Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

High pitched sound at 130mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 11:33 AM

Car Info: wrb w/ v8 Sti gold
Originally posted by ride5000
ever wonder why you can't get a bar of boost at 3k rpms in first, but you can in 4th? same reason... bigger load.
I thought the ECU limited boost in 1st gear....so full boost would not be possible in first gear...
Old 07-12-2003, 05:03 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
I thought the ECU limited boost in 1st gear....so full boost would not be possible in first gear...
i do believe boost is ECU limited in 1st. raising the 1st gear boot limit is one of the first things that most tuners do to the ECU with a reflash. there is certainly enough exhaust gas flow at 3-4k rpm in 1st to generate more than 7psi of boost (which is what i think it's limited to).
Old 07-12-2003, 06:11 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
there is more load at higher speeds because you have to push your non aerodynamic car through the air
Old 07-13-2003, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 2002 Sooby WRX (not runing right)
The noise is the window Seal where the window glass and the small A Post at the front of your door meet at top, the rubber dosent make a seal correctly and it whistles, try having someone push on the rubber, the noise will go away. The seal costs $94 so have it covered under warranty, good luck geting them to cover it though. I had a hard time being that the techs refuse to drive over the speed limit (legal reasons) I dont blame em. Just take your car in constantly for the same problem stating that you know what it is, and they will eventualy get sick of you and replace it. thats what I did
Old 07-13-2003, 02:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
how exactly will high EGT's affect the piston rings? i'm guessing here that you're thinking partial throttle and high boost will cause the engine to run lean, thereby raising the exhaust gas temps. i don't think the exhuast gas temps would be doing the harm, but rather the engine running lean would be responsible for piston related harm. high EGTs are just a side affect of a lean mixture. i would think that hotter than normal exhaust gases would be more likely to damage things like exhaust gaskets and valve seats.

i have a hard time beliving that Subaru would program the ECU to let the engine run dangerously lean during high boost conditions, even under partial throttle
as for how high egts can themselves damage an engine:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=308395
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=120722

there's also some great info in those two threads about killing/hurting engines... even bone stock.

ken
Old 07-15-2003, 05:29 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
I have yet to top out my 02 WRX, but I have been in the area of 120+ with not wind noise. I expected more, but the quiet was awesome. I have a wagon, w/o the cross over luggage racks. I have heard many a car whistle while it works, at speeds of less that 70 mph. I'll put money on the mirrors or the racks as potential whistle makers. As to sustained high speed: any rotating mass generates more stress as it goes around faster (duh) but one hopes that Subaru built in enough to be able to withstand it. The ECU should sense what's happening and give the engine what it needs for the speed, throttle position, exhaust temp., etc. Anyway, there are few places in N. Atlantic USA where one can sustain 130 for more than a mile or so, without attracting serious fuzzy consequences.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:46 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
as for how high egts can themselves damage an engine:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...threadid=308395
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...threadid=120722

there's also some great info in those two threads about killing/hurting engines... even bone stock.

ken
cool, i'll skip on over and have a read.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:29 PM
LNR

Car Info: Hachi & The Soob
Originally posted by UM-WRXer
Then i was thinking that maybe it is because our stock tires are not rated to go that fast,....
Why would Subaru release a car with 140mph potential and then equip them with tires not rated for the capabilities of the car?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:50 PM

Why would the US government allow cars to be built that can go 140+ mph, and then require states to set speed limits.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sedan
I have been up to 135mph LEGALLY and there was no whistle. My car is a 2003 WRX Sedan w/ stock tires and the only aerodynamic mods would be the STi Grill and ZERO Sports CF Wing Risers. Make of it what you will.

Early 02 WRX's came with brake cooling ducts... later models did not... so the noise could be possibly attributed to that IF you have brake ducts. Again, mine is an 03 and does not have ducts nor whistles at high speeds. I have also heard of the side mirrors being the culprit, however, the rubber seal I can see. For some reason, Subaru race cars run those OEM (not US) side visor things. (JUN HYPER LEMON)

Dangers of going fast? How about crashing at such a high speed?! An actual danger is the intercooler. At such high speeds, the air entering the scoop only enters the rear most part of the intercooler. This fact justify's the various scoops with splitters like STi, ZERO Sports, APS, etc.

Originally posted by LNR
Why would Subaru release a car with 140mph potential and then equip them with tires not rated for the capabilities of the car?
Money.

Originally posted by PsiStar
Why would the US government allow cars to be built that can go 140+ mph, and then require states to set speed limits.
Money.

Well, that is all. Speed safe and legally like me, not unsafe and illegally. My insurance rates are high enough cuz of the many crashed WRX's and the GC8 owners dont appreciate it much either. (theirs went up too) Bye.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
I just heard this for the first time at the track the other day. Even though I've run at the same track at the same speed (or greater) just a month prior I didn't get the sound. My guess is the mirror because when I flipped the mirror closed, no more sound. It was kinda cool, though
Old 07-17-2003, 03:47 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
My sideview mirrors have that squeek/howl at about 80-90mph which I never really realized until very recently. But I do have the STI V2 lip and grill which supposedly change the aerodynamics of the car but in a small factor, according to STI.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:01 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
I think you need to use some honda race tape (IE duct tape) and cover the front of your car. That will get you some more HP and also get rid of the sound

Old 07-31-2003, 08:55 AM

Car Info: silver 03 rex
i have had the same prob. it is the side view mirrors partly but it also i the damn antenna when you hit high speeds the damn thing starts to vibrate like a mother. scared the sh$% out of me, but noting to worry about. its normal a couple of friend of mine have had the same prob.

Quick Reply: High pitched sound at 130mph