Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

fans on the intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:31 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
i am still sticking to my belief which appears to be in agreeance with meilers.

everything that i know about thermodynamics, heat transfer, physics, and fluid mechanics from school leads me to believe that computer fans will obstuct air a lot more than it could help.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:14 AM

Car Info: 2002 Wagon Blue
you could always take a block of dry ice and fuse it to the intercooler(by spraying water on it). A guy that did the texas mile shootout did that and ran the car just over 150mph with the block on his intercooler. he is running stage 4 and his EGTs never went over 1250 IIRC. he was also running 18-20 psi as well, maybe a little more. so either his tune was way off, or the dry ice really lowered the temps. NASIOC is down now, but i have seen the video that shows his speed, temps, and boost. plus I talked to him about it because i didn't believe his EGTs and boost.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
meilers,

i will prove you wrong.

with data, not a bunch of pontificating.
later,
ken
Old 09-06-2004, 09:29 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX and 99 WRB RS
I can't add much, but I'll say this:
The velocity of the air going through your IC is proportional to the translational momentum (and thus energy) it has. When the air spins a fan, some of that translational momentum turns into angular momentum coupled with the fan. Thus energy moves from the air to the fan, less energy in the air means it moves across the IC slower. How much slower? I don't know if it's slow enough to make a difference.

Cliff's Notes: The fan will slow the air, but it may or may not be enough to make a difference.

Oh, and I think I see a flaw in the baloon theory. When you're blowing up a balloon, the velocity of the air is very slow, and the change in pressure is slow, which means you are always very close to equilibrium. Air going through an intercooler at highway speeds never reaches equilibrium, so it will never "spread itself out" (it may try, but won't succeed) across the IC.

Last edited by Lachlan; 09-06-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Lachlan
Oh, and I think I see a flaw in the baloon theory. When you're blowing up a balloon, the velocity of the air is very slow, and the change in pressure is slow, which means you are always very close to equilibrium. Air going through an intercooler at highway speeds never reaches equilibrium, so it will never "spread itself out" (it may try, but won't succeed) across the IC.
No, that's not the case; it doesn't have anything to do with eqilibrium or velocity, but how compressible air is. Certainly the air at the back of the scoop will have a slightly higher PSI than the air just entering the scoop, but the high-PSI air will always flow towards an area of lower pressure, period. In this case, air under the intercooler will always have lower pressure than air entering above the intercooler; if you are traveling at sufficient speed to pressurize the air in the scoop, the air will be drawn down through (or pushed through -- pushing and pulling are the same thing, to a physicist) at an equal pressure on all surfaces. This situation happens regardless of air velocity, until the air velocity is so great that the air is skipping the scoop entirely (which supposedly can happen at over 130 MPH). Despite the claims of those selling splitters, it is literally impossible to have "dead spots" where no air is reaching the intercooler, unless you are moving too slowly to create that pressure differential between the top and bottom of the intercooler. There is definitely a time-delay between when the air gets pressurized and when it reaches equilibirium, so your instincts in this situation are correct, but the net result is the same.

If you mentally replace the air with water (the two behave with remarkable similarity) it is easier to visualize. If you pour water into a bucket with holes in the bottom, you are always going to get equalized pressure coing out of all of the holes, regardless of how fast or slow the water is enterting -- unless the flow of water is so slow that the water drains out before it reaches all of the holes. If there is sufficient water to cover all of the holes, you will get an equal stream out of each regardless of pressure or how the water is entering the bucket.

There may indeed be some conditions of vortex or nonlinear flow under the hoodscoop itself, which is probably what the splitter designs are supposed to prevent, but as long as the high-to-low pressure gradient exists, the air will still flow through the IC. The real problem, and the origin of this thread, is how to deal with those situations where you are not moving fast enough to actually create that pressure differential. Fans on top of the IC, as you note, will disturb the airflow already created by our knowledgeable Subaru engineers; fans below the IC don't have a pressure seal with the hood scoop area and don't have much room to be installed; thus why the STI comes with a water-spray system from the factory, and not fans.

My personal vote is for the block of dry ice on the IC, but this clearly isn't practical for around-town driving

Last edited by meilers; 09-06-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:58 AM
VIP Member

silver arrow, don't waste your time on non-believers: they know too much, and you don't have any clue what you're talking about.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Originally Posted by meilers
No, that's not the case; it doesn't have anything to do with eqilibrium or velocity, but how compressible air is. Certainly the air at the back of the scoop will have a slightly higher PSI than the air just entering the scoop, but the high-PSI air will always flow towards an area of lower pressure, period. In this case, air under the intercooler will always have lower pressure than air entering above the intercooler; if you are traveling at sufficient speed to pressurize the air in the scoop, the air will be drawn down through (or pushed through -- pushing and pulling are the same thing, to a physicist) at an equal pressure on all surfaces

You state that "the high-PSI air will always flow towards an area of lower pressure" and then assume that the lower pressure is on TOP of the intercooler thus leading to "an equal pressure on all surfaces". This is not the case. In case you've forgotten there is a lower pressure region under the intercooler as well. Without a splitter there will be higher pressure (and flow) thru the back half of the intercooler vice the front.

Here's a picture of the bug distribution over an intercooler as an example .

Old 09-07-2004, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
just put some sprayers in, they work 10x better than ****ty little comp fans ever will, they dont obstruct it when it counts, and it's alot simpler
Old 09-07-2004, 02:43 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Br1t1shguy
just put some sprayers in, they work 10x better than ****ty little comp fans ever will, they dont obstruct it when it counts, and it's alot simpler
why do you keep talking about computer fans?? They're obviously too small for the job and that's not what we're discussing here. Try a 330cfm SPAL fan and see what kind of difference you see.

