Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Downpipe Thermal Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Blue
Downpipe Thermal Wrap?

I am about to install a PDE downpipe. I am trying to decide between cutting the heat shield to fit or putting some thermal wrap on. I wanted to find out which is better for keeping the heat out of the engine bay. If anyone has done the thermal wrap, I want to hear how you like it.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:22 PM

personally i would cut the heat shield and just use it. i have heard of the heat wrap trapping in moisture and causing exhaust pieces to rust. just what i have heard tho, anyone else heard this or have any info. what do you guys think about wrapping the intake?
Old 03-12-2003, 09:29 AM

I don't have a wrapped down-pipe. I am getting ready to have my BPM wrapped up-pipe installed. Yes I have heard the horror stories about the wrap trapping the moisture and rusting the pipes.

I E-mailed another memeber from the "other" club about his experiences with the Thermo-tec wrap. He had both his up and down pipes wrapped and after a year or so he took the parts off (he didnt say why) and checked them out. He stated that there was no rust on them whatsover and claimed that since we are using Stainless Steel in up and down pipes then we are fine.

I bought the stuff and called the Thermo-tec information line person. He was very knowledgeable and had tons of information and he said basically the same stuff. It was that when some folks put the wrap on some headers (not made of stainless) then folks experienced these problems. He went on to say that the incidences that he heard about rusting were from many years ago.

I used the Graphite black thermo-tec wrap and am going to use the spray as well.
have fun
Old 03-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Turbo's don't melt.

I would do both. Wrap and heatsheild.

There is a possibility of cracking, but it barely happens. Mostly if you wrap the manifold, not the DP. The DP's don't get hot enough.

I am going to wrap the uppipe and the downpipe.

You want to keep the gases as hot as possible. The hotter the gas, the higher the velocity. Hense, better spool-up. Of couse, your engine bay temps will also drop.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Admin v2.0

A fool?

No, a person who does his research and evalutes the advantages and disadvantages of both will wrap whatever he wants to wrap.

Turbo's don't melt. Seals do. So blades. But you said:

The turbos run red hot now any hotter and they will melt.
I am sure you referred to the exhaust housing, since you cannot see neither the seals or the blades.

The housing will not melt, unless you are talking TopFuel dragsters.

The greater the temperature, the higher the velocity. Thats why wrapping your manifold and uppipe is benefitial.

Wrapping downpipe will not give you any valuable performance gains, but it will keep engine bay temps lower.

You cannot wrap the turbo using conventional wrap. They sell "turbo" blankets which work great. But, for a turbo, I prefer a regular heatsheild.

The key to cracking and wrapping is thermodynamics of metal. The fact that the metal expands at high temps and shrinks at low temps can attribute to cracking. However, if your entire manifold is wrapped and doesn't have any air pockets, it will heat up and cool off evenly and gradually and not crack. If you wrap it poorly and cause portions of metal be exposed, it will crack since the exposed areas will cool much faster and shrink when the rest of the wrapped pipe will not do it fast enough to compensate.

Hotter exhaust gases will also reduce the emissions by activating the catalysis process in the cat faster. Hense all the wrap on the stock pipes.

Advantages of PROPER wrapped exhaust system are huge.

Disadvantage is potential cracking if not done right and fire hazard. If oil gets on the wrap, it will burn like a tourch. Not pretty.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:11 PM

Jet-Hot 2K & Thermo-Tec wrapped

My TurboXS u/p & d/p are Jet-Hot 2000 coated & Thermo-Tec wrapped & have been installed since late October. I was just going to wrap the pipes, but was waiting to-o-o long for the UTEC so I had them Jet-Hot 2K coated. The pipes are coated inside & out. Even though their web site indicates substantial heat retention, the coating was not all that *I* expected .. and still had too much time on my hands, so I wrapped them also. I had some thoughts about effieciency and cooler engine bay temps, but mostly had too much time to think about it.

I used the black graphite stuff just as BlueGargantua did and spray sealed the wrap with the stuff from Thermo-tec.

