Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

first real mods... need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
first real mods... need help

ok so i have around 1400 dollers and i cant decide what to get. at first i was thinkg TBE and a BOV, now my other options are TBE and a Up-pipe and MBC, UTEC with Up-pipe, or Rims and tires. what combo should i get, i really cant decide. please help any, other opions on what to get would be sweet too, thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 05:46 PM

it really depends on what you are looking for. if you are satisfied with the power of the stock wrx, then go for the rims and tires. or if you want more power go for the tbe and uppipe. id forget about the bov.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
The first thing i did was rims/tires/lowering springs. But my recommendation would be for a tbe and uppipe. It all depends on whether you want to upgrade 'show' or 'go' first. I figured that the car already had some 'go', so that's why i went with the shoes first.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

yea true, well the tires will help with handling so it wont be all show. but i still cant decide, i will be buying in about 2 weeks so keep your opions coming all help will be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
1) turboback
2) uppipe
3) reflash (cobb, vishnu, etc.)

just my opinion...i just wanna go fast!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 06:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
well, with 1400 you could do the following:
s-squared up-pipe from www.ss-ms.com (they're in sacramento, so it's not that far) - $375 installed
s-squared custom reflash - $650
Kuhmo Ecsta MX (or similar) from www.tirerack.com in stock size - $350
Old 02-28-2004, 10:11 PM

if anything, dont go with vishnu.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
Originally posted by ilivas
if anything, dont go with vishnu.
i myself dont have any vishnu mods, yet i know a few people who have and r very happy w/ the performance...im just curious what experience u have had to not recommend vishnu...
Old 02-28-2004, 10:57 PM

it's not that their parts are low quality, it's just that vishnu has totally turned their back on us wrx'ers for the evo crowd. He has basically halted all product development for the wrx's and no longer participates on the wrx forums.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:20 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by ilivas
it's not that their parts are low quality, it's just that vishnu has totally turned their back on us wrx'ers for the evo crowd. He has basically halted all product development for the wrx's and no longer participates on the wrx forums.
Not quite correct, sir. I believe that STi development is still ongoing. Also, since custom tuning is done in-house at Vishnu Performance, off-the-shelf maps are revised with minor tweaks (improvements) as needed.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...threadid=45862

Vishnu Performance is still a registered Vendor on i-Club and is also one of the sponsors of i-Club's Subaru Track Attack day at Buttonwillow Raceway.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-29-2004, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

ok im not sure yet but say im goign to get the Turboback. who do i order from? Flat4Engineerings has really good prices, so does world one.. any other ideas? and should i go Invidia or Helix?? i really cant decide
Old 02-29-2004, 08:11 PM

Helix and invidia are exactly the same design. Helix is probably cheaper, I got my helix brand new off ebay for $250.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:30 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
You could always get the helix downpipe and then get a different catback. This might be a more attractive option because it gives you some creativity by choosing your muffler and sound, but it's hard to beat the price of the Helix turboback from Gruppe-s.com.

On the other hand, I might go with rims and tires first, today I was driving in the left lane of a three lane road going about 60mph and a GMC Jimmy came pulling out a gas station very slowly and came all the way in to the left lane, I came a few feet from his bumper, I was standing on the brake pedal. I seriously think I would have hit him if I had my RE-92's still on the car.

I had just finished detailing the car too, it looks soooo good. I 'm glad I didn't ##$@^&$@# it all up. Sorry to vent here, but improved tires are a safety feature too, the S-03's I have now do much better in the wet than those stock tires.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:19 AM

the tbe would be a good start. like others have said, helix and invidia are the same. theyre like sister companies. helix makes replicas of the invidia, both are good quality. gruppe-s or mpj has good prices on the helix.
imho id stay away from the hks. it may be cheaper than the other dp's, but....do a search on the hks and many people have different opinions about them. i personally dont have a hks but ive seen one in person. the quality looks pretty nice, but since the opening is the same as stock kind of pushes me away from it. but its your call.
gluck
Old 03-01-2004, 07:14 AM
VIP Member

ok thanks for the replies, i have a little while to decide. ill let you guys know when i order

Quick Reply: first real mods... need help