Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Crucial Racing Systems Uppipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Crucial Racing Systems Uppipe

looks pretty nice

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=56327
Old 03-22-2004, 11:55 PM

bout $250
Old 04-02-2004, 05:29 AM

Yeah... I'm resisting the temptation to order one NOW NOW NOW myself... it's so purty....

(Say, anyone else find it a bit disconcerting that someone created an account and their first post looks a bit like an ad?)
Old 04-02-2004, 08:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
It looks like sweet up pipe. i wonder how much of a difference the thermal coating makes.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:50 AM

I'm hoping the thermal coating gives you something at least as effective as the stock heatshields... (I've been going back and forth between ordering this or an STI catless uppipe)
Old 04-02-2004, 12:53 PM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
If I may respond, look at a heatshield and at a pipe coated inside and out. There is no comparison. The coated pipe has a clear advantage.

Now, look at the inside of the STi pipe and see all of the poor welds and flow disrupting joints. The coating on the inside of the Crucial pipe is almost slick. Again, no comparison.

BTW, I own Crucial Racing Systems. We do NOT sell retail.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Blue
Originally posted by WR-blue04
Just picked up my Crucial Racing uppip today!!!!!!!!! Dave at Infinite performance out of ct. helped me out . This upppe by far is the best uppipe on the market!!!!!!! See www.infinite-performance.com and email cave he will take good care of you
Originally posted by wolfen42
Yeah... I'm resisting the temptation to order one NOW NOW NOW myself... it's so purty....

(Say, anyone else find it a bit disconcerting that someone created an account and their first post looks a bit like an ad?)
agreed

edited to remove duplicate quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
WERD......that pipe is monneeeyyyy.....
Old 04-28-2004, 07:57 AM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
Here's a review by Smorris at clubwrx.net.

Crucial Racing Systems (uppipe review)
Product Reviewed: Crucial Racing Systems uppipe http://www.crucialracing.com (no web site, just a splash page)
Purchased from: Infinite Performance http://www.infinite-performance.com
Price: $249.99 plus shipping
Installed in: 2002 WRX Wagon

Summary: Highly Recommended!

I installed the Crucial Racing Systems uppipe in my wagon a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to write a review on the product.

First off, the Crucial Racing's uppipe is a work of art! Perfect welds, surface ground mounting faces, bends are smooth without hint of a kink or stretching of the pipe. The ends of the tubes appear to be machined and chamfered before being welded into the flanges. The flanges are surfaced ground dead flat, and the tapped holes for the studs are properly chamfered. The TIG welds are as good as those on expensive titanium mountain bikes. Almost too perfect to hide under the car!

In one of Infinite's threads, I read that the uppipe goes through a six step coating process, which I think included stress relief, bead blasting inside and out, then aluminum oxide blasted, coated, baked, and them polished. It really is a masterpiece!

The kit included five new studs, three gaskets (uppipe-to-turbo, uppipe-to-manifold, and downpipe-to-turbo), a 2.2 ohm resistor, and instructions. The studs appear to be coated, and installed easily with high temp anti-seize. This is a huge bonus for anyone who has had to try getting the studs out of the OEM uppipe! I used the existing nuts from the OEM uppipe.

The Crucial Racing Systems uppipe does not include an EGT bung, so the OEM EGT sensor is cut off near the plug and the resistor is wired in to avoid a CEL.

The gaskets installed and sealed up perfectly. These are much better gaskets than the stock pieces, and I was surprised to see that I was getting the downpipe gasket. I was about to order one when I was told it was included with the uppipe. Another $15 bonus.

Installation was time consuming, but not too difficult, as described by many other threads. I used a combination of the included instructions, those for the Perrin uppipe, and the amazing tutorial put together by TubbyTreats and included in the clubWRX.net tutorial forum! The uppipe lined up with the mating surfaces perfectly, and the gaskets sealed up tight. I installed the resistor per the instructions (as well as the PEP CEL eliminator for the downpipe), and was ready to go!

I've been driving the car for almost two weeks now, and have not had a single leak or CEL. I still need to replace the downpipe-to-midpipe gasket (installed Oakos Automotive downpipe at the same time - also highly recommended!) so I do hear leaking at that junction.

Performance is markedly improved, and spool-up is much quicker. There is more low end grunt, and it pulls better from a corner. I'm anxious to see how well it improves my autocross times! The sound is just perfect, without being too loud. You can really hear the turbo easily, now.

Great job, Russ! There are already a lot of uppipes available for the WRX, and maybe Crucial is a little late to the game, but definitely with a quality part! This product should soon be the standard by which others are measured. Highly recommended!

Here is a link to my istallation thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showt...&threadid=60529

(Standard disclaimer, no affiliation of financial interest in Infinite, Crucial, Oakos, etc. other that Russ is just a good guy trying to make premium performance parts that stand out above the rest. Plus he's an old fart, too )

Here's the link to his thread, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=61929
Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
$250, no thanks

thats too expensive

Quick Reply: Crucial Racing Systems Uppipe