-- Ed
Old 09-07-2004, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by Mister 2
You state that "the high-PSI air will always flow towards an area of lower pressure" and then assume that the lower pressure is on TOP of the intercooler thus leading to "an equal pressure on all surfaces". This is not the case. In case you've forgotten there is a lower pressure region under the intercooler as well. Without a splitter there will be higher pressure (and flow) thru the back half of the intercooler vice the front.
No, that's a complete misreading of what I wrote. I clearly stated several times that the area of lowest pressure is UNDER the intercooler, which is what creates the pressure gradient and thus causes air movement. Read through the water bucket example again; if you are saturating the intercooler with a sufficient amount of pressure, the flow THROUGH the intercooler will be equalized. The flow through the intercooler is clealrly NOT equalized in situatons where you don't have enough pressure, such as below 15 mph, but above that it will be. I realize it seems counterintuitive, but go get a cheap bucket, a hose and an ice pick and test it out; backard science is the best kind. You WANT air to "pile up" in the scoop; that is where the pressure gradient comes from.

The positions of bugs on the intercooler come from actual impact with it; their distribution might indicate a tendency to hug the top of the scoop when they enter it, but it is the path of air THROUGH the intercooler that is critical, and how that pressure is maintained, rather than microenvironments inside the scoop that matter. That's why you don't want anything clogging or blocking the actual airflow, regardless of its position in the scoop. Take a shop-vac to those bugs!

This is all assuming the stock IC/scoop setup of the car. With an aftermarket hood scoop or IC, a splitter might indeed be necessary because you've substantially changed the design geometry and broken the "seal" between the IC and the hood scoop itself. I've seen a setup with a third-party IC that clearly was mounted too low and at a sharper angle than stock, and didn't seal properly; that one would definitely have airflow problems and need some modification to work.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:56 PM
VIP Member

i want you to think about something.

arguements up to this point have focused on the slight obstruction to flow while the fans are not needed. arguements which are certainly true, but miss the point.

the point is that overall, the IC will have more air pass through it, and therefore remain closer to ambient temperature. the IC will ALWAYS have air being sucked down through the scoop and through the core.

let's break it down some more:

someone please explain to me how fans on the intercooler are any different whatsoever than fans on the radiator.

both will obstruct flow when they are not needed.

both are expensive, much more so than a water pump and a nozzle. (and if the damned water spray is THAT effective at combatting heatsoak while stopped, why does every car on the road today have a RADIATOR FAN? think of the money that could be saved if the manufacturers only knew how precious and effective water sprayers are! good god, they're so stupid!)

so, by now, we've hopefully got it through our heads why the fans are on the back of the radiator:

for those times when the forward movement of the car through the air is insufficient to cool the core.

if you never slow your car down, take off those pesky radiator fans, and don't think twice about needing IC fans... you just plain don't.

so again, i implore you, explain to us how the radiator is different from the IC? there is NO NEED to talk about pressure gradients, thermal expansions, hexadecimal ecu codes, the ideal gas law, polar moments of inertia, etc etc. just explain how the IC is so different from the radiator that the same methods of cooling cannot be considered.

short answer: it isn't different. convince me otherwise.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The difference is that without radiator fans, your car would overheat and fail within minutes of reaching the temperature the fans come on at. It won't suffer a failure without fans on the intercooler, obviously. It's not a valid comparison.

While I agree that you could prevent heatsoak with large-volume fans, nobody seems to have actually proven that it works. Drag race teams do a lot of goofy stuff; why hasn't anybody found a link to race team X showing how they implemented high-cfm IC fans? If one of you guys can show me where this idea was successfully implemented, this debate will pretty much be over. Until then it's a whole lot of bench racing.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:05 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
forgive me for not reading everyones posts...

my simplistic yet barbaric approach is this. coolings fans are great. at a standstill.
ever wonder why radiator fans are on the back side of the radiator?
unless you're planning on sitting at a traffic light for extended periods of time i see no positive value of cooling fans on a IC.

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Old 09-07-2004, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Originally Posted by meilers
No, that's a complete misreading of what I wrote. I clearly stated several times that the area of lowest pressure is UNDER the intercooler, which is what creates the pressure gradient and thus causes air movement. Read through the water bucket example again; if you are saturating the intercooler with a sufficient amount of pressure, the flow THROUGH the intercooler will be equalized. The flow through the intercooler is clealrly NOT equalized in situatons where you don't have enough pressure, such as below 15 mph, but above that it will be. I realize it seems counterintuitive, but go get a cheap bucket, a hose and an ice pick and test it out; backard science is the best kind. You WANT air to "pile up" in the scoop; that is where the pressure gradient comes from.
Nope, I didn't misread. You're saying that pressure will be equalized on the surface of the intercooler and I don't see how you can jump to that conclusion w/out either experimental or computational data. Take your bucket idea and instead of putting holes in the bottom, replace the bottom of the bucket w/ a screen and then shoot water onto just the backhalf of the bucket.

And yes, i agree that there is more flow restriction thru an IC so using a screen is one extreme but my argument is that making holes w/ an ice pick is the other extreme. I've seen enough experimental and computation fluid dynamics to know that more needs to be known before you can make the conclusions you've made.

Quick Reply: fans on the intercooler?