Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

That high-pitched whine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 04:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Question That high-pitched whine...

Since the day I have owned my 02 WRX I have noticed a certain high-pitched whine that seems to come from the engine compartment. It always appears at 2700 RPM in 3rd gear (abou 35 MPH) and 3000-3200 RPM in 5th gear on the highway. The whine is quite steady; it is totally unrelated to intake "woosh" (as it happens when I am at negative boost, light throttle and under 3000 RPM) and it is also not tire noise.

It doesn't bother me; I just turn up the radio. However I'm curious if any of you also have this whine, and what might be causing it.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:30 AM
VIP Member

No, I drove it off the lot when it had 19 miles on it and noticed the sound right away. It is very quiet and very high-pitched, almost at the edge of being able to hear it. It sounds like it is coming from behind the dash near the firewall, and like I said is very steady. It seems to occur just under the boost threshold -- could it just be the turbo itself, spinning at neutral pressure?

Through process of elimination I have been able to determine that it isn't the AC, the fan, the tires or the transmission. Any other candidates?
Old 03-13-2004, 08:42 AM
DrD

Car Info: 2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
I get a whistle sort of sound (guess you could describe it as a whine) which comes and goes as the turbo spools up (correlates perfectly with the boost gauge) - I would guess it's just the turbo (I have done no mods to anything under the hood other than adding a Perrin silicone y-pipe for the intercooler) - it's done that since I drove it off the lot w/6 miles (though it did get a little more noticeable with the intercooler hoses)
Old 03-14-2004, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Slick50
Do you have the sti short shift?

I have found that if you have anything other than the rubber dampened stock shifter, you are going to transmit a lot more drivetrain noise into the cabin. For me when I replaced my shifter with a kartboy I picked up a high pitched whine as you describe. That along with other rattles associated with the shifter forced me back to the stock one.
The whine happens with the clutch in or out, so that eliminates the entire drivetrain as the source of the noise. Good guessing though, we are getting closer!
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 AM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
I have that same whine... i think its from the clutch or something... I honestly have no idea but I just turn up the radio and it seems to go away. Let me know if you ever figure it out.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
sounds like a turbo to me.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:15 PM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
Umm yeah..today i got some new tranny oil put in (mopar stuff that they had at the dealer, don't ever use Mobil1 synthetic in your tranny) and the noise went away...the only whine i can hear now is the turbo spooling. ..The turbo noise comes in at about 3000 rpm and in fifth gear it is easist to hear. SO its probably the turbo spooling up.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Originally posted by meilers
It is very quiet and very high-pitched, almost at the edge of being able to hear it.
how can it be very quiet yet high pitched?

Quick Reply: That high-pitched whine...