Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Cobb Tuning 3" Downpipe...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:17 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
Cobb Tuning 3" Downpipe...?

I'm on a mission to get set up with a 3" turbo-back exhaust system that retains one cat, and preferrably is near stock noise levels. This has pushed me towards the Borla Hush system so far. The problem seems to be fitment...the TurboXS catted DP doesn't fit without some welding, and I want to be able to bolt on right out of the box. (No good shops around here...) It looks like this Cobb piece will mate up perfectly...am I correct? Has anyone had any experience with it yet? If not, are there any other suggestions as to what I can do here? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
I am running the TurboXS turboback with a cat, and didnt have to weld anything

(well the axle back, but thats cause I used a different muffler)

where did you see you have to weld something for fit on the downpipe ?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:07 AM

I was under the understanding that the TurboXS catted downpipe doesn't mate up with the Borla Hush catback. That's what I'm talking about. My ideal setup is the Hush catback with any 3" catted DP that will bolt up. Unless there's another exhaust out there that doesn't get much louder than stock...
Old 02-26-2004, 07:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
In order to use the turboxs downpipe with an aftermarket catback, you'll need an adapter which turboxs sells, but disables you from using a cat. Now if you were to get the turboxs stealthback, you can use any aftermarket axleback with it and not have to weld anything. The only problem with that though is that the stealthback tapers off to 2.5" at the outlet, inlet to the axleback. I have a turboxs stealthback w/ high flow cat, mated to a prodrive axleback, and it is still very quiet, and the power gains are very noticeable.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:11 AM

That was a thought...the way I understand it, the regular TXS DP is a strange length and won't allow for the stock mid-pipe to be used, which throws the Borla out of the equation since it mates with the stock catted midpipe. If possible, I'd like to stay 3" all the way as well... This is why I was interested in the new Cobb piece, since it retains a high-flow cat and also says it mates with the stock cat-back system. It seems like this might be the only bolt-on option.

I'm interested in doing this pretty soon...I do have a slight delay while I get an insurance issue and body repair taken care of.(My car was hit in the parking lot at work by a delivery truck...last time I park closest to the building...=P) I have a tax refund that's burning a hole in my pocket, and I want to get things freed up for a reflash.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:40 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
I own a TurboXs TBE. The downpipe is catless, it goes from a 4 " to 3" opening. That end hooks up to a 3" high flow cat which is also 3" on the other end. There also is the option to go catless with a off-road race pipe which is really a 3" straight through pipe that substitutes the Cat. Now here comes the part most people don't know, at least thats what I believe. The catback section of the TurboXs consists of a pipe that starts off with a 3" opening and then smoothly tapers down (at the very end) to a 2.5" opening. The 2.5" part then connects to their Magnaflow muffler with 2.5" piping all the way through or can be connected to their RFL muffler with 2.5" piping. I have not seen the Stealth back first hand but from what I gather its pretty much the TBE minus the muffler. Thus allowing the buyer to simply connect their stock muffler to the part of the pipe that tapers down to 2.5". I spent quite some time on the phone with TurboXs to question why they didn't go 3" all the way through to the muffler ..... interesting conversation (but thats another story)..... So to me it seems TurboXs TBE minus muffler section = TurboXs Stealth back. I hope that helps with your decision. =)
Old 02-26-2004, 07:04 PM

Car Info: WRX Shooting Brake
I applaud Cobb for actually offering a catted downpipe. They are getting rare these days. Huzzah for Cobb!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
You can mate the TurboX downpipe to the Hush, as stated above in this thread TurboXS sell a catback adaptor piece for the downpipe which will allow it to mate to any system out there. Here is the tricky bit though, the Borla Hush is designed to bolt on exactly the way the stock unit does so right at the slip flange it tapes to accept the stock doughnut gasket. To make this seal correctly on 99% of aftermarket downpipes you will need to either cut off the flange and taper section of the Borla and weld a new 3" flange or cut the slip piece on the Borla and weld it solid.

Hope this helps some.

Oh if you need a Hush system modified to fit we would be happy to do that, as I would imagine would any shop selling the Hush.

Mike

(510) 487-4447
www.mpjperformance.com
www.gb-motorsports.com