Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Exhaust Wrap???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2005 Metallic Gray STI
Exhaust Wrap???

Should I put an exhaust wrap(DEI Exhaust Wrap) around the exgaust manifolds, up-pipe, & downpipe???

Thanks,
MArky
Old 08-22-2004, 11:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
If you wanted to use exhaust wrap, the best place would be around the headers and uppipe. The hotter they are the better for spool up and boost. but otherwise after the turbo you dont need exhaust wrap, it won't help performance.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Originally Posted by awns729
If you wanted to use exhaust wrap, the best place would be around the headers and uppipe. The hotter they are the better for spool up and boost. but otherwise after the turbo you dont need exhaust wrap, it won't help performance.
if you wrap the downpipe you reduce under the hood temps, which is good, don't know about performance side of it,

back to the post, I have 2000 degree coated Gruppe-s headers and wrapped uppipe, i dont notice the difference from unwrapped because i've never driven the car without them wrapped, but i've read and heard from others that their cars retain egt temp longer with wrapped vs unwrapped... it just holds the EGT heat in longer than SS which disperses heat quickly, but if your car is cold...wrapping it doesn't do a darn thing which is the big misconception of wrapped exhaust parts.

also look into wrapping your exhaust housing on your turbo with either wrap or heat insulation material ( shiney stuff )... will help turbo spool a bit faster if its hot on the exhaust housing and reduce under hood temps, which is what i plan to do soon

Last edited by SsTiNgEr77; 08-23-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
I would avoid heat wrap in favor of some type of coating like jet hot as the wrap has been known to retain moisture and can eventually lead to pocking and corrosion even on SS pipes.

-Chris
Old 08-23-2004, 02:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
I would avoid heat wrap in favor of some type of coating like jet hot as the wrap has been known to retain moisture and can eventually lead to pocking and corrosion even on SS pipes.

-Chris
that problem is minimized by spraying your wrap with high temp silicone paint, DEI provides this but its basically just spray paint, makes it so water will bead off the wrap... dunno how well it works.. but in theory if there is a good layer of paint on the outside, water will have a "harder" time to soak in, so unless your in a puddle, i doubt that will be a major problem...and if anything headers are cheap and probably will have to be rewelded in 20k ne way
Old 08-26-2004, 10:09 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon, COBB clubspec, ACT street clutch and flywheel
I had the headers and collector wrapped on my saturn. I bead blasted it first, and after 2 years it was as rusted as it was before it was blasted. The header was mild steel. It did help underhood temps some, but that car heat soaked so bad anyway it made little difference.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by SsTiNgEr77
that problem is minimized by spraying your wrap with high temp silicone paint, DEI provides this but its basically just spray paint, makes it so water will bead off the wrap... dunno how well it works.. but in theory if there is a good layer of paint on the outside, water will have a "harder" time to soak in, so unless your in a puddle, i doubt that will be a major problem...and if anything headers are cheap and probably will have to be rewelded in 20k ne way
Huh, never heard that one. Seems like a pretty good idea. If I ever have the urge to heatwrap any of my future cars I will have to try that one.

-Chris