Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

DIY Grounding KIT

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 10:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally posted by Wrxplaya11
5. .............. I see wrx's with grounding kits that have 2 wires going to the strut tower bars. THESE ARE HORRIBLE GROUNDS!!! Keep it simple. ..........

why are the strut towers bad gounding points? They are an integral part of the vehicles chassis.....which is what you are supposed to run electrical grounds to, the chassis, not the body, although the WRX is a unibody type vehicle which translates into the chassis and the body being pretty much the same piece, for the most part. I am not trying to start a flame war here, I am seriously curious, maybe you know something I dont, and knowledge is power.....so please correct me if I am wrong.

-Ted
Old 12-22-2003, 10:52 AM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Originally posted by GotBoost?
why are the strut towers bad gounding points? They are an integral part of the vehicles chassis.....which is what you are supposed to run electrical grounds to, the chassis, not the body, although the WRX is a unibody type vehicle which translates into the chassis and the body being pretty much the same piece, for the most part. I am not trying to start a flame war here, I am seriously curious, maybe you know something I dont, and knowledge is power.....so please correct me if I am wrong.

-Ted
The reason people say the strut towers are bad grounding points are because the bolt is essentially bolted into a plate that sits ontop of a slab of rubber. I haven't personally checked it out (I intend to because I am doing this mod in the near future) but if that is the case, it's not the best grounding point...

-D
Old 12-22-2003, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally posted by KmanRuffian
The reason people say the strut towers are bad grounding points are because the bolt is essentially bolted into a plate that sits ontop of a slab of rubber. I haven't personally checked it out (I intend to because I am doing this mod in the near future) but if that is the case, it's not the best grounding point...

-D

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, I see, that makes sense.....

I guess I'll be moving my DIY grounds then....LOL

Thanks Kman*

-Ted