Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

High pitched sound at 130mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 02:41 AM

next time, try folding in your passenger side mirror and see if that doesn't cure your problem.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:54 AM

With some wings you might fly!
Old 03-29-2003, 11:03 AM

I think most WRXs make the noise. Most of past thread have concluded that it is the mirrors as Dick Fitzwell suggested.

Is it ok to go 140 or so??????? Hmmm, let me think about that. You know, I just cannot imagine why it wouldn't be??!? Seriously, as I understand it, molecular cohesion starts getting weak about that speed & everything just sort of beams away & never reassembles.

Last edited by PsiStar; 03-29-2003 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:57 AM

Car Info: Real Slow
yo,

the high pitch noise or howl you guys are talking about are the side view mirrors. usually at about 125 mph.

if you've never heard it before you may think that your engine's about to blow up. the wrx is not the most aero dynamic car.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:19 AM

Thumbs up

ha, what do i win?
Old 03-30-2003, 11:35 AM

Sustained speeds over 100 by themself will not damage the engine. However, If it is under full boost the entire time, the combustion temps will increase and if sustained can cause piston damage.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:29 PM

Car Info: SWP 07STI
Hey Blue wrx03 i had the same prob. I was cruising about between 130 and 135 when i heard the high pitch squeeling from the front driver side wheel. It happened in the middle of winter up here in Maine when the winds were howling....at first i thought it might be a piece of my broken front bumper, when a tree got in my way (another story), rubbing against my tire, but soon after inspection i doubted it. Then i was thinking that maybe it is because our stock tires are not rated to go that fast, and maybe somehow the tire was making the noise. After reading all the replies i agree that it was the wind and the forces that the wind put on the car at these speeds but i dont think a mirror would cause such a wretched sound. I think it has something to do with the front axle drivetrain, although pacobeagle may be right because i have had my windshield replaced (funking ice storms) and have not heard the sound in a while. Well peeps, you are welcome to shoot me down if you think im wrong but im just posting my opinion (thats why forums are great! everyone with a wrx should post, so we can have loads of info) and hopefully we can find a resolution to this problem.

Peace in the Middle East -Johnny

Oh yea Blue wrx03 how fast have you gotton your wrx up to? Is there a Governer? Mods?

Last edited by UM-WRXer; 03-30-2003 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: High pitched sound at 130mph