Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Evans Cooling systems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 04:22 AM

Question Evans Cooling systems?

I just read the article in GRM about this stuff. Anyone have any experience with it? If you believe their tech info, this sounds like it would be the perfect coolant to fix our problems with cylinder 4 overheating...

http://www.evanscooling.com/html/tech1.htm

Last edited by wolfen42; 04-13-2004 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:45 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
hmmmm have you tried watter wetter and a better radiator? how would this be better? i read the claims of never over heat hmmmm thats impossible
Old 04-14-2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by sigma pi
hmmmm have you tried watter wetter and a better radiator? how would this be better? i read the claims of never over heat hmmmm thats impossible
Actually, I've been trying to investigate my options before this becomes an issue.

I think I'm going to give it a try based on this guys advice. So far I haven't heard any info from any of the WRX people that this stuff would cause any problems.

This is the info I got from a guy on the GRM forums:

"Evans Non-aqueous Propylene Glycol, or NPG for short, is good stuff. While technically it transfers heat worse than plain water (W) and/or ethylene glycol (EG), in practice it works much better because it doesn't boil (microscopically or otherwise) on hotspots. Water vapor is a great insulator, so any locallized boiling prevents the hottest areas from transfering heat to the coolant as rapidly as it should. NPG, on the other hand, uniformly bathes the block so it controls the hot spots better. Add to this that is can be run at low or no pressure, so there is less stress on hoses and seals, plus no danger of vaporizing all the coolant due to loss of pressurization (burst hose, cracked radiator, etc). In sub-freezing weather, it actually contracts (never freezes), so it won't crack the block. And your pets and children can drink it without being poisoned. The only downsides are: (1) cost, (2) local availability, and (3) you can't "top off" with water, so you have to always have extra around. On the other hand, provided you don't contaminate it, it will last the lifetime of the car (drain it to a clean pan when you are working on the system, then just pour it back in).

Here's some more info, which I wrote up for Pineapple Racing: <http://www.pineappleracing.com/Prod-EvansNPG.html>

Also, the lastest issue of GRM has an article, though I haven't had the time to read it yet....
Rotary Engine Illustrated"
Old 04-14-2004, 02:52 PM

Car Info: WRC replica
I read the article already, but which one should we try npg or npg+? How many gallons we need on stock WRX rad?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:32 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
NPG+ (the regular NPG is too viscous to use unless you upgrade cooling components)

I know a few MR-2 owners who've had much success with the NPG+. There have been some evedence in MR-2 turbo motors that some localized boiling is occuring leading to failure of the #3 cylinder.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by orwrx
I read the article already, but which one should we try npg or npg+? How many gallons we need on stock WRX rad?
NPG+ sounds like the one we should use. The info I found for coolant amount was 8.1 qts but I don't know if we get a complete drain using the radiator drain plug. I'm thinking of having a local jiffy lube type place do a flush using that Sierra stuff. (which is Propylene Glycol in a different state) Then fill with the NPG+... guess it depends on how much they'll want to charge me...
Old 04-15-2004, 07:21 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Here's my friends website with his experience w/ NPG+
http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/mr2modproject.htm

Check out the "MR2 Modifications" tab on the left side for some temperature data that he recorded.

Also check the "Service Howto's" tab on the right side for how he flushed his system prior to filling with NPG+.