Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Exhaust -- "Off road use only" Er?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:57 PM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
In california (and many other states) it is illegal to mess with any emission stuff so all of those uppipe/downpipe/ midpipes that say offroad use only because they remove the catalyic converter.

Many of the guys on here (including myself) run catless uppipe/downpipes etc. if you get caught you can be in trouble.

check out this site: http://www.mattrandolph.com/wrx.htm and look the turbo back with stock cats.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The only legal mod here in CA is a catback exhaust, and all of those are legal. Avoid intakes, that's the first thing they will be looking for if they pop the hood. If you have a stock intake, stock BOV, and stock intercooler, they won't look any farther except to check for cats. If you have an exhaust with a highflow cat near the downpipe flange, you can show it to him. Most CHP don't know or don't care that replacing your cat is illegal, as long as you have one there. If you are concerned about getting inspected by CHP, limit yourself to an uppipe (they can't see it) a catback and black IC hoses. I got cited for having a GanzFlow intake on my RS in spite of the fact it has ZERO impact on emissions, but he didn't notice my Borla headers, which DO hurt emissions.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
you can get an turbo xs stealth back which is a turbo back that uses the stock rear exhaust section so you get power gains but you won't get hassled by CHP....
Old 01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
Re: Exhaust -- "Off road use only" Er?

Originally posted by Nephelim

One thing I do know... More air in + more air out = good.
and dont forget about -Burn the air right-
thats where engine management,fuel system,and ignition comes in.

catback is legal if its below 95db.
but cops can write you a ticket if it annoys them even when exhaust is under 95db.
In that case you gotta go to court and prove that you are legal and thats a whole big waste of time.
so.. yea catback is good
Old 01-29-2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by jerseybrandon
All that matters is that magical CARB number.
Which is not available on any WRX products that I know of.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by qwk_wrx
you can get an turbo xs stealth back which is a turbo back that uses the stock rear exhaust section so you get power gains but you won't get hassled by CHP....
...except for the fact that replacing the rear section IS legal (at least emissions wise) and replacing the downpipe is not. If you ARE going to replace the downpipe and you care about not getting busted, at least get one with a high-flow cat. If you keep the heat shield on your turbo they'll probably not know the difference anyway, but they will definitely see the lack of cats.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:27 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Try Xcceleration.com. They have a two cat high flow tbe. This should be no problem for visual inspection. No luck for the up pipe. Some i have heard say to gut it. I think if your going through all that trouble though, just put an aftermarket one on and take your chances.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
yah i toss the stock stuff back on, and sense we don't have to go on the dyno we can keep the upgraded turbo and injectors in....

Hey BAN SUV's do they really check for a cat behind the heat sheild....???
or do they see the heatsheild and belive it is stock??
Old 01-29-2004, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Originally posted by Nephelim
I appreciate the responses, guys.

Now I just need to decide how much of a chance I want to take, if any.

Those of you who swapped out emissions equipment.. How do you pass the occasional smog checks? Do you throw the stock gear back on?

Another SF area guy just passed the CA smog sniffer test with ONLY a high-flow cat (MRT). The post is somewhere in the BAIC on Nabisco.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Wow I'm glad I live where i live. They don't check for any of that stuff. A Texas State Inspection just checks to make sure the car is in good running order. And the town I'm in does not really have any emissions requirements, if they do, they're not enforced. So i'll be running my downpipe with not much of a worry.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by qwk_wrx
Hey BAN SUV's do they really check for a cat behind the heat sheild....???
or do they see the heatsheild and belive it is stock??
You can't really pull the heat shields off the cats, but it's the one on the turbo I'm referring to anyway. With a heat shield on it they think it's stock, and when they see a cat in the downpipe they usually ignore it.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:06 PM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
Nephelim - Hey if you get daring, a great exhaust sytem to go with is the new Stromung 3in Turbo Back Dual Tip. It has a High flow catpipe that comes after the Downpipe and gives you the Dual Tip look so it doesn't LOOK funny to the untrained eye. Mmm they also build them in Cally and have to deal with that stuff all the time so they tried to make their exhausts more suitable to the Cally inspectors!! If you are interested in one of these Turbo Backs or if you just want to go with one of the Dual Tip Cat Backs then let me know!! Check out my thread in the Vendor Classified section.

Just a heads up to anyone interested in getting a Stromung, I am going to be running a little sale for the month of Feb to save a little green!! Keep it on the Down Low!!

It must suck to live in Cally and have to go throw all of those inspections....in Alabama they don't inspect you unless you have a horse trailer hooked up to your car...LMAO.

Let me know if I can help!

Thanks,
Brian

Flash N Dash Performance
autransam@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: Exhaust -- "Off road use only" Er?