearing. There are a lot of exhausts for the WRX that have resonators and decently quiet mufflers. My Vishnu turboback is pretty quiet inside the car...my wife doesn't mind it at all.

No idea about the Helix. Many local guys have it I know...you should head over the hill to the Union City meet on Tuesdays and have your way with exhaust demos!
Old 02-20-2004, 12:28 AM

Re: Huh? What? Exhaust Leads to Hearing Loss...?

Originally posted by Indirecked
Okay, when i turned 16 i purchased my very first car, a 1994 two door honda accord. I ended up putting the most reeeeeediculous exhaust on there and drove it for 2 years with constant drone and noise. Now... I can't seem to hear very well. I think my hearing is shot. Do you guys think that an exhaust could have such a long term drastic effect on your hearing. I wanna buy an exhaust for my 03, but don't want anything to loud. Was looking at Helix Up and DP + catback...all helix. Anyone know how it sounds??? Speak up....

Go to the doctor's to check if you have earwax buildup first (seriously). If they can still see your eardrum, then yes you have damaged your hearing. Last time I had difficulty hearing in one of my ears, it turned out just to be earwax Doctor flushed it out and I could hear normally again. In fact, all the sounds I was use to hearing actually hurt my ears (example, those power flush toilets)
Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 AM

And also, yes anything that's loud (but doesn't seem loud to you) will damage your hearing over time. So try and turn down the volume when you hear music or watch tv as well to protect your hearing from getting worse.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:14 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Well if you had a honda for 2 years, you'll most likely loose your hearing from those loud and high pictched engines, plus the fart can exhaust. j/k
Check the video.

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/index.php...=9686&hl=civic

Seriously though, you should go to the doctor and have your ears checked, I'm guessing ear wax build up. Had the same problem, thought I was getting old at 23 coz my hearing was poor. Went to the doctor and had my ear flushed. I was a very happy camper after that.

Last edited by GottaREX; 02-21-2004 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 2003 Black WRX
Originally posted by mexicanpizza
I don't see why constant loud droning wouldn't damage your hearing.
Actually, a constant droning noise is the most damaging to your hearing (wihtin reason).
Old 02-21-2004, 07:14 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Re: Re: Huh? What? Exhaust Leads to Hearing Loss...?

Originally posted by TurnWRX
Go to the doctor's to check if you have earwax buildup first (seriously). If they can still see your eardrum, then yes you have damaged your hearing. Last time I had difficulty hearing in one of my ears, it turned out just to be earwax Doctor flushed it out and I could hear normally again. In fact, all the sounds I was use to hearing actually hurt my ears (example, those power flush toilets)
Haha. Maybe the Q-tips ain't reaching the gold that lies within. I'm seriously going to have my ears check. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by GottaREX

Seriously though, you should go to the doctor and have your ears checked, I'm guessing ear wax build up. Had the same problem, thought I was getting old at 23 coz my hearing was poor. Went to the doctor and had my ear flushed. I was a very happy camper after that.

lol how much ear wax did you end up flushing out? Mine was the size of a large marble :banana: