Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

How many of you still run MBC's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally Posted by vaus
Better boost response and quicker spool than with an MBC... AND less of a lean condition at part throttle? I'm gonna have to ask for logs showing this... as its pretty much BS. In the best case, you came very close to the boost reponse of a good ball and spring MBC, but there's simply no way you can achieve faster spool... its the nature of the valve. And if you did come very close to the boost and throttle response with the EBC, then PTFB is just as much of an issue as it is with an MBC. You see, your statements are contradictory...

Also, I'm not sure what boost creep issue you experienced with your MBC... could you fill me in, b/c I don't think I've experienced it?

-- Ed
Here's the answer to all your questions and why those items are not necessarily contradictory:

BOOST GAIN. You have no control over gain with an MBC+OLM. I do with an EBC. With gain control you can cause faster boost response while keeping set% a bit lower to hold off spiking. And because of the better ability of a dual solenoid to control boost levels and avoid creep it helps with PTFB.

If Twinkies can have cream filling inside of a pastry, then why can't GMC make an AWD truck!? Can we adress this question instead now? please?

jason
Old 10-20-2004, 09:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by mmboost
Here's the answer to all your questions and why those items are not necessarily contradictory:

BOOST GAIN. You have no control over gain with an MBC+OLM. I do with an EBC. With gain control you can cause faster boost response while keeping set% a bit lower to hold off spiking. And because of the better ability of a dual solenoid to control boost levels and avoid creep it helps with PTFB.

jason
Boost gain will allow you to bring boost up slower or faster. So your statements are indeed contradictory. If you increase gain to speed up spool to match that of an MBC, you will also increase boost at lower throttle positions, increasing the severity of the PTFB situation. So if you run high enough boost gain, you need an OLM... end of story. Sure, you can drive around part throttle high boost situations... many people with MBC's do it, but you can't argue that with an EBC, you bypass it completely... if you keep arguing it, I'd like to see logs of your boost at part throttle in higher load situations.

-- Ed
Old 10-20-2004, 10:28 PM
VIP Member

When doing a quick ramp up of boost (i.e. stomping on the throttle) you cross quickly into OLF mode, so in that situation there is no PTFB problem and the OLM doesn't do much, but this is when gain is really working its magic. PTFB, however, is a problem in smaller increases in boost over a longer period of time or when attemping to hold boost in RPM ranges, particilarly those with greater load potential (like in the 4000-5000RPM range). Gain doesn't have much effect in those two, similar circumstances. So the (group) sets of situations where gain works hard and PTFB rears its ugly head don't really intersect. Try again.

Heh, maybe if you ramped the gain ALL the way up to 100 (i.e. top of the range of 0-100) it might be uncontrollably jumpy causing the situation that you so much want to use to prove your point. But, then I'd never do that. I've gotten excellent spool up and not creep or minimal spike in the 10-15 gain setting range. (vf34 with tmic)

jason
Old 10-20-2004, 11:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Ah... there's another reason you don't experience PTFB nearly as much.. you have a bigger turbo. With the stock turbo, its really easy to make a lot of boost at lower throttle positions and thus ptfb is much more of an issue. I'm still willing to bet that you would get significantly faster spool with a good MBC than an EBC set to a gain of 10-15. Also, unless the EBC is taking TPS into consideration, you will still exhibit PTFB situations... maybe not as much as with an MBC, depending on gain, and maybe not as much with a bigger turbo, but the problem is still present, and warrants a fix. Of course with a larger turbo, I'm assuming one would be running engine management beyond the stock ECU anyway, so that doesn't really apply to the OLM anyway.

-- Ed
Old 10-22-2004, 08:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
wow, lots of isht going on in here!

i will weigh in with my own experiences:

a) if you think that ANY EBC (regardless of price) has quicker response with less overshoot than a QUALITY MBC, you're on crack. at the very least i will say that you simply have not experienced what a quality MBC runs like. it is the very nature of the feedback-based control circuitry of an EBC to either get more stability (more precisely, lower Q), or speed. you cannot get both when you're talking about feedback systems theory. do not bother arguing with this point; it is in every EBC manual i've ever read.

b) i have a cockpit adjustble hallman evo, and it works absolutely wonderfully. what i mean by that is that 1) i don't adjust it more than i need to--essentially only when i want to run different boost, and 2) it holds consistent boost levels within a half a pound per square inch. if you have an MBC that cannot achieve this kind of performance than you need to either look at your choice in MBC, or look at your pneumatic circuit itself. you want low volume, high flow, low latency in your hose hookups... ALWAYS.

