Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

engine transplant - need advice! (blown engine in version 5 STi RA)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 07:31 AM

Car Info: WRX STI RA
engine transplant - need advise!

i just blew my engine! :cry:

i have a ver 5 wrx sti ra and have searched for the same engine but to no avail. i have only found a ver 6 sti engine (front clip) and a ver 7 wrx engine (front clip)

which should i buy? the series 7 has only 15,000 kms on it and is still very fresh but i'm concerned that it won't fit on my car? experts please shed some light on this! i need to decide ASAP since these engines are hard to find and will be gone soon if i don't grab one of them!

oh! the difference between the WRX and WRX STI is that STI version has more torque than the WRX only version but has the same Horsepower, right???

please as much inputs, suggestions and advise are needed and appreaciated! thanks!

Last edited by big dawg; 07-18-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
All Subaru 2.0 and 2.5 liter turbo engines should fit in the same engine compartment. Engine outside dimensions are pretty much the same from year to year with the bolted-on accessories presenting a possible problem (but probably not).

High output JDM engines are rated at 280 hp because of a Japanese mandate for the home-market that cars not be equipped with engines that exceed that output, or 276 hp, or something close to those figures. This means that some high performance engines are purposely underrated from the factory, or the hp figure quoted is at a different rpm than the peak power of the engine. I don't know if this applied to all Japanese vehicles or just a certain class. So to answer your question, the good engines can actually produce both higher hp and torque output, especially with aftermarket tuning.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 03' Subaru Impreza WRX - R.I.P.
The engines you have available are from different chassis cars so there will be some differences. Your best bet is to find the lowest mileage/ best condition jdm motor and do a swap - all versions should all fit in your car, and the easiest way to repair a blown motor is if you are just changing the bottom end (shortblock and exhaust manifold), more modifications will have to be done the more work you are doing toward a complete front clip swap.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:59 PM

Car Info: WRX STI RA
thanks for the reply guys
Old 07-29-2006, 07:08 PM

Car Info: WRX wagon
hey man that sux that u blew ur engin, if u dont mind telling us, how did u blow ur engin? turned it up a lil high?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Good luck with the transplant.