Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Header and Exhaust HP Gains

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 04:52 PM

I'd really like to see an equal length 4-1 w/ bolt on up pipe. Think Maxim works w/ a bolt on uppipe. That or an equal lenth 421 one piece. Polished is not important as it does not last, and offers no benefits. I plan to ceramic coat mine anyway. I also hate flex joints in headers. I just don't trust their long term durability.

Speaking of downpipes, a twin dump dp that kills the last two cats would be a great item. Both Vishnu and Bosals don't do this. This means that anyone who wanted to go catless w/ one of the catbacks out there would have to use a stromung 3rd cat elim. And it's 2.5in. Obviously it's ideal to have no reductions in the exhaust on a turbo car post turbine, but that just makes the compromise even worse. If you guys did a 3in turbo back w/ an XR1, man I'd be all over that in a hurry. I love the round and oval XR1s.

My pointohtwo,
Ken

Last edited by DeliciouSpeed; 02-11-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:35 PM

Last edited by Sloppy Joe; 02-12-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:34 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by Concillian
I would like to see an inexpensive header which undeniably improves bottom end (if that's possible)

Looks are unimportant.

I beleive I'm not alone in saying looks will not sell me a header, the design of the header (4-2-1 vs. 4-1) will not sell me a header, believable dyno comparisons absolutely will sell me a header.
I second that. I believe that the equal length headers improve performance more than unequals do. Why? I think it's because the exhaust pulses all arrive to the collecto at different times, but I can't be sure.

I would definitely be interested in seeing a new header with proven power adding capabilities especially in the bottom end of the power curve, but not killing top-end either. If that's at all possible.

I would vote against the ceramic coating unless it's cheaper than sending the header out to be coated by Jet-Hots 2000+ coating. Thanks for taking a personal interest in our cars, David. Oh and I could care less how the thing looks either.

Quick Reply: Header and Exhaust HP Gains