Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

HELP - Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 2004 San Remo Red WRX w/ Premimu package, Security package, and Short Throw shifter
Unhappy HELP - Car won't start

i have an 04 WRX with the only mod being the silencer delete (although i only cut it in half and taped up the open end.)

that was working fine for quite a while. i parked my car in the garage and hadn't driven it for maybe a week - it was driving just fine.

then i go to start it, and it won't start. electrical is working, and the ignition is kicking, but it won't turn over. the only clue i have is when you turn the key past the accessory spot, there is a whining noise, sort of like a vacuum line that can't get the air it needs. in any case, i'm stuck at the moment.

i know its something simple so i'd rather not take it to a garage if one of you wizards out there can help me (the warranty just ran out).

any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Hmmm... I dunno. Look in your engine bay to see if there is anything loose. When I had my ebay intake, my car would die on me because the MAF sensor thing would fall off. Sorry that I couldn't be of much help.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
does the whining noise stop?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 PM

the vaccum sound your hearing is probably the fuel pump priming.

is the motor turning over or is the starter just clicking? does the car completely die when you try to start it (all electrical is dead)?

if you have a digital multimeter check the battery voltage. because the car has been sitting the battery might be drained enough not to be able to engage the starter.

try starting the car with the headlights on. if everything dies your battery needs a jump.

Last edited by Shazam321; 09-20-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Car Info: 2004 San Remo Red WRX w/ Premimu package, Security package, and Short Throw shifter
nah - its not electrical - the starter is kicking over - it sort of sounds like the cylinder isn't getting gas - which is why i thought it might be a fuel filter.

the whining does stop after a second or so but i didnt notice that whine before - another reason the issue could be fuel related if that sound is the fuel pump as mentioned above.

ill also check the MAF to make sure its tight.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:58 AM

whats exactly going on with the car. cause im still a lil confused and i don't have too much info to go off of, then agian im diagnosing this from the other side of the country. i personally think your battery might be dead or discharged enough to not start. you don't want to start throwing new parts at the car when it was like a 30 cent fuse or something(ive personally done that approach and it is really irritating when you can't find the problem). if your car has under 60k miles your still under powertrain warrenty.

is the starter clicking or is it phsyiclly turning the motor over. is it making any wierd noises (knocking etc.) when you try to start it (excluding the fuel pump whining). does your car have gas(stupid thing to ask but it can be overlooked)? did you acidentally pull a coil pack wire from the passenger side head? forget to reconnect any harnesses?

(sorry for misspelled words english wasn't my best class.)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
I've been here before.

Either your battery or your starter is near death (or the connections to/from your starter and battery are not doing well). AFAIK, the ticking sound is your starter failing to have enough juice to turn the flywheel.

Put some jumper cables on it, I bet it'll start right up.

I like Shazam's explanation of the whining. If you sit in the driver's seat, where does it sound like the whining is coming from? If its from behind you and to your right, Shazam's exactly right.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
so what was it??