Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Gruppe-S UP/Helix DP Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:37 PM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)
Gruppe-S UP/Helix DP Installed!

First, I'd like to give props to my boy Infek for the install. So far so good - no leaks, no cels.

FITMENT
My Helix DP was part of the first batch with the defective brackets. I was prepared for the worst, but fitment was actually pretty good. It bolted up to the catback and turbo nicely. The only problem was the hole in the rear bracket which had to be enlarged about 1/4 inch more for the bolt to fit through. The Gruppe-S uppipe fit very well. The only problem was the stud on the opposite side of the downpipe by the turbo. We couldn't seem to torque it down enough and it ended up protruding just enough to prevent the DP from going on. We ended up having to trim the end of the stud (no more than a 1/4 inch) for the DP to clear.

SOUND
I was really concerned about how a catless exhaust would sound as I did not want to attract any unwanted attention from the popo. Ultimately, the power benefits associated with going catless outweighed the noise concerns. When we finally started her up, I had mixed feelings. It sounded like the exhaust note went up a couple of octaves and had less bass than my previous setup which consisted of just the Greddy catback. Sad to say, it definitely sounds like a four banger now below 2000. The difference is barely audible at idle, but when you start to move at low rpms it sounds almost 'tinny'. Thankfully, WOT was a completely different story. The signature boxer sound seemed to be accentuated producing this new, rapsy goodness.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
It's hard to measure the improvement in rpm, but spool improved like a ****. People with catless exhaust and stock turbo really shouldn't complain about lag. I did the basic stoplight start - nice and easy. I punched it once we started moving and it took off like a N/A car. I never felt comfortable in this car from a roll, but this certainly changes things. It feels so much more responsive. But while there is more power across the board, it really feels like more of a driveability/responsiveness mod at this point. I was hoping this would be good for .5, but that may be a reach.

In retrospect, the dreaded install really isn't THAT bad for as long as there are no fitment issues or problems with studs and bolts. Overall, I'd have to say I'm pretty satisfied. There's so much hype about the UP/DP that my expectations became unrealistic. While it didn't transform my car into a Porsche like I hoped, the car definitely feels much better. And if it does knock .5 off my times, I'll be singing the praises and preaching the catless ministry across the internet.

Last edited by palaban; 01-20-2003 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
So how much did it cost you?
Old 01-20-2003, 07:43 PM

Uppipe - $150 shipped
Downpipe - $350 shipped + $75 credit toward future Gruppe-S purchases

Install - free
Old 01-20-2003, 09:58 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Ritchie, your going to have to take me for a ride in that beast of yours I am lookng at getting that pipe and wanted to hear what it would do to a car with only a catback.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
palaban:: Is that an UP with the flex or without?? I've been trying to read up on the pros and cons of both.

WRX-U:: Gruppe-S / GermanAutowerks is GREAT. Awesome customer service, great prices, and fast, low-cost but high quality shipping.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:35 AM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
Originally posted by InfamousDX
palaban:: Is that an UP with the flex or without?? I've been trying to read up on the pros and cons of both.

WRX-U:: Gruppe-S / GermanAutowerks is GREAT. Awesome customer service, great prices, and fast, low-cost but high quality shipping.
gruppe-s up-pipe does not have a flex joint
Old 01-21-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by teiva-boy
Ritchie, your going to have to take me for a ride in that beast of yours I am lookng at getting that pipe and wanted to hear what it would do to a car with only a catback.
I'll be at the track Friday. Actually, you need to get the rest of your goodies installed and take ME for a ride in your beast. I'm doing to see what the ION can do with the boost cranked up.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:25 PM

The Helix replaces the two cats after the turbo and bolts up to the catback.