Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
exhaust questions

i put on a full 3 inch exhaust and it creeks and sqeeks any way should i have it welded? it's aluminum. what have yall done?

Also has anyone ever tried the heat wrap, that exhaust wrap or whatever, did it work, would you recommend it?

Last edited by gtfaded; 03-31-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2007, 05:47 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx @ stage 2
Hey is did you use new gaskets for your exhaust and check the if the bolts are thight.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:54 AM

Car Info: AP1 S2k
Your exhaust is hitting drive shaft shield (middle of car) and it is also hitting the rear of the car (near rear differencial). Wedge a thick rubber (coupling piece) between your exhaust and the shaft holder, and between your exhaust and the rear. Or get kartboy exhaust hangers (long) and all of your squeeky problems are done. If you go on a speedbump and you hear it squeek, then kartboy ehaust hangers will work or my coupling trick. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:59 PM

ok how bout the heat wrap?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by vietpunk916
Your exhaust is hitting drive shaft shield (middle of car) and it is also hitting the rear of the car (near rear differencial). Wedge a thick rubber (coupling piece) between your exhaust and the shaft holder, and between your exhaust and the rear. Or get kartboy exhaust hangers (long) and all of your squeeky problems are done. If you go on a speedbump and you hear it squeek, then kartboy ehaust hangers will work or my coupling trick. Good luck.
Assuming your diagnosis is correct, wedging rubber between the exhaust and the part it's rubbing isn't a good way to fix the problem. I'm having trouble figuring out how you're diagnosing his problem unless you've seen the car or at least know what TBE he's running.

I've been running a full 3" TBE for around 80k with the oe hangers and it doesn't make any noise.

gtfaded

Exactly what exhaust did you install?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 AM

downpipe w/ gasket
borla hush catback exhaust, used stock hangers sweeks and rattles alot at low speeds.

P.S. see motorsport forum, post quater mile times and mods, last post
Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by gtfaded
i put on a full 3 inch exhaust and it creeks and sqeeks any way should i have it welded? it's aluminum. what have yall done?

Also has anyone ever tried the heat wrap, that exhaust wrap or whatever, did it work, would you recommend it?
I've never seen an aluminum exhaust. You can try the longer hangers and see if that helps.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx
Kartboy XL hangers should solve your problems
Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Did you just bolt them up without any modifications and if you did what kind of gasket did you use. The DC sport has a flat flange and the Borla uses a doughnut gasket so they're not meant to just bolt up without modifications. I'm sure you did it right but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Assuming it's the hangers without doing a little investigating first is not a good idea unless you don't mind possibly wasting your money on something you don't need. The best/cheapest way to figure this out for sure is to get under the car while it's cold and wiggle the exhaust. If you hear the noise you're talking about try to find out where it's coming from. The noise could be fixed with new exhaust hangers but then again it could be something else.

My exhaust was making a squeaking noise around a year ago. I got under the car and found a broken exhaust hanger on the DP that needed to be welded. If I would have taken these guys advice I would have found out I wasted my money when I got under the car to install the exhaust hangers that I didn't need in the first place.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:30 PM

will do, heat wrap???