Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Factory Up-pipe Destroyed my Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 02:14 PM

well...it begs the ovbious question:

WAS it modified or abused? Some people mod their cars drive the crap out of them, then put the OEM parts back on, bring it in for service and get pissed when they get told that there's mod-related damage...just because you took it all off and think you have the right to scam SOA doesn't mean you can get mad when they don't play along. Of course the opposite happens too. SOA sees so many mod-related scammers that they automatically assume that all oddball failures are due to mods...unfortunately this is part of the price you pay for owning such a popular mod car.

I think the next thing you can do is request that a SOA corporate person look at it...and if they deny it all you can do is pay to have it fixed and then sue SOA for the money.

If you want to make the best out of a bad situation you can just call it a loss and get a catless UP and VF34 turbo to replace the broken ones
Old 10-02-2004, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Blue
Originally Posted by itwrx
What about a piece of the cat in your uppipe messing the turbo up?
Bummer Dude. hopefully they will cover it. I was wondering when you would have an update for everyone.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
what kind of BOV do you have?

you do realize that a BOV vented to atmosphere causes a temp rich condition which can damage the uppipe cat.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't see why your car wouldn't be covered under warranty, but you know Subaru. Keep us updated.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:26 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Originally Posted by Mister 2
what kind of BOV do you have?

you do realize that a BOV vented to atmosphere causes a temp rich condition which can damage the uppipe cat.
^^ what he said. put the stock bov back on the car. it would suck to see subaru blame the uppipe failure on this, but they very well can.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:10 PM

Car Info: Sold My Stage 4+ Wa-Goon :(
hmm

Digging up an older-thread.. i know however..

My buddy bought a 02 rex shortly after 'test-driving' mine one evening. He then ended up moving cross country (from ct to az) and living out there for a while. The car began to throw 02 sensor codes and smoke began to come from under the hood. Car was BONE stock. NOTHING, NADA, NO mods.

Brought it to the dealer.. they said the cat was breaking up and being munched by the turbo. They replaced the pipe and all was said and done after about 4 days of hassle. Fast forward to this past weekend. When we pulled his motor for a v7 swap. I looked at the stock turbo..blade was so scratched/fins were damaged. Go figure.

-G
Old 10-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
watch out, they blame the uppipe failure on the TT as well, saying the extra time the motor is on caused the precat to melt...total BS, but dealers and SOA have claimed it in the past.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
i hate SOA. After this, I'll probably never buy another Subaru. NISSAN, please keep producing sweet cars!

jason
Old 10-19-2004, 12:10 PM

Car Info: Sold My Stage 4+ Wa-Goon :(
Watch what you say guys and gals.. SOA and dealerships DO watch these forums..

I was approached with items i posted on here a long while ago.. when I went for a job interview at a dealership that I was po'd at a long while back.

Literally more than a year before the interview I was aggravated with the dealership/soa for not handling my clutch and paint claims. They had me talk to the sales guy and the finance dude.. Never was I told to speak witht he service manager.. but whatever.. "water under the bridge" as he said.

After a year or so.. a job opening was at the dealership for a lot rat.. i said what the hell, dressed myself in my best clothes.. corduroys and a buttondownshirt/sweater and some nice shoes and went.. I should have gone covered in grease.. but whatever. Point is.. they had a file on me there.. with printouts of what i said on the forums.. here and other forums.. so yeah.. watch yourselves.. it could come back and bite ya in the rump.

And yah.. didn't get the job.... as I was told by a member of that dealership.. thats a job for *minorities* anyway. :-(

-G
Old 10-19-2004, 12:27 PM

Car Info: '05 WRB Wagon
Good Luck with your rig - I hope SOA comes through and everything gets fixed - not always the case, but we can dream...

BTW - I was a prior Jeep owner and I was refused a warranty claim on my modded Jeep - because the service manager was able to tie me to posts I made on a specific forum.. Expensive lesson to learn for sure...
Old 10-19-2004, 02:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally Posted by WRXWagon203
Watch what you say guys and gals.. SOA and dealerships DO watch these forums..
Exactly. SOA is a bunch of underhanded scheisters. A dealership pulled stuff from Intenet forums? Believe me, I couldn't care less what they say or what they know I've said. I'd rather pay out of pocket to a reputable, local company to fix my WRX than use vacation days to argue with an SOA rep over SOA's responsibilities after I gave them $25,000 dollars for the car in the first place. I'm tired of hearing stores about people denied warranty claims for completely unrelated issues. I'm tired of hearing that I have to live with a mismatched engine and transmission. If SOA wasn't such a bad company I might buy an STi. But I'm not putting my money in that direction anymore.

Subaru of America sucks. Like I said, I won't buy another one of their cars. That they watch these forums for "ammo" makes it even worse. Thank God I'm out of warranty and did not buy the exntended warranty from them but from my insurance company who won't give me such a rediculous hassle.

jason

Quick Reply: Factory Up-pipe Destroyed my Turbo...