Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Flowmaster Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:49 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Flowmaster Mufflers

Back when I was into domestic cars (when I was born until a few days before I bought my WRX ) I considered Flowmaster mufflers to be far and away the best sounding and performing mufflers for American V8s. I am curious to hear if any one has experimented with a Flowmaster muffler on their rex, because if no one has I will definitely be the first to try it out.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
so you're saying you're running NO muffler at all? and i assume it's not ridiculously loud?

hmm.

i wonder if it's worthwhile to keep the cats and remove the muffler, as opposed to the reverse (removing cats and keeping muffler) in terms of flow restriction.

it sure would be easier to pass emissions inspection that way.

ken
Old 02-12-2003, 08:28 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX | 95 GC
Re: Flowmaster Mufflers

Originally posted by Steppin Razor
Back when I was into domestic cars (when I was born until a few days before I bought my WRX ) I considered Flowmaster mufflers to be far and away the best sounding and performing mufflers for American V8s. I am curious to hear if any one has experimented with a Flowmaster muffler on their rex, because if no one has I will definitely be the first to try it out.
If you do it, can you get a sound sample and post it. I am very curious as to how this would sound. Keep us updated.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:35 AM
@Stoptech

Originally posted by mmurray75
Just have a custom straight pipe made to replace the muffeler section. I did and I love the sound it cost me $45 to have it made at Midas. It won't be to loud if you have all the cats in place.
Acutally, I've been running that exact setup for about four months now.

But enough about the straight pipe setup, if you want to talk about that start your own damn thread!!

Flowmasters any one?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:15 PM

Re: Flowmaster Mufflers

Originally posted by Steppin Razor
I am curious to hear if any one has experimented with a Flowmaster muffler on their rex, because if no one has I will definitely be the first to try it out.
ummm. I was asking about the Flowmasters? I take it from your remark that you haven't tried it yet.

oppssss mis-read the quote. you weren't talking to me... sorry. But I still want to know about the flowmasters.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:48 PM

just saw on Horsepower TV (on TNN)

http://www.horsepowertv.com/hotparts..._date=02/16/03

they showed the new Flowmaster mufflers made for the WRX.

Now I wonder how it sounds?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:58 PM
@Stoptech

i can't even find the damn thing on their website. what are the bets on what they're charging for a cat-back or whatever their "american thunder" system is? i'll start the bidding at $450. why not just buy one of their two chamber mufflers from summit and then have your local muffler shop bend and weld pipe to it? and that is directed directly at you mattr762!! that is unless you LIKE to waste money.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:56 PM

If anybody is interrested the Retail price is $279 and sumittracing.com has them for $176.39 with free ground shipping. They are back ordered at the moment. I spoke with flowmaster this morning and they said it is a 40 series muffler, 3.5" slant cut Stainless steel tip, and 16 gauge alumininezed(SP?) steel. They also said it is a flange back(axle-back) with 2.25" pipe. The Sumitt part number is FLO-17359.

Jeremy
Old 02-19-2003, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by jland67
If anybody is interrested the Retail price is $279 and summitracing.com has them for $176.39 with free ground shipping. They are back ordered at the moment. I spoke with flowmaster this morning and they said it is a 40 series muffler, 3.5" slant cut Stainless steel tip, and 16 gauge aluminized steel. They also said it is a flange back(axle-back) with 2.25" pipe. The Summit part number is FLO-17359.

Thanks for getting that information, Jeremy.

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush
Old 02-19-2003, 10:54 PM
@Stoptech

yeah, thanks for the info!!

i still think it would be smarter to buy a 2.75 or 3" 40 series muffler and have it welded into your axle back. that way you don't have to deal with some shiny *** tip (if that's not your deal) and you can choose what diameter the tubing is all the way through.

the price for the axle back is actually pretty good compared to all the JDM ripoff crap we're used to seeing. $380 for a prodrive muffler? nothing can sound THAT good!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by jland67
If anybody is interrested the Retail price is $279 and sumittracing.com has them for $176.39 with free ground shipping. They are back ordered at the moment. I spoke with flowmaster this morning and they said it is a 40 series muffler, 3.5" slant cut Stainless steel tip, and 16 gauge alumininezed(SP?) steel. They also said it is a flange back(axle-back) with 2.25" pipe. The Sumitt part number is FLO-17359.

Jeremy

thanks Jeremy!
Old 02-20-2003, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan
wonder how a Dynomax or Magnaflo would work?

In the air cooled VW world, all the 200+hp street cars run a 2.5" or a 3" Magnaflow or Dynomax Super Turbo and still push 200+ at the flywheel and post 11.90-12.25's @105mph plus, running a single mulffler on about a 2300cc motor (naturally aspirated, dual Weber 48mm carbs, intake ports that move around 215cfm @28"). They sound great on the VW boxers, I imagine they would scream on WRX's. My idea is to utilize a 2.5" Magnaflow and use a simple 2.5" angle cut, flat-black or white (like rally car) finish. More of a business look instead of the flash.

I do like the appearance of the Stromung dual tip SS muffler. Do they increase engine response any and how do they sound?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:50 PM

Thanks Jeremy thats what I have been looking for

I Wonder what the DB ratting is for this and how it compares in performance to stock. I missed the show but a friend told me they saw it and it frees up some pretty good HP for an axel back.

Last edited by STIaddict; 02-20-2003 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Mufflers