Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

How difficult is up/down pipe install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Dowpipe is pretty darn easy, the uppipe on the other hand can be a pain in the butt, big pain.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:45 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
depends on your level of experience. I've wrenched on MR2s for years so the uppipe and downpipe were a piece of cake for me ..
Old 06-23-2004, 11:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Downpipe is way easy. The uppipe kicked my *** though. If I had to do again though, it would be a lot easier. It's just a matter of knowing what you're doing. I would highly suggest trying to find someone that has done an uppipe to help you.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:56 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
I did a full exhaust system with a buddy not to long ago. The biggest hassel i honestly had fell into two categories.

1) wrenching a bolt was in an akward posistion
2) up pipe was a major pain to squeeze out of its origional spot

Solved first problem with a breaker bar i own which allows a few more degrees of angle with the socket

Second problem was just a matter of turning it to the right a little getting the EGT off and pushing it out. I suppose i did it the hard way but i couldn't get it to drop down.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:45 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan - Silver
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
I suppose i did it the hard way but i couldn't get it to drop down.
Jack the motor up a few inches, and it'll come out like a champ.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:15 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
It took me 8 hours for the uppipe install, working by myself. It should have been less but everything that could have gone wrong, did.

I suggest you have a socket extension and a flex adapter it will make your life easier. I never would have finished without 'em. I followed these instructions, they are very thorough: http://www.vishnutuning.com/files/Up...stallation.doc
Old 06-24-2004, 07:35 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon
I agree with most posts here. Your experience is a big factor. I feel pretty strong about my skills to turn bolts and work on mechanicle things. I've put suspensions on Jeeps (keep in mind they are pretty simple) and have done a decent amount of matenience on those Jeeps (cause off-roading isn't good for wheel bearings). When it came to doing the Up and Downpipe install I didn't have a garage to work with. So I asked a friend who worked at a garage if he could help me. Well to say the least it took three hours from bringing the car in and driving the car out with an oil change. But that was with air tools and all the goodies you could imagine. I could imagine trying to do it in the parkinglot of my Apt. with floor jacks and my set of tools easily going beyond 5 hours just because the Up Pipe is a pain in the A**.

Find someone who has all the tools and buy him/her some beer.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by allxusedxup
also, can anyone tell me what kind of gas mileage to expect if i install the up/down pipes and cat back exhaust. Will it fluxuate greatly in either direction (better or worse gas mileage). thanks again.

Gas milage it seems has more to do with how heavy your foot is and what stage ECU program you are using then basic mods.

You drive normal and you wont notice a thing. Pedel to the metal and watch the gas get sucked dry.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
A shop here wanted $100 to do the install of a dp. I have the apartment problem too. I have all my own tools, jacks, stands, ramps, etc. but just don't have space.

I didn't ask about the up, but I suspect it's more.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by sykosis
A shop here wanted $100 to do the install of a dp. I have the apartment problem too. I have all my own tools, jacks, stands, ramps, etc. but just don't have space.

I didn't ask about the up, but I suspect it's more.

Honestly that sounds like a good deal.

However you can ask MPJ and other dealers for price quotes (call them if you like)