Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

fans on the intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:34 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Well, not really. You've got your IC hoses in the way back there blocking part of the core.
Right, the IC hoses are down there, but aside from that, the space bellow the IC is fairly open... there is no ducting/shroud to control the air flow and its really only limited by the tranny and firewall.

-- Ed
Old 09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by john steele
Why would it not work to plumb an A/C coolant line through the intercooler using fabricated dedicated lines and install a valve to divert compressed A/C coolant (before it gets to the condenser in the car) into the intercooler prior to launch? It seems like there is a source of "cold" allready built into most engines (i.e. the A/C). By running the cooant through the intercooler it would absorb heat and one would not have to deal with fans and etc. I'm not suggesting puting a condenser on top of the Intercooler and blowing air through it. I am suggesting using the intercooler as the condenser and running cold A/C coolent through the intercooler in a closed loop system that would return the coolant to the compressor for recycling.
That would be a nice system and I believe its very similar to what the lightning(?) uses. Of course you would only want the system to be active when the car is stopped. The other thing to think about is when you actually want to use the a/c on a hot day. Wouldn't reverting the a/c coolant effectively disable the actual function of the a/c? So the choice would be to either keep myself and my passengers cool or keep my IC cool... I'd choose the latter, but my passengers would probably not be too happy about it

Besides all that, this seems like a much more involved project than mounting and wiring a fan.

-- Ed
Old 09-10-2004, 04:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Mister 2
sigh....

I was simply pointing out the weakness in your analogy. The screen bottom does not provide enough of a dp (read "pressure differential") to equalize pressure across it. That is my point.
The reason you're having such difficulty grasping this concept is because you're too distracted by your own "red herring" examples. Certainly it is extremely easy to come up with examples of the water/holes scenario that will fail; for instance, you could imagine what might happen if the stream of water entirely missed the bucket -- but to what end?

This difficulty is overcome by a simple application of common sense, which has nothing to do with the laws of physics: start by assuming that the Subaru engineers who designed this system in the first place aren't a bunch of complete idiots. If you start with the assumption that the intercooler and hood scoop setup built into the WRX actually functions, then examples such as fire hose and screen door begin to fail the plausibility test and then can be eliminated safely. Then if you add to this the fact that the intercooler setup not only functions, but is replicated across several models of cars and almost five years of production, it seems a safer bet that the fire hose/screen door scenario simply never happens. In other words, give Subaru some credit -- they did a bit of research, rather than just throwing the TMIC up there and sticking it down with some duct tape. If you honestly think that the TMIC from the STI engine emerges from the factory already in dire need of attention, then you'd probably better move on to another make and model of car in the future.

Once you're willing to confine yourself to reasonable examples that actually might have real world applications, I'm certain it will all make perfect sense.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by vaus
That would be a nice system and I believe its very similar to what the lightning(?) uses. Of course you would only want the system to be active when the car is stopped. The other thing to think about is when you actually want to use the a/c on a hot day. Wouldn't reverting the a/c coolant effectively disable the actual function of the a/c? So the choice would be to either keep myself and my passengers cool or keep my IC cool... I'd choose the latter, but my passengers would probably not be too happy about it

Besides all that, this seems like a much more involved project than mounting and wiring a fan.

-- Ed
The problem with this is that the A/C is itself a belt-driven acessory that takes its power from the engine. You'd be turning the "work" (to use the engineering sense) of cooling the intercooler into actual drag on the engine power. In a closed system, nothing is free. The power you gain from a cooler intercooler might very well be negated by the power needed to drive the A/C compressor in this capacity; and you'd need to double or quadruple the amount of tubing, coolant and most likely the power of the compressor. An intercooler gets a LOT hotter than cabin temp, when it heat soaks.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:18 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Originally Posted by meilers
The reason you're having such difficulty grasping this concept is because you're too distracted by your own "red herring" examples. Certainly it is extremely easy to come up with examples of the water/holes scenario that will fail; for instance, you could imagine what might happen if the stream of water entirely missed the bucket -- but to what end?

This difficulty is overcome by a simple application of common sense, which has nothing to do with the laws of physics: start by assuming that the Subaru engineers who designed this system in the first place aren't a bunch of complete idiots. If you start with the assumption that the intercooler and hood scoop setup built into the WRX actually functions, then examples such as fire hose and screen door begin to fail the plausibility test and then can be eliminated safely. Then if you add to this the fact that the intercooler setup not only functions, but is replicated across several models of cars and almost five years of production, it seems a safer bet that the fire hose/screen door scenario simply never happens. In other words, give Subaru some credit -- they did a bit of research, rather than just throwing the TMIC up there and sticking it down with some duct tape. If you honestly think that the TMIC from the STI engine emerges from the factory already in dire need of attention, then you'd probably better move on to another make and model of car in the future.

Once you're willing to confine yourself to reasonable examples that actually might have real world applications, I'm certain it will all make perfect sense.
Okay, now you're starting to sound like a *****. I never discounted the stock IC location. I do contend that there may be improvements to be made (water spray, splitter, fan). Notice the word "may" in the previous sentance.

I simply pointed out a flaw in your thinking which you're still not willing to acknowledge. If you're unable to understand pressure differentials and pressure gradients then my comments are falling on deaf ears. To make a blanket assumption that the entire area within the scoop above the IC is equally pressurized because Subaru engineers worked on it is stupid. All I'm saying is that it may or may not be the case but you seem very certain that it is.

Are you next going to tell me that a flat flange downpipe is better or equal to a bell mouth downpipe because the stock one is flat and a Subaru engineer designed it?

Please tell me that you don't have an engineering degree. If you do, let me know which university so I can avoid sending my kids there. My mechanical engineering degree is from the Univeristy of Hawaii and my Master's degree is in Aerospace engineering from the University of Colorado. And yes, my specialty was heat transfer and fluid dynamics. I'm done commenting on this thread.

Ken, please post up results on your findings.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally Posted by Mister 2
Please tell me that you don't have an engineering degree. If you do, let me know which university so I can avoid sending my kids there.

Bawhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry had to do it....................That's funnAy.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:55 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Okay guys, that's enough. If any of you still have any tech to post, PM it to me and I'll post it as a quote.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Intercooler tech courtesy of Mike Shields, per request by member Lachlan.