Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

got the car tuned, can't hold the boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 01:54 AM

got the car tuned, can't hold the boost

hi all, just got a dynotuned by shiv for my VS stg2 wrx. the car put down 245 whp. shiv told me he could only get the boost up to 16.5 psi which seems lower than other stg wrx's, and the boost can't hold till redline. he said that the header I have ( gruppes v2 header) was the main reason that my car hits lower boost. he also mentioned my car got a better mid range torqe than others. why is that? the header gave me a better mid range and lose some top end? anyone have dyno'd stg2 with headers? what whp did you put out? can you guys post the dyno plot? I really want my car to have 17.5 psi and hold to the redline, so the car may make more power. anyway, big thank to shiv, my car is running much better and strong now
thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
the header will majorly improve mid range due to the fact that it flows better. it also will decrease top end for the same reason. in a trubo set up you have to create pressure in order to make pressure.

in order to get up to 17.5psi in the intake side, you have to have a pressuree greater then that in the exaust side. i dunno what turbo you are running, but it may not be able to push that psi with such a large volume of air b4 the exaust side. subarus are notorious for this due to the location of the turbo.

congrats on the stg 2. must be fun to drive.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
I used to own a 1G DSM before my sub and I must say the turbo placement in this car is ish. The stock turbo on a 1G can hold 22psi or higher till redline no prob.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Originally posted by international B
the header will majorly improve mid range due to the fact that it flows better. it also will decrease top end for the same reason. in a trubo set up you have to create pressure in order to make pressure.

in order to get up to 17.5psi in the intake side, you have to have a pressuree greater then that in the exaust side. i dunno what turbo you are running, but it may not be able to push that psi with such a large volume of air b4 the exaust side. subarus are notorious for this due to the location of the turbo.

congrats on the stg 2. must be fun to drive.
Wow, that whole thing about making pressure on the turbine was a collosal load of crap. All the header does is reduce exhaust turbulance and smooth out the delivery of exhasut pulses to the turbine. The only way it wold reduce the pressure differential over the turbine is if there was an exhaust leak. How in gods name could a header reduce exhaust pressure? What? Did you totally pull that out of you're ***?

I'm not usually an ***, but when people just completely BS on car forums, it's damn annoying.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:11 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Originally posted by theworx
I used to own a 1G DSM before my sub and I must say the turbo placement in this car is ish. The stock turbo on a 1G can hold 22psi or higher till redline no prob.
Turbo placement?

The turbo placement has jack **** to do with the amount of boost a turbo can produce. The amount of boost a turbo will create is a result of turbo efficency, compressor and turbine trim, wheel sizes, bearing quality etc.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Originally posted by Br1t1shguy
Wow, that whole thing about making pressure on the turbine was a collosal load of crap. All the header does is reduce exhaust turbulance and smooth out the delivery of exhasut pulses to the turbine. The only way it wold reduce the pressure differential over the turbine is if there was an exhaust leak. How in gods name could a header reduce exhaust pressure? What? Did you totally pull that out of you're ***?

I'm not usually an ***, but when people just completely BS on car forums, it's damn annoying.
obviously you dont know what a wastegate does then do you?

what he really meant to say was this...

wow, i really dont know jack ish about trubo chargers.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX

that is now how i understand it:

suppose you blow through a small straw (you know, like a coffee straw) to a small fan, vary the pressure you put to the straw, it won't turn the fan that fast...

now, take a regular straw, do the same. spins a little better

now, take a milk shake straw (a little bigger), do the same, spins even a little better more...

now, take a 1" pvc pipe, do the same.... wow the fan doesnt spin at all! too much flow!

with your logic, they would all spin at the same rate w/ the different types of pressure, right? i mean, the only way it would reduce the pressure differential over the fan is if there was a straw leak... right?
Old 11-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

Did Bigfoot give you a facial up there in Ore-gone???

Look at what odyss3y typed you moron. Before you start to sit there and be so ****ing critical of other people, maybe you should really think about what was said. It makes perfect sense to me, and to think that increased diameter piping headers WON'T reduce pressure of the exhaust flow is pretty dumb. sure boost pressure has nothing to do with turbo location, but spool time does...

Put a 10" exhaust on your car, and see if you have any tq to make it move...

-Gagan
Old 11-26-2003, 09:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
that is true...most of the people on I-club are just trying to help, taking time out of there day to voice thier opinions. And if all you do is criticize everyone elses posts then you don't have to post.

Darkspeed just wants some help....

good luck (bet that Stg 2 is fun )

Rocky

Last edited by qwk_wrx; 11-26-2003 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:37 AM

thanks suberacer, I just discovered that boost is acting differently these days. instead of getting low boost, the boost actually spikes to 1.3 bar =18.85 psi which I think is too high, I mingt need to turn the boost down. another thing I discovered is that on my dyno sheet, the boost starts to drop from 4200 or 4300 rpm. shiv told me that my car can't hold the boost till redline, but on my boost gauge, when boost hits, it holds all the way to redline. at first I thouht the boost gauge is not accurate, so i hooked up my friends' gauge to see if the boost would drop. guess what, it still holds well and never falls. I am pretty happy that my car actually holds the boost now, but why would my car not hold the boost when it's being dyno tuned? can anyone answer this?
thanks
Old 11-27-2003, 02:55 AM

anyone know if xede eliminates the fuel cut? i am boosting 1.3 bar and never hit fuel cut. it's weird.....
Old 11-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
Originally posted by darkspeed
thanks suberacer, I just discovered that boost is acting differently these days. instead of getting low boost, the boost actually spikes to 1.3 bar =18.85 psi which I think is too high, I mingt need to turn the boost down. another thing I discovered is that on my dyno sheet, the boost starts to drop from 4200 or 4300 rpm. shiv told me that my car can't hold the boost till redline, but on my boost gauge, when boost hits, it holds all the way to redline. at first I thouht the boost gauge is not accurate, so i hooked up my friends' gauge to see if the boost would drop. guess what, it still holds well and never falls. I am pretty happy that my car actually holds the boost now, but why would my car not hold the boost when it's being dyno tuned? can anyone answer this?
thanks
Perhaps lack of airflow on the dyno as even with the fans that they have Vishnu they still don't compare to the amount of air being forced onto the IC when the car is moving.

Also a point to note is that given the size of the turbochargers being used and the other pieces on your car is it doubtful that turbo placement or headers are to blame for the lack of holding boost (we have a car with the same headers holding way more boost till redline all day).

What Dave (odyss3y) wrote is correct but something I would like to mention is that in the case of the headers you have the added airflow is not really at the extent to if you like not move the fan as unless something has been changed in the design of the headers from the ones we have seen they are about the same size diameter wise as the stockers but just a better design giving improved flow (not huge no fan moving flow ) which may be why they come with free gaskets that look remarkably similiar to the OEM ones

Mike

(510) 487-4447
www.mpjperformance.com
www.gb-motorsports.com
Old 11-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
doogie - Was that number gained using the bottle? As I have never ever heard of a stock turbo'd car running that kind of number and think the most we have seen is like 230whp on a dynojet.

The above car based on what I understand the stage 2 Vishnu setup is either using a vf30 or vf34 and at 245whp using 16.5psi is well within what you would expect to see on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

Can you post the dyno sheet of the 255whp run I would like to see the power curve from the stocker at that level.

Mike

(510) 487-4447
www.mpjperformance.com
www.gb-motorsports.com

Quick Reply: got the car tuned, can't hold the boost