Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Exhaust... (hopefully this won't ever have to be talked about again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
the SEARCH feature will get you your own personal results, pertaining to every exhaust made, also we have a parts review section https://www.i-club.com/reviews/.... also please dont patronize this club by saying you need knowledge from those who are knowledgable, cause whoever were to respond to this would be knowledgable...obviously this subject has been dicussed one too many times that questions like this would be looked down upon. now i understand you are new to this it seems, but we have other ways around this then asking. ALso do your own research is a easy way to accomplish things. also on the front page (home page) there are many vendors listed for you to browse. now after you have researched and their are questions unanswered in your research please feel free come back and ask.

oh and welcome to the club

ps just realize i wasnt trying to lecture you, just questions like this can be avoided. cause in my nub years i have been told many times also.

Last edited by nic3krnnamja83; 01-23-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:39 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Space Monkey
What is the best exhaust system to get the maximum power gain
IMO the best exhaust is the Vishnu Performance Signature Series for the WRX. Available with or without high-flow cat in divorced wastegate gate downpipe. 3" mandrel-bent stainless tubing. Call them or post in their i-Club vendor forum for availability and pricing - last I heard it costs about $1650 but is sometimes on backorder for several weeks. Photo courtesy of Egan.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust... (hopefully this won't ever have to be talked about again)-vishnusigseries_with_cat.jpg  
Old 01-23-2005, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
I'm no expert but I think most TBE's will give you close to the same performance gain. I love my TXS DP but I wouldn't say that it's the best.

Last edited by MO REX; 01-23-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:06 PM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
Many people go with the Helix uppipe and downpipe so you can look into those. then you can choose whichever catback you like.

some quiet exhausts might be: Greddy Evo, Borla hush, stromung
a little louder would be: HKS, Blitz NurSpec, Apexi GT-spec
Old 02-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Turbo magazine did a review back in 02 or 03. The overall winner on top, which id like to move to was the Greddy EVO exhaust. For the sound, it had the most power gain out of all the tested exhausts. HKS beat it by 3 hp on top end but is argueablly very loud.
I like loud but somedays, i'd like to hear myself think and hear the radio without cranking it.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Turbo magazine did a review back in 02 or 03. The overall winner on top, which id like to move to was the Greddy EVO exhaust. For the sound, it had the most power gain out of all the tested exhausts. HKS beat it by 3 hp on top end but is argueablly very loud.
I like loud but somedays, i'd like to hear myself think and hear the radio without cranking it.
The Evo had the 3rd worst gain in HP and torque of the 12 tested http://www.mattrandolph.com/wrx/cat-...omparisons.htm, http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/02...ust/index.html but like you said, it is quiet and loved by many. I started off with the Blitz Nur-Spec R and got sick if the melon shooter tip and the need to use the silencer so I went with a Stromung and I couldn’t be happier.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
You might want to look into the APS 3" turboback as well; you can get it in a dual-tip version that is extremely stock-looking, but there is zero performance cost (the combined diameter of the dual tips is actually larger than the single-tip model diameter) and a really polished sound. I've heard that they clunk badly on wagon models, due to how they are mounted, but I've heard them run and it is an extremely "pure" boxer sound.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MO REX
The Evo had the 3rd worst gain in HP and torque of the 12 tested http://www.mattrandolph.com/wrx/cat-...omparisons.htm, http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/02...ust/index.html but like you said, it is quiet and loved by many.
3rd worst? sounds like it was on the looser list ..hahaha.. i know that was just a weird pick of words but 3hp and 2ft/lbs off from HKS's numbers are nothing a butt dyno can notice..half twist of a boost controller can take care of the 3 hp differnce
Old 02-02-2005, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
3rd worst? sounds like it was on the looser list ..hahaha.. i know that was just a weird pick of words but 3hp and 2ft/lbs off from HKS's numbers are nothing a butt dyno can notice..half twist of a boost controller can take care of the 3 hp differnce

I was just trying to point out that the Tanabe and M2 were the only Cat backs in that comparison that produced less HP and torque. Don’t get me wrong, I would much rather have the Evo than the Blitz or the Skunk 2 since the additional 10+ db would be a lot more noticeable than 4 HP or 5 ft/lbs of torque. The way I understood the original post was that he wouldn’t be using a MBC or EBC, he is looking for max performance and didn’t care about db levels and that is why I pointed out the HP and torque thing.

BTW, I'm not an expert on the subject and I'm not saying the comparison is bunk but it's kind of hard to believe that a cat back would produce an additional 15 ft/lb or 14 HP with the stock DP.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MO REX
BTW, I'm not an expert on the subject and I'm not saying the comparison is bunk but it's kind of hard to believe that a cat back would produce an additional 15 ft/lb or 14 HP with the stock DP.
Im totally with you Mo rex on the catbacks, everyone has thier own criteria of what they think is good, mine USED to be the noticible note and added power, now im swaying to comprimising a few hp for a more reasonable level of cabin noise.
But absolutely true on the switching up from stock, even from the point of an axel back switch up you can free up some ponies.
I've been able to monitor the hp difference with my custom JUN axelback section vs my stock via my blitz powermeter-id. I lost a significant amount of hp when i went back to stock temporarily (for cross country trip) but noticed an increas in midrange torque with the obvious quietness associated.