Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Fluttering noise when boost drops?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:35 AM

Question Fluttering noise when boost drops?

I have a 03 WRX, Vishnu ECU, HKS BOV and B & B catted down pipe. Car was running fine until a few days ago. I am noticing that when I am letting off the throttle the boost decreases and I hear a fluttering noise coming from the front of the car. Any ideas what it could be?

P.s. My tranny is grinding going into 5th... thinking it is a synchro...That's been going on for months now though, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. It only makes fluttering noise when decreasing from boost.

thanks....
Old 08-13-2005, 02:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
my buddy has the HKS SSQS or whatever and it makes this weird *** fluttering kind of sound....I dont know what exactly causes it, but he blames it on the BOV
Old 08-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Car Info: My 2009 FIT for sale!!!!!!!!!!
i think the adjustment screw on the BOV, is the adjustment screw screwed in all the way(if it is... it may turbo surge you are hearing)?.... it(turbo surge) may cause damage to the turbo..... if its the same noise your talking about. happens as for the trans issue...... try changing the trans fluid.... thats the usually the verdict.....whens the last time you checked your trans fluid???????? if the level and the fluid has been changed, hopefully its not the syncros. good luck to you man
Old 08-13-2005, 10:09 PM

Question

My tranny is going out... the fifth gear sychro is going out. I have been driving around with it like that for about 6 months. I had the tranny fluid changed about 7 months ago at the dealer... About a few weeks later the tranny's 5th gear scynchro went out. Could that cause the fluttering noise.

I only hear the fluttering noise once some sort of boost is detected on my boost gauge... otherwise no fluttering noise to be heard. Again the fluttering noise happend when boost is decreasing to normal levels.

As far as the adjustment screw on the BOV, I never touched it.. everything was working fine until one day I just started hearing the fluttering noise when the boost level starts to drop.

ANYONE, please help... this car is killing my pocket book.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2005, 11:02 PM

fluttering noise from the BOV....... most def. what kind a BOV do you have. i think the greddy or the blitz BOV does that.(not really sure) did you plug off the recirc hose where the stock BOV connected to?? as for tran syncros there is no way it will make the fluttering noise when boosting. if the syncro is bad then you get grinding noise or you cant get it gear sometimes. you going to have to replace that syncro. hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:36 AM

Question

I have a HKS SSQV BOV. I have no idea where the recirc hose is...I bought the car with the BOV on there. But like I said.. i did nothing to the car and just a few days ago I get this fluttering sound.

Is there a diagram of how to connect these lines?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks....
Old 08-14-2005, 03:32 AM

its like pass side of the BOV, like a 3-4 inch hoses if its not connected to anything.... it should have a plug in it.

Originally Posted by djtmalta
I have a HKS SSQV BOV. I have no idea where the recirc hose is...I bought the car with the BOV on there. But like I said.. i did nothing to the car and just a few days ago I get this fluttering sound.

Is there a diagram of how to connect these lines?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks....
Old 08-14-2005, 04:41 AM

Question

Hey dude, I checked all the lines on the BOV and they seem fine... even unbolted the BOV to see if the gasket was blown but it is still intact.

Could this possible be the wastegate on the turbo... sounds like the noise is comming from that side of the car... maybe even a blown gasket somewhere involving the turbo/wastegate?!?

I have a boost gauge and I think my car is not even hitting full boost before I redline it... seems like only partial boost... only hitting like .05 - .08 bars.... isnt it supposed to hit close to .15 bars??

I have had my ECU flashed from vishnu about 1 year ago so If that helps out any...

thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 12:02 PM

Flutter problem solved

I took out the piece of **** K&N cold air intake and put back in the stock air box minus the silencer and all the fluttering sounds when boost was decreasing comepletly stopped.

Also, my boost now actually goes a little above .05-.08.. it's now hitting a little over .1 - but that still seems a little low..

next step, take out the hks BOV and replace it with the stock unit. Hopefully my boost will increase to normal.

thanks...