Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

How many of you still run MBC's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 01:14 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
How many of you still run MBC's?

Hey guys,
I personally love my MBC and prefer it to pretty much any other form of boost control. Who's in the same boat? What are you guys doing about PTFB? Hint: I have a great solution

-- Ed
Old 10-12-2004, 03:23 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Will your device work on a EBC as well? EBC + ECUTEK that is.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

it'll work with an EBC no problem. I don't want to say that it works with an ecutek reflash because it really depends on the tune. In theory it should work just fine, but I won't give a guarantee unless I can monitor the car with the OLM installed.

-- Ed
Old 10-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Originally Posted by Silver arrow
I just switched from EMI and MBC to accessport and I miss the quicker boost of the MBC. Wish they had a stage 2 map for use with a MBC. Would be killer.
you can use an MBC with an OLM with a COBB ecu:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/introducing-ed-vaus-here-i-club-he-can-help-those-you-mbcs-75849/
Old 10-12-2004, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 98 L w/hybrid ej257 Linked
whats an OLM?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by 240sxer
whats an OLM?
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75849
Old 10-13-2004, 12:44 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Silver arrow
same thing as the Vishnu EMI
Silver,
The OLM is indeed similar to the Vishnu EMI in concept. Both units intercept the TPS signal to force the ECU into open loop under part throttle, high boost conditions.
I personally have never used an EMI adapter, but have heard that it can be jerky at lower rpm transitions.
The final version of the OLM uses a microcontroller which allowed me to smooth out the transition through the entire RPM range to make it virtually invisible to the driver. The microcontroller also allowed me to make the OLM's fairly cheaply, and as I remember, Vishnu's EMI was in the vicinity of $250.

-- Ed

Last edited by MethodBuilt; 10-13-2004 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
I started with a bleeder/constrictor. I thought it was a pain. Then I got an MBC. It was much nicer, but still a pain. Then I got an EBC and thought MBCs were the stupidest device evAr. Then I got a UTEC and refused to use the MBC and still use my EBC to control boost, as many do. When I get some other issues back in order I'm going to put a GM BCS in place of the EBC and let the UTEC control boost. I'll never go back to an MBC, ever.

jason
Old 10-13-2004, 12:08 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Jason,

which MBC were you using and what did you not like about it? Why was your EBC so much better? From past experience, a good ball and spring MBC spools the turbo quicker and is more consistant in condition changes than any EBC I've seen... especially the UTEC's boost control system. Just wondering what you don't like about them?

-- Ed
Old 10-13-2004, 03:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally Posted by vaus
Jason,

which MBC were you using and what did you not like about it? Why was your EBC so much better? From past experience, a good ball and spring MBC spools the turbo quicker and is more consistant in condition changes than any EBC I've seen... especially the UTEC's boost control system. Just wondering what you don't like about them?

-- Ed
MBC: having to stop the car, turn it off, get out of the car, pop the hood, adjust the MBC, pray that you get the boost response you want the first time, close the hood get in the car and test it out and pray some more only to have to adjust it again... what a pain in the ***. Boost spikes vary depending upon the quality of your MBC and then there's always PTFB. And then there's doing this when the weather changes, if you've tried to max its capabilities for yesterday's temp and humidity... cuz you'll be over boosting or underboosting the next day if you did.

EBC: a good, fast reacting, preferably dual solenoid, unit that accurately controls boost from within the cab that can be changed on the fly and has peak-hold capabilites (like my Blitz Spec-R) is like heaven on earth in comparison to an MBC.

An MBC that spools quickly will also spike. You can't adjust boost gain on an MBC. With proper tuning between gain and efficiency on an EBC you can always out do an MBC. If you've never seen an EBC that outpeforms an MBC in boost characteristics, you don't know how to work an EBC.

UTEC: You can look me straight in the eye and tell me this about a UTEC vs a stand alone MBC for boost control? I want some of what you're smoking! Honestly I don't think you realize how a UTEC controls boost. An MBC has one setting for all circumstances. If you put boost to come on to quickly down low you will spike up top. If you put it so that you don't spike up top you will be sluggish down low. Sometimes you can get a nice compromose but it will always be a compromise. You can never max out the potential all around with an MBC. With a UTEC on the other hand, I can discretely control boost with an 11x44 grain map (RPM vs TPS). No compromises. Since I can also control the fuel delivery I can easily compensate for PTFB. I can switch maps on the fly for any weather...

The pricetag might be 30 times greater... but then I can also control timing and fuel deliver and get more consistent, all around uncompromised power than you'd ever see with an MBC.

MBCs are toys for playing around a little with your boost.

jason
Old 10-13-2004, 04:40 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Jason,

It sounds to me like the main reason you dislike MBC's is because you can't adjust them from in the cabin. Although I never found this to be a big problem, there is a moddle of the hallman that can be adjusted from the cabin with great accuracy. As far as weather changes, I'm not sure what you're talking about. My MBC if very consistant from cold to hot, to humid, to dry, and doesn't evern vary significantly between gears. What you're describing are the characteristics of a bleeder type MBC, not ball and spring. Because its so consistant, I don't have the need to be changing it constantly, so I'm not really upset that I have to pop my hood to do it.

EBC's are cool, but only high end, expensive units that implement true closed loop control work well at all... the others vary widely with weather and load. As far as the UTEC, I know they claim a closed loop boost control system, but from past experience with it, its far from that. Tell me that your UTEC controlled boost doesn't vary up to 2psi depending on gear, not to mention weather, and I'll drop this point entirely.

To each his own, but IMO the mechanical simplicity of a ball and spring MBC is perfect for the otherwise complex job of boost control.

-- Ed

Quick Reply: How many of you still run MBC's?