Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Exhaust back-to-stock questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Exhaust back-to-stock questions

Hello everyone,
I'm going to be putting my stock exhaust back on because I got a ticket for having a loud exhaust. I plan on keeping the stock exhaust back on so I can sell the vehicle (smog) and then sell the exhaust system minus the uppipe I have a few questions that you may be able to help me with.

1. I know it is best to replace gaskets every time that you change it out, but would there be anyway I can reuse any of the gaskets? I remember reusing a gasket when I originally put the exhaust system on. I'm running low on money for this pay period and want to cut corners if possible. I would rather do the job right the first time to prevent from having to do the job again.

2. I have an inline CEL fix for the Helix turbo back for the O2 sensor. Should I reverse that whole process to get it to smogged right. I don't want it to run all retarded after I do that change and I also want to pass the smog after that.

3. Is there any place online that has an online DIY tutorial or perhaps an exhaust diagram schematic so I can get in there and get the job done quicker? I'm going to be carless while I do it and will be doing it at a friends house. I want to be completely prepared to do the job without having to make any trips for parts, gaskets.

4. Does anyone know the exhaust bolt sizes?

5. Anyone know all the gaskets I need from the turbo back? Anyone know where to buy a complete aftermarket gasket set? The gaskets from the dealer are going to be about $60 =( . (I hate being broke)

Thanks to everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Dan
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
I have reused my exhaust gaskets plenty of times. I've reused my downpipe to catback gasket about 8 times..... but when I took the axleback off the gasket crumbled. so... I think you will have to take them off and examine them for yourself.
my helix downpipe's bolt sizes are
downpipe to turbo - 14mm
downpipe to catback 14mm and 17mm (the bolts that were supplied by gruppe-s when I bought my helix catted downpipe )
and the rest was 14mm and hangers.
www.crucialracing.com are the gaskets i'm running right now
Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX
Originally Posted by DemonPossessed
I have reused my exhaust gaskets plenty of times. I've reused my downpipe to catback gasket about 8 times..... but when I took the axleback off the gasket crumbled. so... I think you will have to take them off and examine them for yourself.
my helix downpipe's bolt sizes are
downpipe to turbo - 14mm
downpipe to catback 14mm and 17mm (the bolts that were supplied by gruppe-s when I bought my helix catted downpipe )
and the rest was 14mm and hangers.
www.crucialracing.com are the gaskets i'm running right now
Awesome, Thank you