Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Helix Downpipe Install, Good, Bad, and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Helix Downpipe Install, Good, Bad, and the Ugly

THE GOOD:

Got the DP install with out too much issue, far from perfect though. It is on, and as far as I can tell leak free. Performance seems to be pretty damn good, boost hits sooner, and car feels a lot better, I've only gone 15 miles so hoepfully the Cobb ECU will learn to run more boost too.

The Bad:

The flange that connects to the turbo was just a HAIR off, very easily fixed, just filed down the outer portion of the hole for one of the studs 30 seconds later it slid right on.

I have an Automatic, I don't know if this is the case or not on manuals but the braket that connect to the tranny doesnt seem to be in the right place. So I took the bracket off, and everything seems kosher with that.

Another issue not related to the DP(far as I know) not running quite as much boost as I would like for the Cobb Stage 2, but hopefully that is something that can be worked out as the ECU learns.

THE UGLY:
The Helix DP, angles up where it connects to the catback, I thought this was one of the things fixed with their now 3rd version of the DP, but I guess that will have to wait for version 4 The upward angle of the DP makes the catback also angle upward (unless you want leaks). So now the Exhaust is resting about 1mm below the bumper cover, and has already started to melt the bumper. Which if my bumper wasn't already ****ed up, I wouldn't have even left the Helix DP on the car. Very disappointed with the fitment on the Helix, with so many good reviews from other's I would have expected more. That being said, until I get a new bumper the helix will be staying on the car.

Last edited by Slack; 07-10-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
I posted a review about the Helix DP on the reviews section about the same fitment problems. but my review isn't showing up even though it says I had rated the product already. :\

My advice is to re-weld the bracket back onto where it bolts to the tranny, otherwise the vibrations you might get will shake the downpipe side to side and run a risk of having future problems associated with the DP being somewhat loose. (My DP actually kept banging against the tranny itself because of the bracket being torn off).

Hope that helps.

- James
Old 07-11-2004, 03:33 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Is this the helix v3 downpipe? I just installed the v3 downpipe on someones car and the fitment was perfect. Everything lined up fine. But its true with helix dp's the last flange does angle up a little causing it to leak on aftermarket catbacks without a flex. I put the dp on a car with stock catback and it matched perfect. Also i have the helix v2 and have no problems with it on my car but my catback (hks carbon ti) has a flex so it can angle down and mate with the dp.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
More exhausts need that flex that you have for your HKS exhaust, Dan. If the vendors are starting to put a flex in the uppipe, why not the downpipe? I think it is just as important and I was surprised when I found out my Blitz didn't have one and not many DP's have one at all.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Originally Posted by fusionsr
You almost certainly don't have a V3 downpipe. I believe they removed the transmission bracket after the first version because of these fitment issues. The v2 (which I have) only has one bracket and fit astonishingly well. The clearence for the uppipe studs in the turbo flange was perfect.
I think I should mention I have the catted DP, but I don't see that making any fitment differences.