c) i do not like PTFB for drivability reasons. i have engineered around this by implimenting a GM solenoid along with my utec. the utec runs open loop boost and ramps duty cycle from 0 to 100% from 60 to 100% throttle position. the sole purpose of this boost map is to make the transition to full boost at WOT smoother. since it is such a linear, rudimentary map that varies solely according to TPS i will likely be replacing it with a simple DIY device that taps into TPS and outputs a variable duty-cycle solenoid driver directly. for more information see http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?p=7138642

hth
ken
Old 10-22-2004, 09:26 AM
VIP Member

Ah... there's another reason you don't experience PTFB nearly as much.. you have a bigger turbo. With the stock turbo, its really easy to make a lot of boost at lower throttle positions and thus ptfb is much more of an issue. I'm still willing to bet that you would get significantly faster spool with a good MBC than an EBC set to a gain of 10-15. Also, unless the EBC is taking TPS into consideration, you will still exhibit PTFB situations... maybe not as much as with an MBC, depending on gain, and maybe not as much with a bigger turbo, but the problem is still present, and warrants a fix. Of course with a larger turbo, I'm assuming one would be running engine management beyond the stock ECU anyway, so that doesn't really apply to the OLM anyway.

-- Ed
Vaus, nope. I ran the EBC without the UTEC before I got the VF34. All the non-UTEC experience I have relayed are with the stock TD04.

jason

Last edited by mmboost; 10-22-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ride5000
wow, lots of isht going on in here!

i will weigh in with my own experiences:
I dunno, Ken. I respect your opinions very much and won't take your rebuttles lightly. But... I know what I've experienced. To Vaus' credit, the only thing I can chaulk this discrepency up to is just not having been good at tuning my MBC. (Well, that's really not to Vaus' credit, but my discredit, heh). I dunno though... I spent a couple of months playing with both of MBCs and PTFB was the last of my worries. I was mostly concentrating on achieving a state where I didn't get spikes or creeps or overboosts, and this always forced me to compromise on the low end. I realize you must always compromise in some way... "you cannot have both" as you say. But my EBC seemed as punchy down low and much, much more consistent uptop and less spikey. Yes, this is an unreliable assdyno. But after a couple of months with MBCs, I had an almost instant appreciation for the EBC. As I have been saying in various ways throughout this thread, an EBC will have a quicker and more accurate response to feedback - an MBC is really fighting itself to control boost. Reading boost and controling boost with an EBC are separate and only effect one another as the electronic controller allows. It just makes more sense that electronic control will be more accurate and in the long version of all the problems that stand alone boost controllers cause, the EBC is the winner in combating them. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it

jason
Old 10-22-2004, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
that's cool jason. we can amicably agree to disagree, as it seems!

the only question i have (which you may have already answered in this thread) is what kind of MBC were you running?

i started off with a joe p. ante-ing up and buying the much more expensive hallman was a bit of a gamble, but once i had it in my hands i could tell right off it was a much higher quality valve.

a quick and dirty test of the ball/spring type valves can be accomplished by trying to blow through them. the best valves make a TIGHT pneumatic seal when closed. generally from what i've seen the larger ball types make a better seal than do the small ones. they also have a long spring to keep the linearity of spring tension as constant as possible. a fine threaded adjustment rod is easier to dial in.

i'm just giving my pov on the issue. maybe i'm in the minority, but i won't NOT run an MBC on my car--they're just too simple, too reliable, and too effective.

now play nice, you two.
ken
Old 10-22-2004, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

ken,

i had a vishnu (dawes) and then one of the earlier txs ones - got it used and dont recall the model.

jason
Old 10-22-2004, 07:23 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by mmboost
Vaus, nope. I ran the EBC without the UTEC before I got the VF34. All the non-UTEC experience I have relayed are with the stock TD04.

jason
Then I simply can't believe that you didn't experience PTFB lean conditions with the EBC. Maybe if you bring some specifics to the table... approx how much boost would your EBC hit if you went to ~50% TPS in fifth gear at 3500RPM or so?

Just because you werent worried about PTFB, doesn't mean it wasn't an issue and degrading your engine... or you may have just driven around it. Hell many people with MBC's just drive around it too.

-- Ed
Old 10-22-2004, 08:43 PM
VIP Member

Then I simply can't believe that you didn't experience PTFB lean conditions with the EBC.
Fortunately for me, I can live with that. (Even if, I believe, I never said just quite that.)

jason
Old 10-23-2004, 01:20 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Jason, you said that with the EBC, you reduced PTFB significantly and inferred that an OLM would not be necessary to run an EBC safely on the stock ECU. If you stand by this, we're in a direct dis-agreement, and I guess we'll just have to leave it at that... this discussion is long over due for an end.

-- Ed