Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Exhaust -- "Off road use only" Er?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
Originally posted by BAN SUVS
...except for the fact that replacing the rear section IS legal (at least emissions wise) and replacing the downpipe is not. If you ARE going to replace the downpipe and you care about not getting busted, at least get one with a high-flow cat. If you keep the heat shield on your turbo they'll probably not know the difference anyway, but they will definitely see the lack of cats.
That reads backwards mate, you can change the rear section to whatever you like as long as the overall DB level does not exede (he he) CA emissions. Removing the DP is a no no unless something is damaged.

If your worried about emissions buy a catback like the stromung or similar.

If you want to see what CA folks are running in the Bay stop by our place on a Saturday there is normally 10-30 Subaru's to look at and talk to the owners.

Mike
Old 01-30-2004, 06:08 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
What part was backwards? I was very explicit in stating that all catbacks are legal and all downpipes are not. And CA emissions hasn't a thing to do with exhaust noise standards. And if you're still hoping to be helpful, maybe post a list of catbacks believed to exceed the legal decibel level.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

What part was backwards? I was very explicit in stating that all catbacks are legal and all downpipes are not. And CA emissions hasn't a thing to do with exhaust noise standards. And if you're still hoping to be helpful, maybe post a list of catbacks believed to exceed the legal decibel level.
I never said that emissions has anything to do with DB levels, simply that catbacks are legal as long as they sit within the CA DB levels here in CA.

I misread your original post as illegal not legal (my bad!) but thanks for the .

Seeing as you prompted for me to try and be helpful in your usual ***** like manor..

Exhausts known to be within the DB limit,

Greddy Evo V1
Borla Hush
Blitz Nur Spec with silencer
Helix Power with silencer
Infact most system with there respective silencers are under the DB curtain.

Exhausts known to be to loud,

Borla XR1
Perrin
HKS Carbon Ti
Blitz Nur spec

I know there is more but I don't have the time to put them all down.

Mike
Old 01-30-2004, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
I was very explicit in stating that all catbacks are legal and all downpipes are not.
Sorry to tell you this BAN, but that is an incorrect statement. All catbacks are NOT legal. Only those which state that they are 50 state legal will pass smog. However, living in California, it is VERY hard to find any catback that will pass the decibal meter. Mike has listed several, and I can think of many more that WILL NOT pass.

- HKS Hiper
- Fujitsubo (Everything)
- JIC Bullet (Titanium as well)
- Apex N1
- Apex GT-Spec
- etc etc

If you can put any of the above exhausts on a WRX and call it lega, then you are misinformed.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:21 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
if u dont want a ticket, dont replace anything... how much of a gain is a catback anyway?

i like my MRT Twin tip because its quiet when it needs to be, isn't over the dB limit (according to a test we did at UCKK), and has a high flow cat in the downpipe. even a few BAIC members looked at it and thought I had a stock exhaust...

Old 01-30-2004, 12:29 PM

Car Info: Nadda
2 words. Borla Hush. Gives the sleeper look, and nice n' quiet even with all your cats gone. Then just have the shielding put on by some steel mender, and bam, a fake lookin' downpipe that no CHP or officer can recognize. It'll look like there are cats. Uppipe is not an issue unless you're doin' cold starts. UNless your smogger is an **** checker, you really don't have to worry. And use the stock box, It's still good for runnin' high HP, and it keeps the piggies from pointin' all over your engine.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Ban Suv

Calm Down....

Gino
Old 01-30-2004, 04:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
ya man just chill last thing you want to do is **** off a drunken brit with to much marmite.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:42 PM

Car Info: civic
tommy's exhaust isn't that loud.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
Originally posted by dr3d1zzl3
ya man just chill last thing you want to do is **** off a drunken brit with to much marmite.
and even worse...a drunken (gino san)masta'
Old 01-30-2004, 05:08 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally posted by odyss3y
if u dont want a ticket, dont replace anything... how much of a gain is a catback anyway?

i like my MRT Twin tip because its quiet when it needs to be, isn't over the dB limit (according to a test we did at UCKK), and has a high flow cat in the downpipe. even a few BAIC members looked at it and thought I had a stock exhaust...

I don't know. Vivid got almost 10whp on their EVOVIII with just a cat back.

Cool color, mines black too(the wrx i mean )
Old 01-30-2004, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
was it dB legal tho for cali?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:15 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Considering how Mike has grown to love following me around the board looking for ways to contradict me, I figured the was rather restrained. Perhaps if he reserves the corrective posts to the times I actually am wrong I'll have a few more warm fuzzies for the guy.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Your right I misread your original post (I think I stated that already).

I don't look to contradict you mate, you hit on a lot of points but also miss on others (I think we all do) sorry if you misread my attempts to post information as a personal attack (they have a name for that para..) but you post around in most of the threads so it would be likely that I would post in a few of them here and there.

Mike
Old 01-30-2004, 09:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
i think ban suvs seems pretty calm

you guys shouldnt be so hard on him...he contributes so much to these forums...much of the info i know about cars is thanks to him and his answers to many many many many many questions

Quick Reply: Exhaust -- "Off road use only" Er?