Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Exhaust/burnt oil smell at negative boost driving uphill

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 06:50 AM

Car Info: _
Exhaust/burnt oil smell at negative boost driving uphill

what's up guys,

I was in on a similar thread over at Nasioc about the smoke/burning oil/exhaust smell that was happening to some WRX owners, sometimes coming out of their hood scoops, sometimes inside their cockpit. I have now had this problem for over a year now and wondering if anybody has new info to share.

The problem is that I can get an intermittent smell of exhaust/burnt oil through my vents when driving UPHILL on the freeway ONLY AT negative boost (or neutral boost). The smell goes away when I step harder on the gas and the boost goes positive.
I'm running stock everything except for an UP, Samco's, and catback. I thought perhaps it was a leaky gasket on either side of the turbo, but then I would probabley hear it and/or smell it all the time, right? Especially under higher boost, no?

Other members have said that it could be the oil fittings to the turbo leaking or the compressor sleeve bearing letting oil blow-by at negative boost, when it's overspooling. I've even thought it could be the wastegate perhaps?

I guess the weird part about the symptoms is that this does not happen on the flat freeways, only on this uphill stretch when I'm driving home...I go into partial boost on the incline, get up into 4krpm, boost levels off, and then the smell comes faintly through the vents, when my boost gauge is at or below 0 psi.

I'm thinking about pulling the turbo this weekend, replacing the gaskets and reseating the faces, along with checking the oil lines & shaft play. Maybe even getting another stock turbo to replace it.

Any input or developments?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-09-2004, 07:01 AM

Car Info: _
FYI
Here's the nasioc link :
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...3&page=1&pp=25