Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

feels like a loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 08:11 AM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX
feels like a loss of power

Hey, I have had my WRX for abot 2 months now and the car feels like there is a little bit of the power missing. The quick get up and go seems to be gone. I brang it to the dealer and they said that all the power is there and nothing is restricting it. But to me it still feels as if there is power missing from the car. I think it might jest be me but i am not shur. I could be getting used to the car and just not feeling the power anymore. The biggest thing i noticed is when I first got it there seemed to be a strong pull right before 3000RPM's. Now I just dont feel it anymore. If anyone has any Ideads about what they think it could be let me know. thanx.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:14 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX
Is it still in stock configuration? If not what have you modded on it?

wrxdude
Old 05-04-2004, 08:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
I think you're just getting used to it. Try driving around a honda for a day or two, and then go back to the wrx. You'll feel the power again.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Werd Dizzy....I went through that after about a month of having my REX....Kept askin my friends if they thought it was losing power...They were like *NO* "damn thing is faster than ever" :banana:
Old 05-04-2004, 12:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
do a search for the ecu reset in this forum, maybe that would help
Old 05-04-2004, 01:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by DizzyWRX
I think you're just getting used to it. Try driving around a honda for a day or two, and then go back to the wrx. You'll feel the power again.
Werd... I drove my girlfriend's Ford Focus for a week while my car was in the shop. When I got my car back the damn thing felt like a race car in comparison. You are just used to it. Go grap a friend with a slow car, put said friend in the passenger seat of your car, drive like a bat out of hell and look over at them. The scared look on their face will make you realize your car is still as fast as it ever was! :banana:

-Chris
Old 05-04-2004, 04:59 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Werd... I drove my girlfriend's Ford Focus for a week while my car was in the shop. When I got my car back the damn thing felt like a race car in comparison. You are just used to it. Go grap a friend with a slow car, put said friend in the passenger seat of your car, drive like a bat out of hell and look over at them. The scared look on their face will make you realize your car is still as fast as it ever was! :banana:

-Chris
LOL.

i'm in the same boat...that's why i'm driving around in an accord this week. every morning, when i get ready to leave for work, i'm tempted to start the WRX up and take it to work...it's so tempting...that purdy blue!!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 2002 Evil Wrx
same thing happens to me. i buy power mods to get the felling back. but thats getting expensive.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
You *may* have had bad gas and the ECU may have pulled timing. Do a search for the thread called "What does resetting the ECU really do?"
Old 05-06-2004, 10:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
BTW ECU reset is easy: just unhook the negative terminal connector on the battery, depress the brake pedal a few times, wait a minute or two, then reconnect your battery. You'll know that your ECU's been reset if you lose your radio station settings.
If you want to "retrain" your ECU, there are two techniques: 1) Drive hard (eg keeping the revs high, downshifting a lot, etc.) for a while and the ECU will "learn" this style, or 2) Use Shiv's "16 points" method. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details for doing this. Try running a search on "Shiv" from Vishnu Performance.
More likely than anything though, you're just getting used to a car. If this is your first turbocharged car, then you really would've noticed the onset of boost at 3k rpm initally. However, once you get used to the boost kicking in, it doesn't "feel" as fast. Happy motoring!
Old 05-06-2004, 11:40 PM

Buy 76 gasoline
Old 05-07-2004, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
choku put it best.
my question is this. . . what kind of driving habits do you have?
try driving a little harder and revving higher too. make sure you shift smoothly tho! as for me. . . when i started to "feel a loss of power" i changed my driving habits slightly just to see. . . i would shift @ 5700-6000 rpm. . . after that . . . i was like. . . yeeahhhah!

i know its not very scientific. . . someone pls. correct me
if that is bad advice. just tryin to offer something subjectively
hope that helps

aloha
greg
Old 05-07-2004, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan
The other day I drove my friend's BMW 5-series and asked it to get on the freeway in a hurry and I again realized how fast a stock WRX really is. Night and day.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Yea, you're just gettin used to it. Same thing happens to everyone that's why we keep modding our cars to go faster and faster. A factor could also be the change in temp. The weather is getting hotter and hotter, thus the intercooler stays hotter that's why you'll notice a lose of power. Had the same problem driving last week when it was real humid outside, felt like the car was soooo slow. Our cars love the winter.

Last edited by GottaREX; 05-07-2004 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply: feels like a loss of power