I also called Thermo-tec & he highly recommended that the sealer be used to prevent oil soak and fire hazard as Imprezer mentioned. Our oil fill is on the other side of the engine ... but to be safe and all that is needed is one can which is cheap.

I also got the turbo blanket from Thermo-tec, but did not use it. I am running a VF34 so a little trimming of the stock turbo heat shield & it fit fine ... stuck with that because it looked better and I can always with little trouble remove it & put the blanket on.

Results; since Oct. I obviously haven't had any summer heat to swelter in, but have had plenty of spirited runs. After those runs you can put your hand on the d/p ... can't keep there tight, but you can hold it for a moment. Of course engine bay temps are way down. By August I will know a lot more.

I also just purchased an infrared thermometer & will be able to tell more about the temps when the weather becomes more moderate.

Lastly, the rumors about stainless "rusting" have some truth. However, it is not rust and it is not caused by trapped moisture. When stainless alloy such as T304 is subjected to high temp (>800 deg F) hydrocarbon gases, the carbon in the stainless is "leached" out. This is called carburization. The remaining material is weak & flakes away. Thus, a wrapped pipe will be much hotter than a "naked" pipe exposed to ambient temps. Unfortunately, I have no information on the rate that this occurs at the temps that are present in our exhausts.

Last edited by PsiStar; 03-12-2003 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:45 AM

If the exhaust system (including possibly turbo) is wrapped the retained energy flows through the turbo. Thi result is more of that "free" exhaust energy that the turbo is tapping into to begin with. The energy that the turbo extracts cools the gases. PV=RnT; thermodynamics.

It has been mentioned and measured many times in the discussions about cold air intakes having no effect because the WRX is intercooled.

What does affect the intake system is the intercooler getting heat soaked. Keeping the engine bay temps down is a secondary benefit. Unless you are at the drag strip & have the opportunity to water/ice down the intercooler. But, that is a little difficlut for a normal drive.

Therefore, engine bay temps definitely affect performance especially in city traffic in the summer and the intake temps are *almost* irrelavant. Searches in the forums will help this, but basically the turbo & down pipe heat "chimney" up through the intercooler & out the scoop.

Several have experimented with various fans within the engine bay. Conclusions when measurements are made (as opposed to just opinion) are that even additional fans (that fit) without an outside air supply cannot flow enough to make any difference. The radiator fans do not help. A search here & at nasioc could help.

Like the stories of "rusted" stainless steel, there is some fact in the cracked turbo housings. Those stories too, are from "a number of years ago". Alloys are improved. Designs are improved. Admittedly I do not *know* for certain about the stock turbo nor any aftermarket turbo of *current* manufacture. However, in 2 years of lurking & reading forums & discussing with a few in the business ... I have found *no* reports of cracked turbo housings of these current designs. Also, never provided are links to those DSM threads that describe the design of *that* system.

It is difficult to find real facts in forums. But, one thing for sure whether the individual is at fault or not, if they have a problem they will usually raise holy h---- typically blaming Subaru. I have not seen anything like that re; tubos.

Lastly, if you are going to play, be prepared to pay. If the gamble of a cracked turbo housing is a major concern, don't wrap. Of what can go wrong I considered it minor cause for concern. Most likely the real issue will be blown clutch, tranny, or engine with the after market HP increases.

Last edited by PsiStar; 03-14-2003 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Admin v2.0

Engine bay temps have a lot to do with performance. You have your TMIC sitting there so it will soak all the heat as will all my FMIC pipes. Then, there is your intake manifold, TB and finally inatke. All those parts will be hot and your intake temps will go up and reduce the density of your charge and reduce performance.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Admin v2.0

Haha,

Now it is obvious you are a DSM head.

I "was" one too.

Yeah, Subaru's are a tad unique.

- Alex
Old 03-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Admin v2.0

Once again, like I said, cracking will only occur during the cooldown. And the WRC cars do not cool down in between the runs.

Quick Reply: Downpipe Thermal Wrap?