Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

help with first mods and exhaust ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:16 PM

the search button is your friend.

If i get a cat back exhaust then a down pipe will that then be a turbo back or will i also need the mid pipe?
if the downpipe replaces both the dp cat and the midpipe cat, then itll be a turbo back.

I also see that alot of people are talking about throwing a cel in the up pipe?
yes the uppipe will throw a cel, do a search on resistor mod.

if so who makes one
helix has a great quality uppipe.

I also would like to know if it would be worth it to buy a chip after these mods
maybe a reflash?

gluck bud and welcome to the i-club!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
With a cat-back exhaust, you will need to replace the downpipe and the midpipe to have a turbo-back. Look at this diagram:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...xhaust+diagram

Having said that, there are some downpipes that replace both the stock downpipe and midpipe (Helix and others) and there are some that replace just the downpipe (Bosal and others). However it is argued that one system (turbo-back) by the same manufacturer produces better power than piecing one together. There are no hard numbers to back this up.

Throwing a CEL is when the Check Engine Light comes on after replacing one of the cats. There are fixes for this.

Helix makes a flex uppipe, and supposedly they are better at guarding against leaks.

Yes, buying a "chip" would be a good idea. That would maximize the power you get out of putting these parts on your car. Vishnu and Conn are a few choices for engine management.

Hope that helped...
Old 03-05-2004, 01:23 PM
VIP Member

ScoobyBoy beat me to the post. My fingers aren't fast enough!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by VRWRX
ScoobyBoy beat me to the post. My fingers aren't fast enough!
LOL
wow we have nearly the same info!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:58 PM

Car Info: Sold My Stage 4+ Wa-Goon :(
IGOTRBO: Rock on with your purchase; as for mods; id say get a regular up-pipe.. no flex needed (yes yes this can be argued)... however I live in the NE and I haven't had a problem with it yet (~9months); get a dp (you could go for an hks if you want to go cheap; dyno proven, you aren't losing too much hp without a bellmouth; i've seen it with my own eyes). Then from there just get a catback. All in all I pieced my exhaust together for ~490$ -- That includes the HKS downpipe, a TurboXS Up-Pipe and then a used cat-back.

As for the CEL; thats the check engine light. The up-pipe might throw it its the EGT Temperature. Just unplug the sensor, plug the hole in the uppipe with a bolt. Then bend a 2.2kOhm resistor into the sensor (female end); and gasket maker it all up, nice and water-tight. And the CEL will be gone (after you pull the code/reset the computer -- i.e. pull the ground off the battery).

Other than that; if you have the exhaust and up-pipe.. I'd say go buy a used unichip ~120$ (ebay). Have it reflashed to either stage 2 or three. Depending on what you really want/need. I have an exhaust, up-pipe, intercooler hoses, the ABC (Auxillary Boost Controller) that came with the unichip, a forced performance 18g Turbo and I'm running a stage 3 chip.

As for the ntercooler NX express kit. I'd say save your money and put some more to the side and get a nice Hyperflow Version 2 Top Mount Intercooler.

Thats just my .02. Right now Ive had enough with modifying my car + i've heard that Stage 4s only last to ~80k or so ??? ??? soo.. I'm thinkin about either goin all out with custom throttle-bodied twin turbo setup, or just saying f-it and just goin nuts with my suspension.

Thats the next thing you should really think about.. Swaybars, strut bars and endlinks. Make that car nice and tight.

Anyway, I could go on and on, and I bet you 50$ people will tell me i'm wrong in what i said; who cares.. just my opinion.

Have a Good one!

-G

Last edited by WRXWagon203; 03-05-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

There are three different designs for the downpipe. bellmouth, divorced wastegate (twin-dump), and regular. These refer to the side that bolts to the turbo.

Here's what a bellmouth DP looks like:

Here's what a divorced wategate (twin-dump) looks like:

A normal one (like the factory one and the HKS) would be like the twin-dump except there is only one hole. Instead of the wastegate having an area for its exhaust to go, there is a flat section of metal that the wastegate gasses run into. The idea is that the wastegate gasses have a smoother exit path with the bellmouth or twin-dump than with the regular. The theory is there is more power with smoother exhaust flow.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:10 PM

bellmouth gets my vote. but as for the best dp out there, its all opinion.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:16 AM
VIP Member

Perrin is a very respected brand. You couldn't go wrong with their parts.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:52 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by subaru_wagon
Is a Perrin DP or Up pipe worth the money?
Perrin is good, look into Helix as well.

:banana: