Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Good Catback Dual Tip/stock Looking Exhaust W/decent Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:29 PM

Question Good Catback Dual Tip/stock Looking Exhaust W/decent Power

GOOD CATBACK DUAL TIP/STOCK LOOKING EXHAUST W/DECENT POWER!!??

I'm planning on getting a catback exhaust, and the dual-tips seem to amuse me b/c of it's stock sleeperish look to it. But at the same time i'm having a hard time finding one that has a good amount of power behind it, along with decent loud/soft rumbles..annnnnnnnd at the same time, will not leave me any future problems.

Any suggestions on what kind of exhaust?? If anyone has sound clips please post 'em up, or pix! Thanks!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by SPT_TRBO_AWD
I'm planning on getting a catback exhaust, and the dual-tips seem to amuse me b/c of it's stock sleeperish look to it. But at the same time i'm having a hard time finding one that has a good amount of power behind it, along with decent loud/soft rumbles..annnnnnnnd at the same time, will not leave me any future problems.
Which model year and car do you drive?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-12-2005, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 98'RS
^^^yea what he said^^^
http://www.borla.com/proxs/pages/muflrdual.php
i'll let you know how it sounds next week.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:42 PM

You might also want to check out the exhaust system reviews (or check out the reviews in general by clicking the link below the page banners.

--
0==WW==0
Old 02-12-2005, 12:53 PM

Smile

i drive a 2004 wrx sedan
Old 02-12-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks "wingless wonder" for the review, it helped A LOT!

i'm trying to decide now between greddy evo2 catback, cobb tuing 3" catback, and vishnu catback exhaust (dual tip).
Old 02-12-2005, 06:20 PM

I have the Strömung 3" dual-tip catback. I like it a lot but it's hard for me to give an objective opinion because it's the only aftermarket catback I've ever had on the car. I like the sound, which is louder than both the factory and Borla Hush catbacks but not as loud as some of the bigger single-tip catbacks. Does not resonate on the highway but because the 3" tubing is tucked up way underneath the car for maximum ground clearance, it will occasionally bump and 'clang' on one of the rear differential bolts, which is a bit annoying. I also had to use Kartboy exhaust hangers because the factory soft rubber hangers allow too much movement.

I've heard that a catback will do nothing for car performance without a full downpipe/midpipe change at the same time. I purposely chose a 3" catback because I wanted to reduce exhaust backpressure as much as possible without going to a really loud muffler.

I was surprised at the drag strip where I showed a fairly consistent 0.2 to 0.3 second improvement in E.T. although the trap speed mph was down noticeably. The shop that tuned my car told me that the lower trap speed indicated a high-speed leanout due to the less restrictive catback. It pulled harder in the mid-range so that more than made up for the lower peak HP.

What I would look for in a catback is a 3" system with no abrupt bends in the tubing, and a straight-through muffler with either single or dual-tips. The dual-tips definitely attracts less attention from law enforcement although the larger single tip might be worth a little something because the exhaust flows in a straighter line from inlet to outlet.

I don't know if you have local i-Club meets in your area (your location field is blank) but a good way to see and hear exhaust systems firsthand is to check out what everyone else is running.

--
0==WW==0
Old 02-12-2005, 06:37 PM
VIP Member

i have the borla hush. its really not that quiet its a nice rumble similar to stromung. honestly just get the one u think looks better cuz even tho the stromung is a bit louder its not noticeable. and the borla is stainless steel all the way around which looks nicer except if it rusts.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
I went from a Full 3” Blitz Nur-Spec R catback to a full 3” Stromung dual tip and the butt dyno didn’t notice any decrease in power. I love the sound and look of the Stromung. If you decide to go with the Stromung here are a few places to check out https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...light=Stromung http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/home.php?cat=3.

BTW, I have a full 3” TBE.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:00 PM

whoaaaaaa that 3" stromung dual tip tbe is exactly what i'm looking for but thatssss muchoooo $$$$...=/
Old 02-13-2005, 02:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I'm going with the Perrin Dual Tip catback
Old 02-13-2005, 02:37 PM

seein many audi n video clips i hear that hte perrin dual tip is LOUUUUUD..im pretty sure they have a sound/ video clip on vividracing.com
Old 02-13-2005, 02:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by SPT_TRBO_AWD
seein many audi n video clips i hear that hte perrin dual tip is LOUUUUUD..im pretty sure they have a sound/ video clip on vividracing.com
It's only loud when you're really on it. Idle and normal driving isn't too bad. And it sounds incredible.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
I guess I should point out that the Stromung intermediate pipe doesn’t look like the pic that Flashndash has posted. It has been reengineered and now has a big flex joint and a dent for clearance. I didn’t like the intermediate pipe and Flashndash doesn’t do returns or exchanges so If you are interested I would be willing to sell the intermediate section for $125 + shipping ($210 new). It has never been used and there are a couple pic's of the flex and factory dent on this link (post #17) https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/look-what-santa-bought-me-83528/.

This pipe is made to bolt up to a 3" midpipe so if you have an OE DP and midpipe (cat pipe) it will not work unless an exhaust shop could find a way to modify your OE midpipe.