Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

How to? 300HP + QUIET exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 12:11 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
just dont floor it around law officers
Old 12-18-2003, 12:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
werd. I drive a TXS rfl setup around town all the time, and (knocks wood) I've never been pulled over. I just keep it under 3500 rpm unless I'm off in the middle of nowhere.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Even with a completely stock WRX exhaust system, a bigger turbo, STI injectors, fuel pump, and computer will make your car louder than stock (not really much you can do to go around that). But having a stock exhaust system on what I consider "power" upgrades will basically put those expensive "power" upgrades on "mute", in terms of getting all the power you can out of them. Why would you want to do that? A JDM STI exhaust would be as quiet as you can get it with those "power" mods (basically about the same power level as the STI). But keep in mind that you can extract even more power with those mods if you had a catless 3" exhaust system (at the expense of it being more noisy).

I have a Vishnu Stage 2 Kit on my 02 sedan with an STI exhaust (for the stealth/noise factor). It's definitely louder than stock (although not annoyingly so), but I was so surprised to hear how noisy it really was (standing outside of my car) when my car was on a dyno and a big plume of black smoke came out of my exhaust at the peak of the dyno test (everyone said it was normal).

YMMV.

tk
Old 12-18-2003, 03:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Actually most Fujitsubo's are pretty damn loud
The new trend in Japan now are touring style mufflers: they still maintain high flow like the N1 styles that have been popular these past few years but are considerably softer and meet JAMSA standards (98 db I believe). A few of these new models will sound familiar: Blitz Nur-Spec Touring, HKS Hi-Power Quiet, I think if I recall correctly Apex'i developed a quiet version of their GT-Spec, Kakimoto R, and Fujitsubo Legalis. The only disadvantage they have versus the popular N1 styles are that they are heavier.
BTW, when I say N1 style, I don't specifically mean the Apex'i N1 -- I mean the muffler style that is often found on the Japanese N1 Endurance Series cars (you know, long wide canister-style muffler and fairly short tip).
Old 12-19-2003, 12:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Helix exhaust system isn't that loud either
Old 12-19-2003, 02:28 PM

for what it's worth, the pde downpipe+blitz nur spec touring on my car has NEVER been intrusive. it sounds much deeper outside the car, but I can still hear my gear whine above the exhaust noise.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:15 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black WRX Wagon
What about the Prodrive? It's usually regarded as one of the quieter exhausts and it's pretty much a straight through design.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
I found this out firsthand when I went from a 427 cu. in engine in my Camaro to a 481 cu. in. engine using the same exhaust. Similar results when I put an upgraded ECU into my turbo GLHS Omni. Both louder at WOT.
Alan, you're full of surprises! I want to hear about that car next meet, because I've heard they were just ridiculously cool for an unreliable, not truly fast domestic. I've always thought of those as sort of like a US-derived companion for the 323 GTX.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:51 AM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Based off my experince i have a Turbo XS TBE, Helix uppipe, stock turbo. The axle back was a Magna Flow. I was doing some wide open throttle runs to break in my pads and rotors, to and my friends who were standing along the empty road watching me pass by they said all they could here was my engine. I was passing them doing about 100 mph in my old neighborhood where no one use to live but me. Oh i have the high flow cat too.
Hope this helps which choice you make. Good luck
Old 12-23-2003, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 1999 Supercharged Maxima
Thanks guys. Your posts have been very helpful.
They have a $750 rebate on the '04 WRX.
Very tempting....

I am leaning toward:
Blitz Nur-Spec Touring
or
STi

I wonder if I can buy TXS Stage 3, withOUT their exhaust...
Old 12-23-2003, 12:31 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
You can take any thing out you want w/ turbo XS or anyone i believe. You just pay for what ever you want.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sedan
300hp+ and quiet = EASY!

Catless Up-pipe, Catless Downpipe, Stock midpipe w/ resonator, Prodrive axel-back or similar 2.5" straight through design.

The car will be slightly louder, aside from the sound of the turbo spooling and some wastegate and bypass valve sounds, it'll be barely louder than stock. A good description is "Quiet at idle and when putting around town, but SCREAMS at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE"

To add to the 300hp+ mark, try a silicone y-pipe and ECU reflash. Correct tuning should yield about 227whp and LOADS of torque on demand.

Quick Reply: How to? 300HP + QUIET exhaust sound