Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

High pitched sound at 130mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 11:20 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
You guys really love to talk out you're asses huh lol. Doesnt matter whether its 140mph or 60mph, its no different to the engine if its at the same RPM doofus. If you cant understand that concept go read a "how cars work" book or something. ****, people cruise down the autobahn all day in all kinds of cars (including WRX's) at those speeds, dont see them "ruining their compression (WTF?!!?)"
Old 03-31-2003, 01:37 PM

Car Info: SWP 07STI
Nah no mods yet. My life at college manages to squeak every penny out of me on the weekends, but soon. Im doing research now and will start saving up today! i agree with the dp and up replacement. But for now its just a pipe dream...

Peace in the Middle East
Old 03-31-2003, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
First time I heard it, I thought I was Steve Austin (she's breaking up, she's breaking up). 130 - 135 depending on wind conditions for me. Sounds like an air raid siren. Doesn't sound as if it is coming from passenger rear view, but it is. Folded in the mirrors and no noise.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:36 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
High speed noise

Not sure that you are talking about the same noise. I routinely drive at 80 - 100 and never hear the noise. I have only heard it at 130+. Yours is likely something different.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black Wrx
Noise at that speed can come from all kinds of air leaks. I would be willing to bet thats all it is. Whether it be the mirrors or a window or whatever. My friend dragraces his probe. When he was first building it we would drive down a service highway to test things out and he would always get this highpitched squealing noise around 100mph+. Well after much thought we eventually traced it to the left window seal. Your car is fine. Enjoy 130mph+, its fun as ****. As far as a governer goes, electronically limited to 155.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:53 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
You guys really love to talk out you're asses huh lol. Doesnt matter whether its 140mph or 60mph, its no different to the engine if its at the same RPM doofus. If you cant understand that concept go read a "how cars work" book or something. ****, people cruise down the autobahn all day in all kinds of cars (including WRX's) at those speeds, dont see them "ruining their compression (WTF?!!?)"
finally, someone with some sense! Seriously, driving that fast isn't going to kill your compression or your turbo. That's why we have these things that stick throught the floor that we shift when the engine starts to scream. The only things that will spin fast at those speeds are the tires and the portions of the drivetrain behind the gearbox.

it's also worth noting that treaded tires (as opposed to slicks) will produce road noise, and that the pitch will increase with speed. some WRXs also came with ducting to draw cool air towards the brakes. I'd imagine that those things might whistle at high speeds. Basically, anythin sticking out into the airstream has the potential to make noise. Radio antennas, hood scoops, vents, racks, spoilers, and even door handles can create noises when air flows over them fast enough. Honda actually had an issue on one of their motorcycles where at ~170mph the wind blast would actually push on the front brake lever hard enough to activate the brake light. Hell, every single vent in my motorcycle helmet whistles or makes some sort of noise at 150 (before someone flames me, i never ride over 80 on the street, i've just spent a lot of time on the track).

oh, and it might just be your passengers screaming too...
Old 07-09-2003, 06:12 PM

dropkick_muppet, what sorta helmet do you ride with, and more importantly what do you ride? Ive got a kbc vr-1 helmet and think great things about it. Granted I dont do track time with my bike but even on the highway at 80 its damn quiet.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:27 PM

dropkick_muppet, what sorta helmet do you ride with, and more importantly what do you ride? Ive got a kbc vr-1 helmet and think great things about it. Granted I dont do track time with my bike but even on the highway at 80 its damn quiet.
Arai Quantum F. 80 on the highway is fine with the custom silicone earplugs that i ride with on my naked SV650.

my track bike was a 2001 Yamaha R6. oh, and wind noise seems to go up exponentially on a bike from about 120 up. at 150, tucked in underneath the screen it's louder than hell, eve with plugs in.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:41 AM

Nice, beautiful bikes. I just picked upa 99 cbr600f4 a few months ago and love it. At 150 what sorta rpms are you at though? I would imagine thats got a lot to do with sound. I know my bike can set off car alarms in the city if it's up around 10k+. Of course there arent very many chance to push much past 10k rpms in the city, but the once in a while that I do car alarms love to go off.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:44 AM

Nice, beautiful bikes. I just picked upa 99 cbr600f4 a few months ago and love it. At 150 what sorta rpms are you at though? I would imagine thats got a lot to do with sound. I know my bike can set off car alarms in the city if it's up around 10k+. Of course there arent very many chance to push much past 10k rpms in the city, but the once in a while that I do car alarms love to go off.
i can't say for certain, but i'm pretty sure that i was at about 12,000rpm in 5th. the straight at thunderhill is pretty long, and you exit the last corner at about 60-70mph and then run it up through the gear box until braking down to about 100mph for turn 1. i tend to remember gears on the bike as 'up one exiting turn X, down two gears for turn y' as opposed to '4th for turn X, down to 2nd for turn y.'

at those sorts of speeds, the wind noise is a much bigger factor than engine noise.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
you guys that keep saying "an rpm is an rpm" are missing the point.

at 0 mph _i_ can push my car, and actually make it accelerate.

at 100 mph it takes 62 hp to push a subie through the air (nevermind accelerate).

see the difference? it's the massive LOAD placed on the engine by the drag and other frictional losses.

ever wonder why you can't get a bar of boost at 3k rpms in first, but you can in 4th? same reason... bigger load.

trust me, there are MUCH greater stresses on the engine when making a 140mph run than any other time! i can't believe this is even in question!? additional stresses will cause an earlier mechanical failure. they HAVE to.

now, whether or not this will IMMEDIATELY kill your engine depends a lot on how it's set up and how you're driving.

hold the throttle at something less than WOT while boosting heavily and you will get VERY high EGTs due to the ECU keeping it in closed loop fueling control. keep doing it and it will destroy your engine, probably damaging at the very least a ring land, and causing you a--wait for it--loss of compression!

even if a large amount of fuel is dumped in (i.e. you plant your foot on the floor and the ecu goes to open loop), egts will be quite high, much higher than they would be while putting around town at <60mph.

i'm not saying anything like the car isn't designed to go that fast, or that it must necessarily lead to immediate catastrophic failure, but you certainly should be aware of the consequences of what you're doing--what makes a high speed run particularly dangerous is the fact that it is a SUSTAINED and HEAVY load, for a few minutes straight.

jm2c
ken
Old 07-11-2003, 11:34 AM

hold the throttle at something less than WOT while boosting heavily and you will get VERY high EGTs due to the ECU keeping it in closed loop fueling control. keep doing it and it will destroy your engine, probably damaging at the very least a ring land, and causing you a--wait for it--loss of compression!
how exactly will high EGT's affect the piston rings? i'm guessing here that you're thinking partial throttle and high boost will cause the engine to run lean, thereby raising the exhaust gas temps. i don't think the exhuast gas temps would be doing the harm, but rather the engine running lean would be responsible for piston related harm. high EGTs are just a side affect of a lean mixture. i would think that hotter than normal exhaust gases would be more likely to damage things like exhaust gaskets and valve seats.

i have a hard time beliving that Subaru would program the ECU to let the engine run dangerously lean during high boost conditions, even under partial throttle

Quick Reply: High pitched sound at 130mph