Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Exhaust mods (possibly AccessPORT for '03 WRX)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
Exhaust mods

Hey Guys,
Just some quick background: i have a 03 rex, and I'm not really into pimping my auto. If i do mod, i like genuine parts and dont really like dealing with 3rd party aftermarket stuff.
That being said, i would like to install an STi axel back, purchase a catless DP and purchase new gaskets. The borla exhaust, which i believe is a optional Subaru part, is a bit to pricy for me, and i like the look of the STi axel back. TO the point, I'm a newb with subbies and i didnt know if i needed a cobb accessport to go along with my exhaust modd.

Last edited by ILiveAgain; 04-20-2006 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:23 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
For the 02/03's you dont NEED the AP, but it will take advantage of the bigger pipes and give you some more power. I would put in a catless uppipe first.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:20 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
If you have a catless DP and just an axleback, you'll probably want to change your midpipe as well. That will choke the airflow from your DP making your slightly larger axleback about as useful as your stock one.

I'd recommend going for a full turboback or catless DP w/catback exhaust, preferrably with a catless uppipe as well.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:05 PM

if he just wants the dp and the sti axel back that should be ok cause the wrx and sti mid pipe are the same if im not mistaken, i have a catless dp and the sti catback on my 02 it sounds perfect, its just loud enough, but doesnt draw attention
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Here's another suggestion. Go with a catless DP and a Borla Hush catback exhaust. It's pretty quiet and has the stock look (not a huge obvious cannister) complete w/the twin tips. You'll have a full 3" turboback.

I guess if you're not going to go too extensive w/the mods then keeping the stock midpipe would be alright, but then you're not utilizing the potential of the catless DP (most are 3" in diameter).

If all you want is the sound and the look, then the STi axleback helps a *little*.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by subie OCD
For the 02/03's you dont NEED the AP, but it will take advantage of the bigger pipes and give you some more power. I would put in a catless uppipe first.
If he is getting a catless dp and up-pipe, won't he need an Accessport to bypass various exhaust and emissions sensors that would cause CEL's to come on? I could be mistaken but I thought that was one of the advantages of having the AP.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:03 PM

Besides the 2.25" vr 2.5" axel back, what are the other exhaust differences between the WRX and the STi?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1sicwrx
If he is getting a catless dp and up-pipe, won't he need an Accessport to bypass various exhaust and emissions sensors that would cause CEL's to come on? I could be mistaken but I thought that was one of the advantages of having the AP.
There are two CEL fixes. One for the uppipe which is a 2.2k ohm resister that you put into the egt sensor, this gives the ecu a constant reading. The other is for the rear o2 sensor. Basicly you weld/bolt an extension for the probe so that its further away from the exhaust gases and reads lower. I dont have the ap, so Im not too familiar with its reflash. However it does have a built in CEL reader/scanner, thats a great tool to have.
Originally Posted by ILiveAgain
Besides the 2.25" vr 2.5" axel back, what are the other exhaust differences between the WRX and the STi?
WRX axleback is 2.5" also.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:31 AM

does anyone know of a company that sells a 2.5" catless downpipe? or a 2.5" 3rd cat delete?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 AM

If you want to keep your oem axleback or use an STi axleback, take a look at the TurboXS stealthback exhaust. Its a 4" downpipe that tapers to 3" at the midpipe, then goes down to 2.5" so you can connect your factory axleback. You can get it catless or with a highflow cat after the downpipe.

Instead of buying a 2.5" catless downpipe, you could always gut out the cats. Or buy a used oem exhuast and gut that so you still have your original.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:18 AM

How big is the exhaust outlet for the stock WRX turbo? I think a 4" DP is designed for a aftermarket turbo, but i could be wrong. Sounds like a nice option for a sleeper thou. I've read alot about gutting cats, but it would be nice if someone had a link to a write-up on gutting.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:14 PM

4" TXS bolts up perfect with the stock turbo. Here is mine, with a comparison of the stocker --
BTW, I have the full turboback using the TurboXS standard muffler and high flow cat.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:38 PM

well suck me sideways.
That’s a pretty efficient design.
Does anybody have a link for a cat gutting write up?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:10 AM

Ive found alot of good info, but it would be nice if someone could link me to a write-up for gutting a cat.

Also, I would like to buy new exhaust gaskets. I was planning on purchasing them from the dealer, but if anyone has some advice on this issue, it would be welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited by ILiveAgain; 04-24-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:42 AM

bump for some advice

Quick Reply: Exhaust mods (possibly AccessPORT for '03 WRX)